Windows 10: Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription

Discus and support Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I see Retail versions listed on NewEgg, well they say Packaging: Retail. I guess that's debatable what that actually means though? Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by groze, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription

I see Retail versions listed on NewEgg, well they say Packaging: Retail. I guess that's debatable what that actually means though?

alphanumeric, Jan 21, 2015
  2. BunnyJ New Member

I think it's a version to perform a clean install with.

Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription [​IMG]

BunnyJ, Jan 21, 2015
  3. If the WMC upgrade keys are anything to go by, then yes. The whole EULA thing is too complicated to go into but practically speaking they are not transferable - (phone activation may work but that's not here nor there) Yeah, the Media Center keys can only be used on one PC and not moved to another. It wouldn't surprise me that the free upgrades to 10 are the same. I'm thinking it will be like the 8 to 8.1 upgrade. If you have 8.1 Core you get 10 Core, 8.1 Pro and you get 10 Pro. Media Center might be an issue, I don't know. There was trick involving Media Center to get Windows 8 for free. I think they fixed that though, you can't add MC to VL editions anymore. I'm not sure how it will work for 7, so many editions?

4. groze Win User

Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription

If the WMC upgrade keys are anything to go by, then yes. The whole EULA thing is too complicated to go into but practically speaking they are not transferable - (phone activation may work but that's not here nor there) Yeah, the Media Center keys can only be used on one PC and not moved to another. It wouldn't surprise me that the free upgrades to 10 are the same. I'm thinking it will be like the 8 to 8.1 upgrade. If you have 8.1 Core you get 10 Core, 8.1 Pro and you get 10 Pro. Media Center might be an issue, I don't know. There was trick involving Media Center to get Windows 8 for free. I think they fixed that though, you can't add MC to VL editions anymore. I'm not sure how it will work for 7, so many editions?

alphanumeric,

I think you still might get a chance at a clean install, I would guess you start the upgrade using either usb flash 2.0 drive or dvd/cd drive from with-in windows. It will check for a valid key for windows 7, 8.1 if it can't find one, it will ask you for one. Then you can choose whether or not to do a clean install.

I actually installed an old preview version of windows 10 by upgrading from windows 7 without using the internet. Then I removed it, so I could go back to windows 7 legally. The upgrade was done in about an hour and the only issue was the desktop themes changed and some hardware but they would of been found if was connected to the internet.

One of the many issue I have, my system won't be able to play dvds

groze, Jan 21, 2015
  5. If the WMC upgrade keys are anything to go by, then yes. The whole EULA thing is too complicated to go into but practically speaking they are not transferable - (phone activation may work but that's not here nor there) Yeah, the Media Center keys can only be used on one PC and not moved to another. It wouldn't surprise me that the free upgrades to 10 are the same. I'm thinking it will be like the 8 to 8.1 upgrade. If you have 8.1 Core you get 10 Core, 8.1 Pro and you get 10 Pro. Media Center might be an issue, I don't know. There was trick involving Media Center to get Windows 8 for free. I think they fixed that though, you can't add MC to VL editions anymore. I'm not sure how it will work for 7, so many editions?

I think you still might get a chance at a clean install, I would guess you start the upgrade using either usb flash 2.0 drive or dvd/cd drive from with-in windows. It will check for a valid key for windows 7, 8.1 if it can't find one, it will ask you for one. Then you can choose whether or not to do a clean install.

I actually installed an old preview version of windows 10 by upgrading from windows 7 without using the internet. Then I removed it, so I could go back to windows 7 legally. The upgrade was done in about an hour and the only issue was the desktop themes changed and some hardware but they would of been found if was connected to the internet.

One of the many issue I have, my system won't be able to play dvds A lot of people are hoping for a clean install option. That will be my preferred option. I may do an upgrade as a test, just so I can answer questions on how it works etc but that's about it really. My comments were intended to be more along the lines of what version of 10 you'll get for free. Not necessarily how you get it. A lot of users are going to want or need install media at some point. As we all know Windows occasionally crashes. Or your hard drive packs it in etc. To get back to 10 your going to want install media and your not going to want to have to install the original OS and upgrade again. I know I wouldn't. Time will tell how this all goes down.

6. Wynona Win User
    I am pretty sure my TechNet keys are also retail keys.

Wynona, Jan 21, 2015
  7. BunnyJ New Member
    I am pretty sure my TechNet keys are also retail keys.
    That's my understanding as well. I use my TechNet key for Win8.1

BunnyJ, Jan 21, 2015
  8. Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription

I am pretty sure my TechNet keys are also retail keys. Yes they are, mine are listed as Retail keys on TechNet as well. There also isn't a separate OEM and Retail ISO for Windows 8. My MSDN ISO's will use OEM embedded keys and my retail keys.

