Windows 10: Microsoft Windows Search Indexer (searchindexer.exe) using high CPU.

Discus and support Microsoft Windows Search Indexer (searchindexer.exe) using high CPU. in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; searchindexer.exe is sucking up my CPU resources. The average CPU use is always around 50-55%. I tried disabling through services.msc and even removing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by Moonlight2018, Dec 7, 2018.

1. Microsoft Windows Search Indexer (searchindexer.exe) using high CPU.

searchindexer.exe is sucking up my CPU resources. The average CPU use is always around 50-55%. I tried disabling through services.msc and even removing it through Windows Feature on/off. But this process still manages to slide in and still hogging 50+% CPU. I even disabled indexing from drive indexing but it is not working.

Please help me remove this. i'm using i5 (5th gen). Windows 10 1803. I tried the method mentioned in superuser.com - but no luck.
    If possible i want to remove this.

searchindexer.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\Microsoft\

Microsoft Windows Search Indexer (searchindexer.exe) using high CPU. 05f38bb1-4ace-4a0b-ae16-3f571123ddba?upload=true.jpg

:)

Moonlight2018, Dec 7, 2018

2. Windows Search Indexing is disabled but the Search itself still uses high CPU and network (Win10 Home Single Lang 64)

Hi,

It's possible that your Windows Search Index and Microsoft Edge are corrupted, that's why you're experiencing performance issues because of them. First, we recommend that you rebuild your search indexing through
    Indexing Options in the Control Panel. To do so, kindly follow these steps:

• Type control panel on the search bar.
    • Click on Control Panel.
    • Click the drop-down list beside View by, then select
      Small icons
    • Click on Indexing Options.
    • Click on Advanced.
    • Under the Index Settings tab, click on Rebuild.
    • Click OK to confirm the action.
    • Once the indexing is done, click on Close.

After that, we suggest that you follow the steps in this article to fix any issues with Microsoft Edge:

What to do if Microsoft Edge isn't working
    . Once done, check if the issue persists.

Kindly get back to us once you've tried the troubleshooting steps that we have provided.

Joshua Her1, Dec 7, 2018
  3. dalchina Win User
    Windows Search Indexer suddenly using too much CPU, help please

Hi, first as you know, I think, the problem is not a failure of Windows search as such. Windows search should use no resources once indexing is complete. Even when indexing is under way, it 'backs off' (pauses) if just a little CPU use occurs for other reasons.

The most likely cause is a failure to access something it's trying to index. (Some kind of corruption). As such, you should look into fixing this, rather than avoiding it.

See
    Fix: High CPU Usage By searchindexer.exe - Appuals.com
    (3)
    for a technical approach to trying to identify what's causing problems.

Try also running chkdsk on all indexed drives/partitions.

I posted a couple of other links here:
    High processor usage by indexer - Windows 10 Forums

The major advantage of Windows Search vs 3rd part tools (which I do use too) is content indexing- and sometimes convenience. However, the way Windows search is implemented means that searching a whole partition which is partly indexed means such a search is slow. (Indexed files are not prioritised - non-indexed files are searched first if they are encountered first). I.e. you only get quick results when file explorer is pointed to an indexed location.

(Cortana uses Windows search but only gives indexed results).

3 free tools often quoted for 'instant' search results: (these do not index content)
    Everything (by voidtools) (use beta for parameterised choices similar to others last I looked)
    Locate32
    Ultrasearch

These do a fairly fast index of all disks/partitions and a couple can add a text search on textual documents.
    Search can typically be specified for size/file type/date/ and regex searches are supported by some.

I use Locate32. I find Everything uses resources seemingly unnecessarily.

dalchina, Dec 7, 2018
  4. Arun B J Win User

Microsoft Windows Search Indexer (searchindexer.exe) using high CPU.

Windows 10 Windows Search / Indexing Stops Completing

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query in Microsoft Community.

I understand your concern and will assist you to resolve this issue.

I suggest you to follow the steps below and check if it helps

• Press Windows key + R.
    • Type Services.msc In the search box.
    • Select Windows Search
    • Restart the services and set the service as Automatic
    If the issue persist try performing Rebuilding Index again.

