Windows 10: Microsoft will remove option to clear Downloads folder using Disk Cleanup

Discus and support Microsoft will remove option to clear Downloads folder using Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft revealed recently that it will remove the Downloads option from the company's Disk Cleanup tool. Microsoft introduced the new option in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Nov 9, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft will remove option to clear Downloads folder using Disk Cleanup

Microsoft revealed recently that it will remove the Downloads option from the company's Disk Cleanup tool. Microsoft introduced the new option in Windows 10 version 1809. The company made the decision to make the option opt-in which means that users had to select it actively to include the downloads folder in the cleanup operation.

The classic version of Disk Cleanup will be replaced by the Settings version of Disk Cleanup.

Microsoft confirmed the removal of the Downloads folder option in Disk Cleanup in the release notes for build 19018.

Based on feedback, we’ve decided to remove the downloads folder from disk cleanup

Reports of users who had their entire downloads history deleted by Disk Cleanup started to emerge soon after the release of Windows 10 version 1809. Users who checked all options regularly that the tool provided were hit and that is likely the main reason why Microsoft decided to remove it.

Tip: There are plenty of free third-party tools available that replicate Disk Cleanup functionality such as CleanMgr+ or Clean Space.

Microsoft will remove option to clear Downloads folder using Disk Cleanup disk-cleanup-downloads.png

Most users interested in tech were probably not affected by the inclusion as they were informed about the change on this site and others. Those who don't follow sites that reported about the new feature may have run into the issue.

The downloads folder is the default folder on the system for file saves. While it is possible to change the folder or save files to other folders manually, it is save to say that most Windows users use it for their downloads.

Some of these downloads are likely temporary in nature, e.g. a program installer, a new wallpaper image, or a torrent file. Other files downloaded from the Internet may not be temporary in nature, e.g. an invoice in PDF format, a new music file or video, or a new portable game.

The removal ensures that the Downloads folder won't be cleared accidentally anymore.

Future versions of Windows 10 will also change the Storage Sense options for the Downloads folder. The option, found under Settings > Storage > Configure Storage Sense or run it now, have an option to delete files in the downloads folder that are older than a specified date currently; this option is changed to apply only to downloads that were not opened for the specified time period. The two options provided by the new option are "never" and "60 days".

Closing Words

Was is a good idea to add the cleaning of the Downloads folder to Disk Cleanup / Storage Sense? Microsoft must have thought so in the beginning as it would not have added it otherwise. While it is unclear how downloads are handled by the average Windows user, it seems likely that most put downloads in the default folder. It is clear that this means that important files are put next to files that are needed temporarily only.

If users don't move the important files out of the downloads folder every now and then, they could have run into issues with Disk Cleanup deleting all the files in the folder.

Now You: how do you handle downloads on your system? (via Deskmodder)

Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft will remove option to clear Downloads folder using Disk Cleanup appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Nov 9, 2019

2. DISK CLEANUP

Hello,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

1. Which files are you trying to delete using disk clean up?
    2. Which version of Windows are you currently using?

Please reply back with the information to the above questions in order to provide you with appropriate troubleshooting steps:

I understand that you are trying to free up memory using Disk Cleanup. If you are trying to delete files using disk cleanup on Windows 10, I suggest you to refer the following article on

Disk cleanup in Windows 10
    for steps to perform disk clean up on your PC.

Hope it helps.

Sandeep Kumar M

Microsoft Community – Moderator

Sandeep_KM, Nov 9, 2019
  3. badcrc Win User
    Disk Cleanup - downloads folder

Just noticed that 1809 disk cleanup now has downloads in the list - could cause problems if you're not paying attention. I'm used to blindly ticking all boxes...

Microsoft will remove option to clear Downloads folder using Disk Cleanup [​IMG]

badcrc, Nov 9, 2019
  4. f14tomcat Win User

disk cleanup out of order?

If Edge is open, there will be a lot of locked files.

