Windows 10: Microsoft Windows 10 Updates - most inopportune timing

Discus and support Microsoft Windows 10 Updates - most inopportune timing in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; When someone has to work, and make one's own repair tools for your unstable BCD and file system, the last thing they need to do is wait for you to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AbrahamBrody, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Microsoft Windows 10 Updates - most inopportune timing

When someone has to work, and make one's own repair tools for your unstable BCD and file system, the last thing they need to do is wait for you to Restart and then Update or Shut down and update. You don't give people the option to turn off the update mechanism until they need it. Push updates are a horrible idea. Please remove them. Allow people to separate the update and restart process and the update and shut down process. Allow people to choose when they apply updates.

Furthermore, because certain firmware is not always applied by all manufacturers at the same time, forcing the update before one is ready means they get into a boot loop upon applying an update to Windows 10. This is a frequent problem. Updates should only be applied when someone is good and ready to update. People use their machines for mission critical functions, and they can't always update at your whim Microsoft.

Thank you.

:)

AbrahamBrody, Feb 13, 2019

2. Is it time for Windows 10 already?

For those that don't have the tray notification.

If you don’t think any of these conditions apply to you, and you’re still not seeing the icon, you can also try running the solution below, which will verify your device meets all the prerequisites and then turn on the Get Windows 10 app:

• Open Notepad
    • Copy the following text and paste it into Notepad:
    REG QUERY "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\UpgradeExperienceIndicators" /v UpgEx | findstr UpgEx

if "%errorlevel%" == "0" GOTO RunGWX

reg add "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Appraiser" /v UtcOnetimeSend /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

:CompatCheckRunning

schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser"

schtasks /query /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Application Experience\Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser" | findstr Ready

if NOT "%errorlevel%" == "0" ping localhost >nul &goto :CompatCheckRunning

:RunGWX

schtasks /run /TN "\Microsoft\Windows\Setup\gwx\refreshgwxconfig"

• Click File, and then Save As
    • In the File name box, change the file name to ReserveWin10.cmd

• Then click the dropdown next to Save as type, and select All files (*.*)

• Select the folder you would like to save the file to.For this example, let’s choose to save the file to the C:/Temp folder.Then click Save.

• Open an elevated command prompt.(From the Start screen or Start menu, type Command Prompt in the search box, and then in the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and selectRun as administrator.)

• Finally, run the file from the location you saved to in Step 6.In this example, you would type the following in the Command Prompt window and hit Enter:

C:/Temp/ReserveWin10.cmd
    The Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser can take 10 – 30 minutes to run, during which the script will continuously provide status reports that it is running. Please be patient.

If the script is failing in an infinite loop, then you don’t have the necessary prerequisite Windows Updates. Besides requiring Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update, you must also have installed:

For Windows 7 SP1:

KB3035583

KB2952664

For Windows 8.1 Update:

KB3035583

KB2976978

ThE_MaD_ShOt, Feb 13, 2019
  3. 95Viper Win User
    Is it time for Windows 10 already?

Again, for those that want the update reservation and you meet the requirements ---> Upgrade to Windows 10 for Free

And, some info from the FAQ page:

Also, some interesting info from the Specifications page:

95Viper, Feb 13, 2019
  4. Microsoft Windows 10 Updates - most inopportune timing

Microsoft Selects Dolby Audio for Windows 10

it would've been great if microsoft added HEVC decoders, LAV filters along with other codecs with Windows 10, and developing WMP to be better than VLC, KMPlayer and such sorts of media players.

Nevertheless, this is good step for microsoft, by far.

Analog_Interface, Feb 13, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft Windows 10 Updates - most inopportune timing

1. Microsoft Windows 10 Updates - most inopportune timing - Similar Threads - Microsoft Updates inopportune

2. Most accurate time server for Windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Most accurate time server for Windows: Hi,I wonder which is the most accurate time server for Windows 11 other than time.windows.com?Thanks very much. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/most-accurate-time-server-for-windows/5303412c-edbb-421f-81b2-99c16f54e66e
  3. Most accurate time server for Windows

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Most accurate time server for Windows: Hi,I wonder which is the most accurate time server for Windows 11 other than time.windows.com?Thanks very much. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/most-accurate-time-server-for-windows/5303412c-edbb-421f-81b2-99c16f54e66e
  4. Windows 10 spend most of its time

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 spend most of its time: If you ask me which task Windows 10 spend most of the time on. My answer would be Windows update and Windows 10 also use much more my internet data than I watch Youtube....
  5. Most Recent Windows 10 Update

Most Recent Windows 10 Update: I got that big update in the last 10 days. On its way to the desktop, it showed some new things. I was in a hurry and skipped past it. Is there a way to get back to that OR is there a list of new features available? One thing that I keep running into and don't know how I am...
  6. Laptop unusable most of the time

Laptop unusable most of the time: Hi guys, please bear in mind I am not technically minded. My laptop is Lenovo ideapad 320 and runs Windows 10. Every 2-3 days the laptop starts being laggy and giving Not Responding errors and I find an update is pending. The updates take 5-10 hours and restarting the...
  7. Windows 10 Windows Update not displaying most updates

Windows 10 Windows Update not displaying most updates: Hello, I have a strange problem with one on our laptops. About a month ago I noticed that when Windows Update would run many of the updates it found would fail installation then on subsequent runs it would not re-prompt them or attempt a reinstallation of the failed...
  8. Windows 10 Windows Update not displaying most updates

Windows 10 Windows Update not displaying most updates: Hello all, I have a strange problem with one on our laptops. About a month ago I noticed that when Windows Update would run many of the updates it found would fail installation then on subsequent runs it would not re-prompt them or attempt a reinstallation of the failed...
  9. The most latest updates for windows 10

The most latest updates for windows 10: Afew weeks ago i just received a new notification from windows...it tell me that the system need to be update and as usual i just accept the update and after about an hour its done.Once its been already been update the system in my laptop looks so bad....once i insert my...
  10. Windows Updates at Most Inconvenient Times

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows Updates at Most Inconvenient Times: Because I was tired of having Windows Update automatically install updates at the most inconvenient times, I paid for and installed Pro just so I could use the group policy editor to set Updates to Notify but don't download or install. This is an expensive solution to what...