Windows 10: Microsoft Windows 10 Update screwed up my Icons AGAIN!!!!

Discus and support Microsoft Windows 10 Update screwed up my Icons AGAIN!!!! in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; A recent Windows 10 update changed all my custom Chrome shortcut icons to a blue ball? If I try to make any changes they all revert back to the ball.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by RichardLunder1, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Microsoft Windows 10 Update screwed up my Icons AGAIN!!!!

A recent Windows 10 update changed all my custom Chrome shortcut icons to a blue ball? If I try to make any changes they all revert back to the ball. I am the onle person who uses this computer and have full Admin Rights to make any change, but I have tried all the reported fixes and nothing works. I am tired of this MS BS and want my Icons fixed!! Why do I have to jump through hoops to fix my PC when it was Microsoft who screwed it up? Wake up MicroSoft...Fix my computer....There is no reason to mess with my Chrome Icons just because I don't care to use Microsoft's Explorer. I am about to dump Microsoft, windows and my PC's and switch over to Android tablet or a Chrome Book.

:)

RichardLunder1, Jun 29, 2020

2. Microsoft Botches Up UEFI Support for Windows 7 on ASUS Motherboards

Microsoft Windows 10 Update screwed up my Icons AGAIN!!!! [​IMG]

Microsoft suggests updating to Windows 10 to patch Windows 7
    • Tweet
    • Facebook
    • Google plus
    • Send to
    9 Comments

MICROSOFT HAS confirmed a potentially lappy-borking problem that it won't be fixing, because Windows 7.

Woody Leonhard, the respected Windows columnist, points to a problem involving Asus motherboards, which also appear rebadged in a variety of other manufacturers' machines, and the activation of UEFI Secure Boot for Windows 7 in a patch KB3133977.

Short version: install update, welcome to Borksville, population you.

Both Asus and Microsoft acknowledged the problem. Microsoft entitled the article "BitLocker can't encrypt drives because of service crashes in svchost.exe process in Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008 R2", but we prefer to just call it "Trevor for brevity."

The firm's advice was that it's an optional update, leave well alone, you'll be fine, or alternatively turn secure boot off.

Then Microsoft did a silly, silly thing.

It moved the update from 'optional' to 'recommended' and anyone who reads this site regularly will know what happens when Microsoft does this. That's right boys and girls - it makes it automatically install, unless you've specifically told your machine not to.

So now, if you have one of the affected motherboard and you keep your security updates automatic like wot Microsoft recommends, then your machine will stop working properly.

We should add it's not permanently bricked, but it will take some mucking about in the BIOS to fix and that's a pain even for an experienced computer user.

Microsoft has, by offering a workaround, suggested heavily that it won't be fixing the problem, though we have asked the question, so expect a response in about a fortnight.

But the real kicker is this piece of advice: "Note The Secure Boot feature is supported in Windows 10. To learn more about the security advantages of this feature and about the upgrade path from Windows 7 to Windows 10, go to the following Windows website"

Holy toledo, this company really knows how to rub people up the wrong way.

After all - if the advice is to manually avoid the update or move to a version of the operating system where there's virtually no control over updates, then Microsoft is dealing in massive contradictions.

A more cynical site would suggest that it's yet another example of Microsoft running Windows 7 into the ground and adding built in obsolescence to encourage quicker updates. But we're not that sort of site.

Its the patching to force secure boot that is the problem win 7 does not support secure boot
    hence it borks systems and well microsofts answer is Cactus >your Asshole > insert

from the inquirer

dorsetknob, Jun 29, 2020
  3. microsoft updates screwed up my computer

Today 10/28/2016 Windows 10 Forced Updates just screwed up my computer again. This is three times now in recent history with the exact same problems as a result. What Microsoft has done to me again is forced an exaggerated panoramic view on every component
    within Windows, so that everything from all my desktop shortcuts to programs and video windows all now have extended panoramic width added to them, screwing everything up. So today I tried to roll Windows back to a previous restore point which it will not
    allow, nor will it allow me to successfully uninstall the new updates. So once again I am stuck with a screwed up computer.

