Windows 10: Microsoft Windows Search Indexer process and HDD temperature

Discus and support Microsoft Windows Search Indexer process and HDD temperature in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Microsoft Windows Search Indexer process its eating 10-15% of CPU and I think this is the reason why HDD temperature its always over 122°F (50°C). I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by LarryWind, Aug 5, 2015.

1. LarryWind Win User

Microsoft Windows Search Indexer process and HDD temperature

Microsoft Windows Search Indexer process its eating 10-15% of CPU and I think this is the reason why HDD temperature its always over 122°F (50°C).
    I have disabled Cortana but no luck, hope someone has a fix for this or I will return to Windows 8.1
    Edit: What I have tried so far
    1. Turned off indexing on both partitions - restart
    2. Disabled Windows Search from services - restart
    3. After various restarts some how Microsoft Windows Search Indexer it's not showing in Task Manager, so half of the problem it's gone, but the HDD Temperature it's still above 122°F (50°C) with nothing running.
    Any ideas ?
    Solved by reinstalling Windows

Microsoft Windows Search Indexer process and HDD temperature [​IMG]

:)

LarryWind, Aug 5, 2015

2. Search does not find files which are there, and cannot rebuild Search Index. Troubleshooter finds no problem

Hi all,

I have a Toshiba PC with Windows 10 Edu, Version 1703, OS build 15063.483.

I have an SSD with the OS, and I have a HDD with my files. There are thousands of PDFs in the HDD. The HDD is included in the indexed areas, and has the full permission set for the System. I have to make search among the files in the HDD, and I noticed that
    Windows Search does not find hundreds or thousands which are there in front of my eye. I set search in all subfolders, and I enter in the subfolder, and the file name is blahblah.pdf, then I search for blahblah and it comes up empty.

Then I run the search troubleshooter, and it cannot identify the problem.

Then I ask to modify search, and delete and rebuild the index. And it immediately responds that it may take hours, but when I click OK, it displays the message that Indexing is done, 103,000 files are indexed. And of course, it is not done. Nothing happened.
    At services.msc Windows Search is running, startup type is automatic (delayed).

Sfc /scannow: finds no integrity violation.

Altogether: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?

Mr. Jack Hill, Aug 5, 2015
  3. Search does not yield any results

The title says everything. Searching in the filed called "Search Windows" does not give any files. Nothing! Blank window. I rebuilt the index, moved it to another disk, rebuilt again without any result.

Cortana is off and web searching is off. Even if web searching is on, there are no search results in the window.

I ran Windows search and indexing troubleshooter. It started indexing service.

Indexing complete.

Included locations:

Start menu

Users - AppData; AppData

*.* in the search window does not yield anything.

Below is the troubleshooter report:

--------------------------------------------

Potential issues that were checked

Incorrect permissions on Windows Search directories - issue not present

Search Filter Host process failed - issue not present

Windows Search service shut down - Issue not present

Windows Search service shut down - Issue not present

Windows Search service not - Issue not present

Windows Search service - Issue not present

Search Protocol Host process - Issue not present

Publisher details

Search and Indexing

Find and fix problems with Windows Search.

Package Version: 1.0

Publisher: Microsoft Windows

Search and Indexing

Find and fix problems with Windows Search.

Package Version: 1.0

Publisher: Microsoft Corporation

StephenPen, Aug 5, 2015
  4. slyphnier Win User

why not try disable indexing for now and see if this calm your system or not ?
    in explorer just go to your drive (c: or other), right click -> properties ... on bottom side you should see indexing ... uncheck it

hope helps

slyphnier, Aug 5, 2015
  5. LarryWind Win User
    Microsoft Windows Search Indexer process and HDD temperature [​IMG]

LarryWind, Aug 5, 2015
  6. slyphnier Win User
    i think just ignore all files that in use
    because forcing ending it will cause more issue to your system

slyphnier, Aug 5, 2015
  7. LarryWind Win User
    I have ignored all and disabled indexing on both partitions and also disabled Windows Search from services but no luck the problem is still there.

LarryWind, Aug 5, 2015
  8. slyphnier Win User

seems there something stuck that causing windows indexing using high resources
    maybe reset to default state or fresh install fix your issue

or if you have time, you can try do chkdsk /f /r and sfc /scannow
    also check your hdd smart and see if there any log of reallocation count
    also try defrag your hdd (although this seems wont help fixing ur issue)

slyphnier, Aug 5, 2015
  9. LarryWind Win User
    Already tried all no errors found , fragmentation it's good, the only way was disabling Windows Search service which is a must for me.
    The HDD temperature it's still high as before, nothing running 0% disk usage, I will go back to 8.1.
    A New Problem : the keyboard stops working after I Sign Out , Signing back in with OSK it's still not working, restart or shutdown. F__ Y__ Microsoft

LarryWind, Aug 6, 2015
  10. NUS
    Nus Win User
    Look in Resource Monitor and see what processes are using the disk.