9. groze Win User
    I am pretty sure my TechNet keys are also retail keys. Yes they are, mine are listed as Retail keys on TechNet as well. There also isn't a separate OEM and Retail ISO for Windows 8. My MSDN ISO's will use OEM embedded keys and my retail keys. Dumb question time, How did OEM do windows 8 if there is no OEM key? (I never had windows 8/8.1 except for a brief moment)?

groze, Jan 21, 2015
  10. labeeman Win User
    OEM keys were located in the bios on all installs.

labeeman, Jan 21, 2015
  11. Yup, the install media knows where it is and how to retrieve it. There is no more need for custom branded install media. Any official Windows 8 ISO can retrieve it and us it automatically.

12. groze Win User
    I just though of something, a little off topic. Even though I have some privacy & cloud concerns with Cortana. If Cortana can do all that, I won't need to look at a computer much after the initial set-up. Cortana could read the webpages for me. I hope they allow Cortana to work with 3rd party browsers and programs as well. Instead of reading this forums, I could hear these forums. This would be excellent for blind users. I am not blind though.

groze, Jan 21, 2015
  13. Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription

I am pretty sure my TechNet keys are also retail keys. That's my understanding as well. I use my TechNet key for Win8.1 I'm using my TechNet 8.0 keys to install and activate 8.1. The latest ISO will use 8.0 and 8.1 keys, even OEM keys.

This is a repost of something I just posted in another thread:

One thing they could do is code the Windows 10 ISO to accept Windows 8 and 8.1 keys. Right now the 8.1 ISO will install with and activate with 8.0 and 8.1 keys, even OEM embedded keys. I'm running 8.1 Pro on my desktop that I installed using one of my TechNet 8.0 pro keys. On my laptop that came with 8.0 Core, 8.1 Core gets installed automatically using the OEM 8.0 key. Activates online with no issues. These are the 8.1 ISO's that include update 3. That would make life easy for anyone having to do, or wanting to do a clean install of 10.

14. In retail, that's called a loss-leader. Sell at or below cost to attract the crowds and they'll make up the 'loss' on the high margin items bought on impulse.

The Media Creation Tool has no version reference - hopefully this tool will be modified for version selection (Win8 / Win10).

ESD-to-ISO comes to mind also.

Bill

Slartybart, Jan 21, 2015
  15. Probably another reason why retail sales suffered - it wasn't offered *Wink

Slartybart, Jan 21, 2015
Thema:

Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription

1. Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription - Similar Threads - Microsoft sold subscription

2. Virtualized Versions of Microsoft 11 Sold by Microsoft Vendors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtualized Versions of Microsoft 11 Sold by Microsoft Vendors: I purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro IV in the summer of 2016 at a Best Buy near Nashville, TN. After entering a Veteran's program in fall of that year, it started having "Minions" in the system. I never used it for much more than writing , and in 2019/20 the problems started...
  3. Virtualized Versions of Microsoft 11 Sold by Microsoft Vendors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtualized Versions of Microsoft 11 Sold by Microsoft Vendors: I purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro IV in the summer of 2016 at a Best Buy near Nashville, TN. After entering a Veteran's program in fall of that year, it started having "Minions" in the system. I never used it for much more than writing , and in 2019/20 the problems started...
  4. Lost Microsoft Subscription!

Lost Microsoft Subscription!: Hello, my laptop has a Microsoft 365 subscription, which was added to the laptop charges when I bought it. I tried to install another operating system and in that process, the windows os completely got destroyed and I had to reinstall it again. But, turns out, I lost all the...
  5. Lost Microsoft Subscription!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost Microsoft Subscription!: Hello, my laptop has a Microsoft 365 subscription, which was added to the laptop charges when I bought it. I tried to install another operating system and in that process, the windows os completely got destroyed and I had to reinstall it again. But, turns out, I lost all the...
  6. Purchase of Microsoft Subscription

Purchase of Microsoft Subscription: I got an e-mail for 1 year Subscription For $4.99. Windows Defender Advanced Threat protection Firewall & Network protection.I tried the phone number but expired. This sounds like a Scam. Do I need to do anything?e-mail: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  7. Is Windows 10 sold on USB sticks?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is Windows 10 sold on USB sticks?: I found this ad on Amazon: Windows 10 Home 32 bit/64 bit USB Flash Drive Box , $100. It comes with a Microsoft Windows box containing a USB stick which can install Windows 10. The version of Windows 10 appears to be tweaked to restore the sane Start button functionality....
  8. Microsoft subscription renewal?

Microsoft subscription renewal?: Does Microsoft call a person about subscription renewal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-subscription-renewal/2ccbe0af-5468-434f-a904-f425140136de"
  9. Microsoft subscription license

Microsoft subscription license: Hello, how can I transfer my windows enterprise subscription license over to a new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-subscription-license/3826327b-1f8f-43ef-b26a-93b33532fa02"
  10. WIndows 10 subscription

WIndows 10 subscription: I was in on the Windows 10 free download when it came out. I recently had an issue with an update and the Windows Tech guy told me that the problem was that I had to renew my subscription to Windows 10.-- That the free download was only for two years and now I have to buy it...