I am going to go out today to an Apple Store, and buy a new computer as I will never again buy or own a Windows Based Computer ever again, even if my life depended upon it. Death before another Microsoft product ever again. At this point I would add a whole
    host of expletives telling Microsoft what they can go do with themselves, if they simply would not use that as an excuse to delete my post.

MSheffieldXG, Jun 29, 2020
  4. Microsoft Windows 10 Update screwed up my Icons AGAIN!!!!

Windows Update does it again: Disappearing Desktop Icons

Icons disappeared after the update, i know it was one of te 80+ updates

The link i found on msdn is to audit the events that accounts do and i will hunt down which process does it. But they say this issue happens on monday, YES today is thursday and I was only logged in yesterday in morning for a short time and not again until today.

Damn you microsoft.

EDIT: I've set up the auditing for deleting and when it happens again it will trace what did it, need to wait a week or so.

RuskiSnajper, Jun 29, 2020
Thema:

Microsoft Windows 10 Update screwed up my Icons AGAIN!!!!

1. Microsoft Windows 10 Update screwed up my Icons AGAIN!!!! - Similar Threads - Microsoft Update screwed

2. the win10 auto update screw up my home server again

in Windows 10 Gaming
    the win10 auto update screw up my home server again: This is not first time I got the same issue. The windows 10 auto update screw up the things and both regular start up and preparing automatic repair stuck in the blue window black background screen. I search the answer and the official suggestion is to reinstall the windows....
  3. the win10 auto update screw up my home server again

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    the win10 auto update screw up my home server again: This is not first time I got the same issue. The windows 10 auto update screw up the things and both regular start up and preparing automatic repair stuck in the blue window black background screen. I search the answer and the official suggestion is to reinstall the windows....
  4. the win10 auto update screw up my home server again

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Update screwed Audacity ---AGAIN---

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Update screwed Audacity ---AGAIN---: for the umpteenth time, windows 10 update SCREWED my ability to record audio by actually CHANGING MY PROGRAM!!!!!!!!! and now, I need to, for the umpteenth time, to record audio, ROLL BACK TO A PRIOR BUILD does anything UNDO what windows did without having to roll tis back?...
  6. Windows 10 update screwed up my computer.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 update screwed up my computer.: Here is proof: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-screwed-up-my-computer/e5b3362c-86f9-4742-8bd0-8b4f43dad2a1
  7. Recent Microsoft Update screwed up my Computer

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Recent Microsoft Update screwed up my Computer: On Wednesday 6/25/2020 I got a notification for a Critical Update gor Windows 10, I hit “Update& Restart” but ny HP computer never came back on, there was a constant Resart Loop for hours overnight that kept saying Recovery Failed. After additiobal hours trying to allow it to...
  8. Windows updated screws up my computer AGAIN!!!!

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Windows updated screws up my computer AGAIN!!!!: I really DESPISE that MS thinks they are GOD and can have control over my computer!!! I should be allowed to opt out of their untested update pushes! So, it has done something to disable my sound. I have gone to the Device Manager and checked for all available updates-...
  9. Windows 10 update screwed up my laptop

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Windows 10 update screwed up my laptop: 1. Wont recognize my pin 2. Wont let me reset, gives an error mssg 3. On airplane mode and does not give an option to connect https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/windows-10-update-screwed-up-my-laptop/2ea4ed42-613b-49f6-acb0-7b0914d5bf6b
  10. Desktop Icons screwing up again.

in Windows 10 Customization
    Desktop Icons screwing up again.: New computer, only browsers have been added. I have many shortcuts to web sites arranged on the desk top to make them easier to find. I create one more and place it where I want it. Some time later, it doesn't like to stay where I placed it. It moves to the left side of...