If there is nothing caning it then it's probably the temp sensor data being reported incorrectly, or else you've got some airflow/cooling issue.

11. bcjammerx Win User
    These steps haven't solved the problem for me. Course I ran maintenance check after shutting it down, I'll run it again if I see it running and temps up.

I keep noticing high cpu temps and began shutting down processes in task manager to see what might be behind it...searchindexer was always running when this happened and only by shutting it down did my temps hit below 60.

Here's the kicker, and what is really beginning to make me highly angry. AFTER rebuilding the index and allowing it to run overnight, I set it to NOT run on startup, I disabled it, and even set it's automatic setting to manual. After each startup it STILL runs.

Just now my cpu temps were holding at around 103, sure enough there it was running...shut it off and I'm holding at 53, IMMEDIATE difference. I've already rebuilt the index, three nights ago, and it shouldn't even be running AT ALL...yet it still does. This is something I've had problems with every windows version and desktop I've ever owned, search indexer always runs and no matter what you do it will.

Another irritation, I actually already shut it down in task manager once tonight, I saw my temps holding at 103 and I was streaming, so when my show finished and the temps stayed I opened task manager...damn thing had restarted itself. So now I'm going to have to open task manager several times per session to keep checking...guess if my cpu temp hits over 90 I'll know to check then. Major irritation...I don't like it when my computer/devices don't do what I tell them to, do something I tell them not to, and worse, when I don't know when this happens. *Mad

bcjammerx, Dec 11, 2015
  12. fdegrove Win User
    Hi,

Stop Windows Search service first. Then set it to manual or disabled. Then uncheck "Allow files.....etc." from the partition properties box.

Furthermore, if you notice Windows isn't retaining changes you make to your settings disable "Fast Start Up", reboot and redo whatever you want to change. When done you can safely re-enable "Fast Start Up".

Just for general info though.

Cheers, *Wink

fdegrove, Dec 11, 2015
  13. AndreyT Win User

What does "problem is still there" mean? You still see Search Indexer consuming 10% of CPU time even after you disabled indexing?

AndreyT, Dec 11, 2015
  14. AndreyT Win User
    This is exactly what you should see. Just tell it to "Ignore All" such files.

AndreyT, Dec 11, 2015
  15. cirEOak Win User
    Hey OP, did that solve your problem? Either way, let us know -- several people weighed in on your problem, and it would be nice to hear. I am having the same problem and it is super annoying.

cirEOak, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft Windows Search Indexer process and HDD temperature - Similar Threads - Microsoft Search Indexer

2. Windows Search Index

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows Search Index: Hi,When I search my computer, I can find files with the word I'm searching for. But what I want to find is the contents of office files that have the word I searched for. So I want to add the contents of office files to the search index.In the search index advanced settings...
  3. File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...: I have a problem searching files in File Explorer. When I search files from Documents on C Drive, File Explorer does not find the files in the correct C drive my SSD. They actually find the files in my K Drive old HDD. I noticed what I think is a bug in the indexing location...
  4. File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...: I have a problem searching files in File Explorer. When I search files from Documents on C Drive, File Explorer does not find the files in the correct C drive my SSD. They actually find the files in my K Drive old HDD. I noticed what I think is a bug in the indexing location...
  5. File Explorer Will Not Search New SSD C: Drive. Searches Old HDD Drive. Index / Indexing...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. windows search and indexing

in Cortana
    windows search and indexing: hello the search in taskbar stopped working for some reason it i think crashes when i type or click on something in it, i have tried running the trouble shooter multiple times nothing, did this thing with power shell still nothing, did the w + r and then command Still nothing...
  7. windows search and indexing

in Cortana
    windows search and indexing: 1 my windows search does not search the d directory. 2 it happened at once that my index stopped working, when i go to the settings is crashes, i have tried all methods like run, command prompt, and at the end i restarted windows from iso, now i don't know what else i can...
  8. Window search and indexing

in Cortana
    Window search and indexing: I can only fine file names if i type a word in search box but i want to find indexed file content and files which contain the word i type. I tried to solve in many ways such as rebuilding indexes and changing permissions but nothing got different. I don't have such problems...
  9. Windows Search and Indexing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Search and Indexing: When I rebuild the index, I get the message "indexing complete" after a couple of hours, but only 4,000 files are indexed, which is only a small percentage of the total number of files in the directories I've listed for indexing. One directory contains over 10,000 files, a...
  10. Temperature for Seagate 2TB HDD ?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Temperature for Seagate 2TB HDD ?: Hi So i'm using a Seagate 2TB SATA 3 with 7200 RPM hard drive and just wanted to know what are the normal temps for it ? When in idle the HDD's temp is 42'C and when gaming it goes up to 55'C. If anyone has some info on this i'd greatly appreciate it because i don't know...