Windows 10: Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription

Discus and support Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; 1. I don't want a upgrade because I don't want to loose a W-7 COA key. 2. I never did like a upgrade. I want a fresh complete install. 3. If I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by groze, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription

I'd agree with all of that and would add:

6: I want what is generally called a "retail" disc (or maybe ISO) that can be reinstalled repeatedly on different hardware in the future, with the understanding that it's one PC at a time. "Retail" as we've always used the term to distinguish from "OEM".

ignatzatsonic, Jan 21, 2015
  2. dougout Win User

This announcement of the free upgrades leaves me wondering, why do it?

If their goal is to get as many people as possible to leave Windows 7 and 8.1, this only makes some sense because as long as their are people with Windows 7 or 8.1 licenses MS will still have to make updates for them and software developers will need (to some extent) to make software to work with the legacy OS's. If it were possible to exchange all 7 and 8.1 for 10, then that would be a game changer.

So MS is sacrificing perhaps billions of dollars by giving us this upgrade and other than good will, what are they getting?

Since corporations exist to make money this leaves me perplexed.

dougout, Jan 21, 2015
  3. I'd agree with all of that and would add:

6: I want what is generally called a "retail" disc (or maybe ISO) that can be reinstalled repeatedly on different hardware in the future, with the understanding that it's one PC at a time. "Retail" as we've always used to term to distinguish from "OEM". My MSDN ISO's will use OEM keys and Retail keys. There isn't a separate OEM ISO and Retail ISO like in the past. My MSDN keys are listed as Retail keys. My MSDN ISO's will also use OEM embedded keys automatically. The one DVD does both now. This download will also use OEM and Retail 8.0 and 8.1 keys , Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help. Times they are a changing.

alphanumeric, Jan 21, 2015
  4. groze Win User

Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription

I am concerned about upgrading from w7 oem/oem pre-installed vlk to w10 and lose my ability to remove 10 and restore windows 7.

groze, Jan 21, 2015
  5. It's a limited time offer. After that one year goes buy you pay to get Windows 10. For one thing it's good PR wise. Also if you can get Windows 7 users hooked on Windows 10, maybe they'll buy into Windows 11 or 12 etc.

6. Windows 7 factory OEM installs activate against a SLIC table in the BIOS, they do not activate online. They also use a master OEM key so Microsoft cannot block that key. If they do every PC of that make and model will get blocked. They would all simultaneously get a "your software is not genuine" message. That being said, you would need to use custom branded OEM provided install media to reproduce the factory OEM install.

All that being said, unless you have done a clean install yourself, the product code on the COA sticker has never been used. You could reinstall Windows 7 with that code with no issues other than maybe having to do a phone activation. Any time I have used one of those codes that's what I have had to do.

7. groze Win User
    It's a limited time offer. After that one year goes buy you pay to get Windows 10. For one thing it's good PR wise. Also if you can get Windows 7 users hooked on Windows 10, maybe they'll buy into Windows 11 or 12 etc. alphanumeric,
    I did see some of the broadcast. One of the people in the broadcast mention no version numbers for anything after windows 10? How is that going to work? Does that mean windows 10 forever?

groze, Jan 21, 2015
  8. Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription

It's a limited time offer. After that one year goes buy you pay to get Windows 10. For one thing it's good PR wise. Also if you can get Windows 7 users hooked on Windows 10, maybe they'll buy into Windows 11 or 12 etc. ,
    I did see some of the broadcast. One of the people in the broadcast mention no version numbers for anything after windows 10? How is that going to work? Does that mean windows 10 forever? Ask me that again tomorrow. I'm just now watching it again as I had major issues with skipping, stopping, buffering, the first time around and missed a great deal of it. I can't answer that at this time. I will try to answer it at a latter date though.

9. Ah crap, even watching it Webcast On Demand its freezing? WTF? I give up! @groze, sorry I don't know the answer to that question. I'm *Mad at this point.