To rebuild the index follow the steps below:

• Open the Control Panel from the Start menu.
    • Open Indexing Options in the Control Panel.
    • Select the Advanced button in the Indexing Options window.
    • Select Rebuild in the Troubleshooting section of the Advanced Options window.
    • Select OK when it asks if you’re sure you want to re-build the search index.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help

Arun B J, Dec 7, 2018
Thema:

Microsoft Windows Search Indexer (searchindexer.exe) using high CPU.

1. Microsoft Windows Search Indexer (searchindexer.exe) using high CPU. - Similar Threads - Microsoft Search Indexer

2. Windows 11 Microsoft Windows Search Indexer high CPU useage at all times

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 Microsoft Windows Search Indexer high CPU useage at all times: Ive been dealing with this for a long time now, and for most of the time ive delt with it, ive just disabled windows search, but im getting sick of it, and i need to see if we can get this fixed, Microsoft Search Indexer takes, at all times, 20~40% of my CPU, it never stops...
  3. Windows 11 Microsoft Windows Search Indexer high CPU useage at all times

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 11 Microsoft Windows Search Indexer high CPU useage at all times: Ive been dealing with this for a long time now, and for most of the time ive delt with it, ive just disabled windows search, but im getting sick of it, and i need to see if we can get this fixed, Microsoft Search Indexer takes, at all times, 20~40% of my CPU, it never stops...
  4. Microsoft Windows Search Indexer High CPU usage and Windows Explorer Freezing

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Windows Search Indexer High CPU usage and Windows Explorer Freezing: Whenever I try to open a folder from the Windows explorer, it freezes and never responds. I have to restart it to unfreeze it. I currently cant open any files from Windows Explorer. I can use another file explorer application to access files, as well as browse from within...
  5. Microsoft Windows Search Indexer High CPU usage and Windows Explorer Freezing

Microsoft Windows Search Indexer High CPU usage and Windows Explorer Freezing: Whenever I try to open a folder from the Windows explorer, it freezes and never responds. I have to restart it to unfreeze it. I currently cant open any files from Windows Explorer. I can use another file explorer application to access files, as well as browse from within...
  6. Can't get search index to only index exes

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Can't get search index to only index exes: Far more files are being indexs then I have exes.. 20551 exes total across al drive including hidden files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-get-search-index-to-only-index-exes/200353a9-9e5e-4007-a8b0-9299a8c638ee
  7. Can't get search index to only index exes

Can't get search index to only index exes: Far more files are being indexs then I have exes.. 20551 exes total across al drive including hidden files https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cant-get-search-index-to-only-index-exes/200353a9-9e5e-4007-a8b0-9299a8c638ee
  8. Microsoft Windwo Search index and filter running high CPU and Power usage

in Windows 10 Customization
    Microsoft Windwo Search index and filter running high CPU and Power usage: Any solution for this issue Microsoft Windwo Search index and filter running high CPU and Power usage? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-windwo-search-index-and-filter-running/54fd6ab9-270a-4cc0-80c5-da8bbce52725
  9. Windows 10 Search Indexer Frequently Gets Stuck With High CPU

in Cortana
    Windows 10 Search Indexer Frequently Gets Stuck With High CPU: Running Windows 10 Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.356)/Office 365 ProPlus Version 1808 on a 2018 X1 Carbon (maximum specs)/SSD drive. I have Indexing Options set to normal settings--just indexing some local folders on the internal C drive, plus Outlook mail. Not indexing any...
  10. search indexer using cpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    search indexer using cpu: hello. the search indexer is consumin all my cpu making my pc hot and slow. I have tryed disabling it many times in the services menu but it just still there. the idenxing options is stuck "in waiting to receive indexing status..." dont know what elese to do plis help....

Users found this page by searching for:

1. SearchIndexer.exe Microsoft Windows Search Indexer

2. microsoft windows search indexer high cpu

3. searchindexer.exe microsoft windows search

4. searchindexer using high cpu,
  5. SearchIndexer.exe on IOT core,
  6. microsoft windows search indexer using cpu,
  7. searchindexer.exe crash