To delete files in the Temporary Internet Files folder (or cache) in Microsoft Edge, follow the steps below:

• Open your Microsoft Edge browser.
    • Click on the More Actions menu with three dots, then select Settings.
    • Below Clear Browsing Data, click Choose what to clear.
    • Select the data that you want to delete.
    • Click Clear.

Also, as an alternative to Disk Cleanup, try the command line version, as Admin:

%SystemRoot%\System32\Cmd.exe /c Cleanmgr /sageset:65535 & Cleanmgr /sagerun:65535

f14tomcat, Nov 9, 2019
Thema:

1. Microsoft will remove option to clear Downloads folder using Disk Cleanup - Similar Threads - Microsoft remove option

2. How to use Cleanup Recommendations on Windows 11 to Clear Disk Space

in Windows 10 News
    How to use Cleanup Recommendations on Windows 11 to Clear Disk Space: [ATTACH]Some of us are enjoying the latest Windows 11. The new OS ships with a new feature called Cleanup recommendations. This gives us recommendations that we can use to Clear disk space. In this guide, we show you how we can access and use it to free up disk space. We all...
  3. Disk cleanup does not remove Windows Update Cleanup

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Disk cleanup does not remove Windows Update Cleanup: Trying to remove Windows Update Cleanup files either using Settings windows or Disk Cleanup, it displays 4 GB of occupied space by Windows Update Cleanup but I cannot remove it either way. I tried:Running Disk Cleanup as administrator,Running Disk Cleanup in SafeMode,Manual...
  4. WINSXS folder will not clear down using DISM or SFC / Disk cleanup

WINSXS folder will not clear down using DISM or SFC / Disk cleanup: Hi, I have 3000 Windows 10 LTSC 1609 devices to manage and a large majority have the same issue. They all have 32GB SSD's and the majority of the space is taken up in the WINSXS folder and in turn the Temp\PendingRenames I have read and tried many articles using DISM...
  5. Disk Cleanup not clearing Windows Update Cleanup

Disk Cleanup not clearing Windows Update Cleanup: I have been trying to clear my windows update cleanup for a bit now. I followed this answer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/disk-cleanup-dont-cleans-windows-update-cleanup/1ef71d60-64d5-4de0-ac98-fcb6834bcffa on this post. But it did not work for me. I...
  6. Disk Cleanup not deleting items in Download Folders

Disk Cleanup not deleting items in Download Folders: Hi, I am using Disk cleanup tools to clean my PC once in a while. I found a problem while trying to clean my Download folder. As per the size stated in Disk Cleanup, my Download folder is empty 0kb. But in actual fact, there are still some big sizes folders in the Download...
  7. Deleted "Download" folder files in using disk cleanup

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Deleted "Download" folder files in using disk cleanup: I'm not aware that in newer version of Windows 10 (i don't know in what particular update) that they included in Disk clean up the deletion of Download files. And now i can't recover anymore my files even using any recovery tools. I already downloaded many files in download...
  8. Disk Cleanup - downloads folder

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Disk Cleanup - downloads folder: Just noticed that 1809 disk cleanup now has downloads in the list - could cause problems if you're not paying attention. I'm used to blindly ticking all boxes... [img] 122195
  9. Disk Cleanup Tool & Storage Sense now offer to clear Downloads folder

in Windows 10 News
    Disk Cleanup Tool & Storage Sense now offer to clear Downloads folder: [ATTACH] Disk Cleanup Tool – The inbuilt tool that comes with Windows had always been used to reclaim space. It used to be handy even during regular usage or after Windows installation to delete those backup files. While the tool is [...] This post Disk Cleanup Tool &...
  10. Options missing from Disk Cleanup

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Options missing from Disk Cleanup: When I run disk cleanup I only get these 3. [img] I should have all these I think. Any ideas why not? They are still missing if I click on "Clean up system files" also. [img] As a guess I copied...