Windows 10: Microsoft Word is no longer my default app

Discus and support Microsoft Word is no longer my default app in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi Since running a windows update my word documents are opening in a word pad format - it says word is not my default programme and I am unable to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Reception at Archway, Apr 1, 2021.

1. Microsoft Word is no longer my default app

Hi

Since running a windows update my word documents are opening in a word pad format - it says word is not my default programme and I am unable to change it. Please can you help to fix this.

Thanks

:)

Reception at Archway, Apr 1, 2021
  2. DaveM121 Win User

Default app change back to Microsoft Word

Hi benastutchbury

First, check if Word still exists on your PC:

Click your Start Button, then just type word

Do you see Microsoft Word in the resulting list and if so, can you open Word from there?

If you can:

Open the Settings App, go to Apps - Default Apps

Click Set Defaults by App, then scroll down to find Word and give it all its defaults . . .

If you cannot see Word in that list:

Do you know what version of Microsoft Office you had installed on your PC, was that Office 2016, 2019 or Office 365?

If so, go to Office 365 Login | Microsoft Office and if you're not already signed in, select Sign in

Locate your Office licence, select that and click Install to re-install Microsoft office . . .

DaveM121, Apr 1, 2021
  3. Steven Win User
    Changing the default font on Microsoft Word 2010 has no effect on new pages

Perform the following steps to set the default font for new Microsoft Word 2010 documents.

1. Right click the "Normal" Style on the Home ribbon and click Modify.
    2. Change the font to Times New Roman, 12 (or whatever you would prefer).
    3. Select the "New documents based on this template" option.
    4. Click OK
    5. Close and reopen Microsoft Word to confirm.

For Microsoft Excel, perform these steps:

1. Select File menu, Options item.
    2. Select the General category.
    3. Change "When creating new workbooks, use this font"
    4. Click OK to confirm
    5. Restart Microsoft Excel as instructed.

Steven, Apr 1, 2021
  4. Microsoft Word is no longer my default app

microsoft word 2003

I have a lot of ms word files on my pc. But one of them showed me an error - Getting unknown error messages while opening (.doc) or (.docx) files. I don't know how to open my word file or repair microsoft word. Any suggestions, guys, please.

abandone15, Apr 1, 2021
Thema:

Microsoft Word is no longer my default app

1. Microsoft Word is no longer my default app - Similar Threads - Microsoft Word longer

2. Microsoft Ultimate Word Games no longer works.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Ultimate Word Games no longer works.: I've tried everything including uninstalling, restarting then reinstalling. What is going on and how do I fix this? I have Microsoft 11 on Acer laptop. No problem with any other games....
  3. Microsoft Ultimate Word Games no longer works.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Ultimate Word Games no longer works.: I've tried everything including uninstalling, restarting then reinstalling. What is going on and how do I fix this? I have Microsoft 11 on Acer laptop. No problem with any other games....
  4. My Microsoft Store app no longer works.

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    My Microsoft Store app no longer works.: My Microsoft Store app no longer works and also I cannot update a Microsoft Game and now the Solitaire Card Game is no working. Any ideas Please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-microsoft-store-app-no-longer-works/b3707d7a-87c4-4a24-ac6f-73708043ac37
  5. My Microsoft Store app no longer works.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My Microsoft Store app no longer works.: My Microsoft Store app no longer works and also I cannot update a Microsoft Game and now the Solitaire Card Game is no working. Any ideas Please. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-microsoft-store-app-no-longer-works/b3707d7a-87c4-4a24-ac6f-73708043ac37
  6. My Microsoft Store app no longer works.

7. downloaded files no longer open in their default apps

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    downloaded files no longer open in their default apps: When receiving downloaded files, they no longer open in their default apps if applicable, but go directly to downloads directory. eg PDF files no longer give you the option of opening in Adobe Reader....
  8. Word defaults

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Word defaults: Can someone tell me how to change, permanently, the default font and size for Word in Office 2019? I refer specifically to the blank document that shows up whenever you start the program. I hate 11 point Calibri. Help. Please?...
  9. Set Microsoft Word Back to Defaults

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Set Microsoft Word Back to Defaults: For some reason only known to myself, I've messed around with Word settings and now I need to set it back to default (as it comes from Microsoft). Any help out there? *Redface 146971
  10. Default app change back to Microsoft Word

Default app change back to Microsoft Word: Hello, I have recently updated my Windows 10 system, as my computer told me to, but now I have lost my wonderful Microsoft Word to a new format that is called Word Pad. How can I go back to Word? I have gone to Settings - Apps - Default Apps, but there is no provision for...