Windows 10: Microsoft: Windows 10 Users Should Say No to Chrome and Firefox

Discus and support Microsoft: Windows 10 Users Should Say No to Chrome and Firefox in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Hey Jeff, good morning first of all. Can you try downloading a picture with it, by "save as" and see if you get the picture or just a place holder like... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by Cluster Head, Oct 22, 2015.

1. BunnyJ New Member

Microsoft: Windows 10 Users Should Say No to Chrome and Firefox

I just saved your sig with the "save picture as" and it works just fine for me. The picture is saved and not just a place holder. *Smile
    Oh and morning!! *Wink

BunnyJ, Oct 24, 2015
  2. Cliff S New Member

I tried twice at Bing images and only got this:
    Microsoft: Windows 10 Users Should Say No to Chrome and Firefox [​IMG]
    and then this
    and lastly another picture and got this

Cliff S, Oct 24, 2015
  3. BunnyJ New Member
    Wow.. odd. I just tried it again and here's the image I saved.

Are you using the RTM or the insider build(10565)?? I'm using the insider build and the save works just fine,, it could be an issue with the build you're using. Edge might still have a bug in that build.

BunnyJ, Oct 24, 2015
  4. Cliff S New Member

Either that (using 10240) or I'm using it wrong(said set something wrong).

I was having problems with Groove's tag reading, but after ripping a few hundred of my CD'S last week and letting WMP set defaults, I let WMP and Groove build their libraries and tag and everything was perfect.

I figured out, what had happened is, I moved stuff(folders) around with file explorer and not the music players, and totally corrupted the tagging.

So I reset Groove by uninstalling and reinstalling and reset WMP using troubleshooter, then I tagged first with MediaMonkey, then let both the other two players build their libraries. Now Groove works as a player perfectly.

Moral of the story, if something isn't working correctly, it's usually somehow my fault*Redface

Cliff S, Oct 24, 2015
  5. Tony K Win User

There must be something wrong with your system, Cliff. I just saved your Avatar as you can see. Try it in IE and see. It may be your File Explorer.

Edit: Never mind. I see you have it fixed. *Thumbs

Tony K, Oct 24, 2015
  6. Cliff S New Member
    Odd I just tried again and it worked*Eek*Confused

at Bing Images too

I bet with Edge at Bing images I have to go to the actual image, where as with IE right clicking the thumbnail place holder will get me the actual image. Must have something to do with the sandboxing of WinRT apps and security. Meaning less chances of malware drive-by's.

PITA but secure...

Cliff S, Oct 24, 2015
  7. Tony K Win User
    Not sure what you mean. I can save a pic in edge anywhere, web page ad pics, here, even thumbnails on Bing pics pages, so you made progress, but not quite there yet I would guess. However, I remember having that problem in a build along the way. Never did figure it out. With the next build it was fine.

Tony K, Oct 24, 2015
  8. BunnyJ New Member

Same here.. I can save images from the thumbnail as well.

BunnyJ, Oct 24, 2015
  9. clayto Win User
    Soon after I installed Windows 10 I received a pop-up from my Norton anti-virus advising me not to use Edge as default because, lacking extensions, it as insecure. When I made Chrome my default it disabled Cortana / Search. I was advised to make IE my default instead, although I am not over-keen on it. That worked, but I still use Chrome because I have a Chromecast and because it has several extensions I like.

I also use Edge from time to time, to get used to it, but so far I do not see very much that is special about it. I will not be considering it as my default until extensions arrive --- then it will depend on what is available. Edge has some way to go before it matches the hype.

clayto, Oct 24, 2015
  10. Cliff S New Member
    source

I wouldn't trust what Norton say's sorry...

Cliff S, Oct 24, 2015
  11. tinmar49 Win User
    I put Firefox on mine some time back when the Edge was somewhat unstable. I use the Edge now by default.

tinmar49, Oct 24, 2015
  12. Tony K Win User
    Edge is a WinRT Modern Store app much like the immersive IE11 in 8/8.1. It fits MS’s plan of OS API architecture with apps running across all devices mainly due to various screen sizes and different processors. They are sand-boxed for safety as well. Another is that apps run in conjunction of one another. That was shown via Charms in 8/8.1 and still exists in 10, but in a different way. WinRt is a completely different animal than other Windows APIs . There are many reasons why MS is changing to it.