10. machare Win User
    I'd agree with all of that and would add:

6: I want what is generally called a "retail" disc (or maybe ISO) that can be reinstalled repeatedly on different hardware in the future, with the understanding that it's one PC at a time. "Retail" as we've always used the term to distinguish from "OEM". When Windows 8 came out, the upgrade was not expensive, maybe about $40 to download the ISO and get a key. There were various requirements regarding earlier versions. These were legal rather than technical and you could do a clean install if you wanted to.

Lets hope W10 will be similar.

machare, Jan 21, 2015
  11. groze Win User
    Try Firefox

I really don't get what he meant by windows as one of the largest internet services on the planet and just like other internet services what version are you running will cease to make sense

groze, Jan 21, 2015
  12. cluberti Win User
    I'd wager similar to the OS X scheme - 10 will stay the major version number, and instead increments on minor and build numbers going forward as a possibility.

cluberti, Jan 21, 2015
  13. rvbfan Win User

You know there is a way they can make money this way. You get the base windows 10 for free, but if you want some extra features you pay extra.

rvbfan, Jan 21, 2015
  14. labeeman Win User
    Yep like OneDrive, Bing and Office just to name a few.

labeeman, Jan 21, 2015
  15. Yep like OneDrive, Bing and Office just to name a few. I don't think Bing will cost, as it's always been free. We already have a subscription for Office. I don't know why they would charge for One Drive, when 8.1 uses it now.

Jesse Williams, Jan 21, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription - Similar Threads - Microsoft sold subscription

2. Virtualized Versions of Microsoft 11 Sold by Microsoft Vendors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtualized Versions of Microsoft 11 Sold by Microsoft Vendors: I purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro IV in the summer of 2016 at a Best Buy near Nashville, TN. After entering a Veteran's program in fall of that year, it started having "Minions" in the system. I never used it for much more than writing , and in 2019/20 the problems started...
  3. Virtualized Versions of Microsoft 11 Sold by Microsoft Vendors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtualized Versions of Microsoft 11 Sold by Microsoft Vendors: I purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro IV in the summer of 2016 at a Best Buy near Nashville, TN. After entering a Veteran's program in fall of that year, it started having "Minions" in the system. I never used it for much more than writing , and in 2019/20 the problems started...
  4. Lost Microsoft Subscription!

Lost Microsoft Subscription!: Hello, my laptop has a Microsoft 365 subscription, which was added to the laptop charges when I bought it. I tried to install another operating system and in that process, the windows os completely got destroyed and I had to reinstall it again. But, turns out, I lost all the...
  5. Lost Microsoft Subscription!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost Microsoft Subscription!: Hello, my laptop has a Microsoft 365 subscription, which was added to the laptop charges when I bought it. I tried to install another operating system and in that process, the windows os completely got destroyed and I had to reinstall it again. But, turns out, I lost all the...
  6. Purchase of Microsoft Subscription

Purchase of Microsoft Subscription: I got an e-mail for 1 year Subscription For $4.99. Windows Defender Advanced Threat protection Firewall & Network protection.I tried the phone number but expired. This sounds like a Scam. Do I need to do anything?e-mail: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  7. Is Windows 10 sold on USB sticks?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is Windows 10 sold on USB sticks?: I found this ad on Amazon: Windows 10 Home 32 bit/64 bit USB Flash Drive Box , $100. It comes with a Microsoft Windows box containing a USB stick which can install Windows 10. The version of Windows 10 appears to be tweaked to restore the sane Start button functionality....
  8. Microsoft subscription renewal?

Microsoft subscription renewal?: Does Microsoft call a person about subscription renewal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-subscription-renewal/2ccbe0af-5468-434f-a904-f425140136de"
  9. Microsoft subscription license

Microsoft subscription license: Hello, how can I transfer my windows enterprise subscription license over to a new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-subscription-license/3826327b-1f8f-43ef-b26a-93b33532fa02"
  10. WIndows 10 subscription

WIndows 10 subscription: I was in on the Windows 10 free download when it came out. I recently had an issue with an update and the Windows Tech guy told me that the problem was that I had to renew my subscription to Windows 10.-- That the free download was only for two years and now I have to buy it...