Windows 10: Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription

Discus and support Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; My MSDN Windows 8/8.1 product keys are listed as Retail keys? I am pretty sure my TechNet keys are also retail keys. That's my understanding as... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by groze, Jan 21, 2015.

1. BunnyJ New Member

Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription

I am pretty sure my TechNet keys are also retail keys. That's my understanding as well. I use my TechNet key for Win8.1 I'm using my TechNet 8.0 keys to install and activate 8.1. The latest ISO will use 8.0 and 8.1 keys, even OEM keys.

This is a repost of something I just posted in another thread:

One thing they could do is code the Windows 10 ISO to accept Windows 8 and 8.1 keys. Right now the 8.1 ISO will install with and activate with 8.0 and 8.1 keys, even OEM embedded keys. I'm running 8.1 Pro on my desktop that I installed using one of my TechNet 8.0 pro keys. On my laptop that came with 8.0 Core, 8.1 Core gets installed automatically using the OEM 8.0 key. Activates online with no issues. These are the 8.1 ISO's that include update 3. That would make life easy for anyone having to do, or wanting to do a clean install of 10. When I got my copy of Win8.1 from TechNet I got a separate key.

BunnyJ, Jan 21, 2015

2. I am pretty sure my TechNet keys are also retail keys. That's my understanding as well. I use my TechNet key for Win8.1 I'm using my TechNet 8.0 keys to install and activate 8.1. The latest ISO will use 8.0 and 8.1 keys, even OEM keys.

This is a repost of something I just posted in another thread:

One thing they could do is code the Windows 10 ISO to accept Windows 8 and 8.1 keys. Right now the 8.1 ISO will install with and activate with 8.0 and 8.1 keys, even OEM embedded keys. I'm running 8.1 Pro on my desktop that I installed using one of my TechNet 8.0 pro keys. On my laptop that came with 8.0 Core, 8.1 Core gets installed automatically using the OEM 8.0 key. Activates online with no issues. These are the 8.1 ISO's that include update 3. That would make life easy for anyone having to do, or wanting to do a clean install of 10. When I got my copy of Win8.1 from TechNet I got a separate key. Yes so did I, I claimed 3 Core keys and 3 Pro keys. For 8 and 8.1. The TechNet keys work with Add features too. When I bought my laptop it came with 8.0 Core. I used one of my TechNet Pro keys to unlock Pro on it. I have 4 PC's in the household at the moment. Two laptops and two desktops.

alphanumeric, Jan 21, 2015
  3. Wynona Win User
    Three core and three pro keys, Alpha? I only got Pro keys; two of Windows 8.0 Pro and two of Windows 8.1 Pro. *Smile

I had 8.0/8.1 installed on my laptops and another desktop, and was saving the last 8.1 key for updating this one, but hadn't gotten the courage to mess with a "store bought" HP PC. I have since closeted the other desktop and my 17" HP laptop cratered. I have Windows 10 on the other laptop. So, now, in essence I have four usable 8.1 keys.

All that to say I hadn't thought of using the key for an anytime upgrade. Duhhhhhhhhhh . . . So now I'll do that. Thanks!

Wynona, Jan 22, 2015
  4. Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription

Three core and three pro keys, Alpha? I only got Pro keys; two of Windows 8.0 Pro and two of Windows 8.1 Pro. *Smile

I had 8.0/8.1 installed on my laptops and another desktop, and was saving the last 8.1 key for updating this one, but hadn't gotten the courage to mess with a "store bought" HP PC. I have since closeted the other desktop and my 17" HP laptop cratered. I have Windows 10 on the other laptop. So, now, in essence I have four usable 8.1 keys.

All that to say I hadn't thought of using the key for an anytime upgrade. Duhhhhhhhhhh . . . So now I'll do that. Thanks! Ops, sorry, yes only Pro keys through TechNet. On MSDN you can get Core and Pro, and 5 of each. The new 8.1 MSDN ISO's will install and activate with 8.0 keys as well as 8.1 keys. Your 8.0 TechNet keys are now also good for 8.1. This download will also let you install and activate with 8.0 keys, Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help.

alphanumeric, Jan 22, 2015
  5. I did see where 10 may be the last numerical version number. I'm thinking that Microsoft is going to do something similar to Apple and go with names. Apple liked using cat names, I understand they're now going to landmarks. Maybe Microsoft will go with space objects, like Windows 10 Moon, then Windows 10 Mars.