There won’t be plugins and/or extensions in Edge as we have known them in the past for its WinRT API, not the old Windows APIs. e.g. Edge still has a popup blocker, Adobe Flash, and use of a different search engine options as seen in advanced settings. These are all extensions, but not in the old sense of the word. They must all conform to the new MS standards as mentioned previously.

I use Edge frequently as a tester, but sometimes get frustrated with it and I’ll change to IE for a while. Just as when the Store apps in 8 were introduced they were in their infancy and have come a long way with functionality, so will Edge. It’s what I consider a “teenage app”. It’s actually a good concept in browsing. It just needs some more development just as IE, Chrome, FF, or any other browser did through the years.

If one still needs plugins for Googleworld or Appleworld then use a different browser. I’ve been moving over to the walled garden concept more and more. Much better functionality in computing and navigating along with safety as time goes on.

Tony K, Oct 24, 2015
  13. Gary Win User

Be a cool sig..LOL

14. Tony K Win User
    Thanks for that link, Cliff. That pretty much explains the safety I'm speaking of. I think MS got sick and tired of the cost of patching holes. That's why the walled garden aka closed platform concept, which BTW was introduced by someone else.

Closed platform - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tony K, Oct 24, 2015
  15. Winuser Win User
    I just saved a .jpg and it worked for me. Edge is a good browser even though it's far from being finished. I still prefer Pale Moon/Firefox. *Smile

Winuser, Oct 24, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft: Windows 10 Users Should Say No to Chrome and Firefox - Similar Threads - Microsoft Users Should

2. Firefox and Chrome not working on Windows 10

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Firefox and Chrome not working on Windows 10: Hello, i just upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. I started it off with installing Firefox but when I try to launch it nothing happens. I looked at Task Manager and when I launch Firefox, 2 or 3 Firefox processes appear but they dissappear after 1 second. The same thing...
  3. Downloading chrome or firefox

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Downloading chrome or firefox: My new laptops won't download chrome or firefox. I think Microsoft is doing this on purpose because I see threads going back at least 2 years with same problem and it hasn't been addressed. I now can't even get the "offline" programs. Any help with this? Should I just...
  4. Microsoft family and Google Chrome or Firefox Mozilla

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Microsoft family and Google Chrome or Firefox Mozilla: My son asks permission to use Google Chrome or Firefox Mozilla. I login to my Microsoft account and give the permission. But it still doesn't work in his account. Help! My son need google Chrome to learn....
  5. Avast and AVG Browser Extensions Spying On Chrome and Firefox Users

in Windows 10 News
    Avast and AVG Browser Extensions Spying On Chrome and Firefox Users: If your Firefox or Chrome browser has any of the below-listed four extensions offered by Avast and its subsidiary AVG installed, you should disable or remove them as soon as possible. - Avast Online Security - AVG Online Security - Avast SafePrice - AVG SafePrice Why? Because...
  6. Can't run Chrome or install Firefox when switching users

in Browsers and Email
    Can't run Chrome or install Firefox when switching users: New system I built. Everthing works fine until I switch users to my other account. I cannot download Firefox; absolutely nothing happens. Further, Chrome did install but running it, even as Admin, does absolutely nothing. Don't understand what could be going on. Thanks....
  7. Firefox vs Chrome

in Browsers and Email
    Firefox vs Chrome: I switched back to Google Chrome from firefox some months ago and it's been fine...However, i got curious *Wink today and decided to download Firefox again and play with it to see how it is now...One thing i did observe is that it does seem more snappy about loading in web...
  8. Help Microsoft has hijacked Firefox and Chrome

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Help Microsoft has hijacked Firefox and Chrome: I am on windows 10 PRO (that I paid for no less) version 1709 (Build 16299.726), the last update to my machine was KB4090007. Now no matter what I do Chrome and Firefox ( even I.E and Edge) open to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/. I have set the start page in all browsers to...
  9. Help Microsoft has hijacked Firefox and Chrome

in Windows 10 Customization
    Help Microsoft has hijacked Firefox and Chrome: I am on windows 10 PRO (that I paid for no less) version 1709 (Build 16299.726), the last update to my machine was KB4090007. Now no matter what I do Chrome and Firefox ( even I.E and Edge) open to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/. I have set the start page in all browsers to...
  10. Flash crashing in Firefox and Chrome /Windows 10

in Browsers and Email
    Flash crashing in Firefox and Chrome /Windows 10: On Chrome nothing happens. Media loads but doesn't play. On Firefox it says Flash has crashed. I tried to disable the protected mode as Firefox Support suggests. My Windows 10 is quite buggy. 34093