Windows 10: Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription

Discus and support Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I thought I would bring this over here as well & it should clear things up. At its press event today, Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by groze, Jan 21, 2015.

1. groze Win User

Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription

I thought I would bring this over here as well & it should clear things up.

Read more - Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription - PC Gamer

:)

groze, Jan 21, 2015
  2. JDog554 Win User

Rollback after 1 year validity expires

Here you go: Proof

JDog554, Jan 21, 2015
  3. The Buns Win User
    Will there be a Windows 10 Subscription in the future?

So Microsoft being as vague and confusing with their wording as always!?

As a side note even though I requested a free upgrade months before W10 was released I am still waiting for my email invitation in January 2016! lol

I have requested it a number of times also. No wonder why I mostly use a Mac these days as they don't have this type of service! Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription :)

The Buns, Jan 21, 2015
  4. Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription

There has been a fair bit of conjecture on this already. What it said in your link is the way I read it. A limited time offer on the free upgrade. Once the offer expires you'll pay for the upgrade. If you upgrade during the free period there will be no further charges once the free offer times out.

alphanumeric, Jan 21, 2015
  5. gzt7d8 Win User
    Wow, from the broadcast I was figuring that we would have to pay for the upgrade after the free period expired but based on this article, it means if you upgrade during the free period, there is no further costs...period.

Why would they do that? Are they figuring that people won't move to Win 10? That's a cash cow for Microsoft, this is like giving free dope to the addicts.

gzt7d8, Jan 21, 2015
  6. It's like the free Media center keys they offered, a limited time offer. Why are they doing it? My guess is it's due to the negative reception Windows 8 got. It shipped on a bunch of OEM PC's and those users are kind of stuck with it. This gives them a chance to go to 10 for free. After the year is up they will charge for Windows 10 so it will eventually make income for them. It's really good PR wise too.

7. labeeman Win User
    It's like the free Media center keys they offered, a limited time offer. Why are they doing it? My guess is it's due to the negative reception Windows 8 got. It shipped on a bunch of OEM PC's and those users are kind of stuck with it. This gives them a chance to go to 10 for free. After the year is up they will charge for Windows 10 so it will eventually make income for them. It's really good PR wise too. It will also get more people to upgrade that are on legacy equipment maybe they can avoid an XP.

labeeman, Jan 21, 2015
  8. Charlie Win User

Free upgrade sounds good but I would prefer a clean install. Is that to be free also? If so how? *Cool

Charlie, Jan 21, 2015
  9. It's like the free Media center keys they offered, a limited time offer. Why are they doing it? My guess is it's due to the negative reception Windows 8 got. It shipped on a bunch of OEM PC's and those users are kind of stuck with it. This gives them a chance to go to 10 for free. After the year is up they will charge for Windows 10 so it will eventually make income for them. It's really good PR wise too. It will also get more people to upgrade that are on legacy equipment maybe they can avoid an XP. Exactly, there will be some that will take advantage of the offer that otherwise wouldn't. Even if they could afford to pay. For some, all they need to see is the word free.

10. I don't know, but also want to know?

11. Wynona Win User
    Gimme my fix, gosh dangit! NOW!

Wynona, Jan 21, 2015
  12. labeeman Win User
    It's like the free Media center keys they offered, a limited time offer. Why are they doing it? My guess is it's due to the negative reception Windows 8 got. It shipped on a bunch of OEM PC's and those users are kind of stuck with it. This gives them a chance to go to 10 for free. After the year is up they will charge for Windows 10 so it will eventually make income for them. It's really good PR wise too. It will also get more people to upgrade that are on legacy equipment maybe they can avoid an XP. Exactly, there will be some that will take advantage of the offer that otherwise wouldn't. Even if they could afford to pay. For some, all they need to see is the word free. The more users M$ has on W10 the better it is for a unified OS they are dreaming of but if you have 3 versions of Windows to write programs for that will not happen.

labeeman, Jan 21, 2015
  13. fireberd Win User

I hate the "subscriptions". My recording studio program, Sonar, just went to "subscription". Actually we can buy it outright or on a monthly "subscription" (monthly payment). I just don't like the "subscription" term applied to it. Gibson Guitar Co bought Cakewalk Sonar and this is the first "zap" we are getting from the acquisition. Corporate bean counters at work.

fireberd, Jan 21, 2015
  14. 1. I don't want a upgrade because I don't want to loose a W-7 COA key.
    2. I never did like a upgrade. I want a fresh complete install.
    3. If I have to pay for it so be it.
    4. I always prefer a DVD from Microsoft with a new COA that I can keep forever.
    5. That would allow me to do a dual boot with W-7 and W-10 each on their own ssd. I have the hardware so I not going to give up W-7 just to get W-10 free. I don't want to burn the bridge behind me until I get a good look at the road ahead.

Layback Bear, Jan 21, 2015
  15. I don't have the answers to those questions but I'm sure you'll get your answers as time goes by. You won't be the only one looking for answers.

Thema:

1. Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription - Similar Threads - Microsoft sold subscription

2. Virtualized Versions of Microsoft 11 Sold by Microsoft Vendors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtualized Versions of Microsoft 11 Sold by Microsoft Vendors: I purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro IV in the summer of 2016 at a Best Buy near Nashville, TN. After entering a Veteran's program in fall of that year, it started having "Minions" in the system. I never used it for much more than writing , and in 2019/20 the problems started...
  3. Virtualized Versions of Microsoft 11 Sold by Microsoft Vendors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtualized Versions of Microsoft 11 Sold by Microsoft Vendors: I purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro IV in the summer of 2016 at a Best Buy near Nashville, TN. After entering a Veteran's program in fall of that year, it started having "Minions" in the system. I never used it for much more than writing , and in 2019/20 the problems started...
  4. Lost Microsoft Subscription!

Lost Microsoft Subscription!: Hello, my laptop has a Microsoft 365 subscription, which was added to the laptop charges when I bought it. I tried to install another operating system and in that process, the windows os completely got destroyed and I had to reinstall it again. But, turns out, I lost all the...
  5. Lost Microsoft Subscription!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost Microsoft Subscription!: Hello, my laptop has a Microsoft 365 subscription, which was added to the laptop charges when I bought it. I tried to install another operating system and in that process, the windows os completely got destroyed and I had to reinstall it again. But, turns out, I lost all the...
  6. Purchase of Microsoft Subscription

Purchase of Microsoft Subscription: I got an e-mail for 1 year Subscription For $4.99. Windows Defender Advanced Threat protection Firewall & Network protection.I tried the phone number but expired. This sounds like a Scam. Do I need to do anything?e-mail: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  7. Is Windows 10 sold on USB sticks?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is Windows 10 sold on USB sticks?: I found this ad on Amazon: Windows 10 Home 32 bit/64 bit USB Flash Drive Box , $100. It comes with a Microsoft Windows box containing a USB stick which can install Windows 10. The version of Windows 10 appears to be tweaked to restore the sane Start button functionality....
  8. Microsoft subscription renewal?

Microsoft subscription renewal?: Does Microsoft call a person about subscription renewal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-subscription-renewal/2ccbe0af-5468-434f-a904-f425140136de"
  9. Microsoft subscription license

Microsoft subscription license: Hello, how can I transfer my windows enterprise subscription license over to a new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-subscription-license/3826327b-1f8f-43ef-b26a-93b33532fa02"
  10. WIndows 10 subscription

WIndows 10 subscription: I was in on the Windows 10 free download when it came out. I recently had an issue with an update and the Windows Tech guy told me that the problem was that I had to renew my subscription to Windows 10.-- That the free download was only for two years and now I have to buy it...