A question that looms large I think for many of us is how we will do clean installs if we go the free download route, but I don't expect the definitive answer until we're real close to RTM. Paul Thurrott and others will just need to pick brains at Microsoft to get at the answers.

wordsworth, Jan 22, 2015
  6. dmex Win User
    Does this only work with 8.1 MSDN ISOs? My 8.0 keys refuse to activate 8.1 if its installed via ISO *Confused

7. Does this only work with 8.1 MSDN ISOs? My 8.0 keys refuse to activate 8.1 if its installed via ISO *Confused Where did you get your ISO? The older ISO's required you to install with a generic 8.1 key and then activate with a 8.0 key. The latest version will now let you install and activate with an 8.0 key. The Media Creation Tool download will also let you install and activate with 8.0 keys, Create installation media for Windows 8.1 - Windows Help. You just have to download and install the correct version.

Solved Activate retail Windows 8.1 with Windows 8 Product key.
    Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 ISO - Download or Create

alphanumeric, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription

1. Microsoft: Windows 10 will not be sold as a subscription - Similar Threads - Microsoft sold subscription

2. Virtualized Versions of Microsoft 11 Sold by Microsoft Vendors

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Virtualized Versions of Microsoft 11 Sold by Microsoft Vendors: I purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro IV in the summer of 2016 at a Best Buy near Nashville, TN. After entering a Veteran's program in fall of that year, it started having "Minions" in the system. I never used it for much more than writing , and in 2019/20 the problems started...
  3. Virtualized Versions of Microsoft 11 Sold by Microsoft Vendors

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtualized Versions of Microsoft 11 Sold by Microsoft Vendors: I purchased a Microsoft Surface Pro IV in the summer of 2016 at a Best Buy near Nashville, TN. After entering a Veteran's program in fall of that year, it started having "Minions" in the system. I never used it for much more than writing , and in 2019/20 the problems started...
  4. Lost Microsoft Subscription!

Lost Microsoft Subscription!: Hello, my laptop has a Microsoft 365 subscription, which was added to the laptop charges when I bought it. I tried to install another operating system and in that process, the windows os completely got destroyed and I had to reinstall it again. But, turns out, I lost all the...
  5. Lost Microsoft Subscription!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Lost Microsoft Subscription!: Hello, my laptop has a Microsoft 365 subscription, which was added to the laptop charges when I bought it. I tried to install another operating system and in that process, the windows os completely got destroyed and I had to reinstall it again. But, turns out, I lost all the...
  6. Purchase of Microsoft Subscription

Purchase of Microsoft Subscription: I got an e-mail for 1 year Subscription For $4.99. Windows Defender Advanced Threat protection Firewall & Network protection.I tried the phone number but expired. This sounds like a Scam. Do I need to do anything?e-mail: *** Email address is removed for privacy ***...
  7. Is Windows 10 sold on USB sticks?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Is Windows 10 sold on USB sticks?: I found this ad on Amazon: Windows 10 Home 32 bit/64 bit USB Flash Drive Box , $100. It comes with a Microsoft Windows box containing a USB stick which can install Windows 10. The version of Windows 10 appears to be tweaked to restore the sane Start button functionality....
  8. Microsoft subscription renewal?

Microsoft subscription renewal?: Does Microsoft call a person about subscription renewal? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-subscription-renewal/2ccbe0af-5468-434f-a904-f425140136de"
  9. Microsoft subscription license

Microsoft subscription license: Hello, how can I transfer my windows enterprise subscription license over to a new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-subscription-license/3826327b-1f8f-43ef-b26a-93b33532fa02"
  10. WIndows 10 subscription

WIndows 10 subscription: I was in on the Windows 10 free download when it came out. I recently had an issue with an update and the Windows Tech guy told me that the problem was that I had to renew my subscription to Windows 10.-- That the free download was only for two years and now I have to buy it...