Windows 10: Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10

Discus and support Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; One of Microsoft's biggest decisions this year will be whom to charge for Windows 10, and the dollar figure on the price sticker. Hints of that... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by bru, Jan 5, 2015.

1. BRU
    bru Win User

Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10

Read more here: Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Windows 10? | CITEworld

:)

2. The End of Windows 10 Free Upgrade

Well, the end has come for the year long free upgrade offer to Windows 10. Thankfully, I've made that

decision and can now enjoy that free promise while that offer was being made! For those who declined

the Windows 10 free upgrade, I still respect that decision for the ones who opted out. Nothing else to say

on the subject, but thank you, Microsoft for the free opportunity to experience a whole new Windows

unlike any other! Cheers!!! Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10 ;)

Michael Irwin 769, Jan 5, 2015
  3. Sunsteal Win User
    If I do the Win8.1 -> Win10 upgrade, and 2 years from now do a factory reset, what will happen?

No one seems to have answered this for you so I will.

When you do an inplace upgrade from Win7 or 8 to the free Win10 you'll see you don't need a serial key. That's because from an inplace upgrade Win10 contacts Microsoft and registers your hardware with them. Microsoft then automatically activates your
    Win10 install on that computer/hardware.

At that stage you are then able to do a clean install of Win10 at anytime (Even after the year) on that computer/hardware as Win10 will contact Microsoft who will look at your hardware and see its registered (from when you did the in place upgrade)
    and activate it again.

But if your 1st install of Win10 is as a clean install then that will never be activated (unless you purchase a copy of Win10 with a serial number).

This is a good system but has the drawback that in this 1st year Win10 is only free on that computer.

If you get a new computer this summer, within the year period for free Win10, then simply make a clone of your computer (uncase something goes wrong), do an in place upgrade to Win10 so it gets registered/activated and you can then roll back to whatever
    you had on the computer and then at anytime in the future install Win10 and it'll be activated. Do the upgrade after that year on a computer that was never upgraded to Win10 and you'll have to pay.

Sunsteal, Jan 5, 2015
  4. Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10

I doubt anyone will get free upgrades possibly testers but that's a long shot,

I don't see any reason why Microsoft would do anything different from when 8 was released it was reasonably priced but just was worth that much *Tongue
    Upgrades 14.95 and went up after that,
    Can't remember what iso's went for 49.99 ..to current pricing ?

ThrashZone, Jan 5, 2015
  5. Ztruker Win User
    I bought two copies of Windows 8 Pro for $40 each, wish I had bought more. W10 for that initial price would be great.

Ztruker, Jan 5, 2015
  6. WHS
    whs Win User
    *Ditto

7. Yep I thought it was 40 something but it's too early to say if I would do that/ probably :/

ThrashZone, Jan 5, 2015
  8. Trust_No1 Win User

I just don't see Windows 10 as being a big seller, no matter what they do. In the past 4 years most people who bought new systems, tablets and laptops, have done so. I see no reason for myself to get Windows 10. Tablet wise Windows hasn't proven to be all that worth while.

So that leaves only new PC buyers. I think forcing many off XP, the best candidates for a new PC, those have already done it, and they are not going to run right out and get a new OS.

Given that scenario, if Microsoft wants to get people to use the Windows 10, I think it will have to be almost dirt cheap. Unless, the Consumer Preview really WOW's me. I doubt I would even bother. I don't see anything in TP, that would make me switch.

Trust_No1, Jan 5, 2015
  9. Mystere Win User
    Yes, because nobody buys new computers. Nobody gets computers for the first time (think how each year all those students going off to college get new computers). Every year companies replace old systems (3-5 years) that have depreciated with new ones so they get the tax write-offs.

And, of course there are people that just have to have the latest technology, like the new 5th generation core processors, or they come out with a new must have mobile device because of its unique capabilities or cool look.

People buy stuff all the time, and that's not going to change.

Mystere, Jan 5, 2015
  10. I would hope it will do better than 8 has done
    But I agree not anything I would replace 7 for
    Bing on the start menu search is anticlimactic for me it just grosses me out completely,
    I went a long time avoiding Bing desktop search in 7 lol and 8 and 10 it's super glued *Biggrin

ThrashZone, Jan 5, 2015
  11. Trust_No1 Win User
    Yes, because nobody buys new computers. Nobody gets computers for the first time (think how each year all those students going off to college get new computers). Every year companies replace old systems (3-5 years) that have depreciated with new ones so they get the tax write-offs.

And, of course there are people that just have to have the latest technology, like the new 5th generation core processors, or they come out with a new must have mobile device because of its unique capabilities or cool look.

People buy stuff all the time, and that's not going to change. All I can respond to that with, is that hardware differs from software. I agree people buy new systems all the time, doesn't mean they will be Windows 10. As a comparison, Apples iOS8 was a free upgrade to all, and came pre-installed on the new iPhones.

I may buy a new bed, but will use my same sheets and pillows.

That is why I think Microsoft will have to offer Windows 10 at a very, very affordable price, or people simply won't buy it. That is my opinion, you believe as you wish.

Trust_No1, Jan 5, 2015
  12. adamf Win User
    Not if you get a bed from Ikea though - the standard size sheets won't fit as I found out to my cost. Anyway this analogy would be better if the bed came with sheets but you decided to keep using the old ones. Or something like that *Smile

Like Ztrucker I'll get a couple if I can. I only got one cheap upgrade to 8 - should have got more.

adamf, Jan 5, 2015
  13. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

the ONE thing that has really made me want to go to W10 from W7 is the STORAGE SPACES. I use these a lot in W8.1 already and when corporate apps will run on W10 (SAPGUI and the like) I won't have any problem in switching.

W8.1 isn't too bad but it's still not suitable IMO for a workplace replacement for W7 -- W10 most definitely CAN (and IMO should be) -- built in security, ISO mount, better Touch screen handling and mobile integration and above all Storage spaces.

W7 was a great OS but it's worth it upgrading (providing the cost isn't too much).

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 5, 2015
  14. CountMike New Member
    It would be only fair for us early adopters to get it free but looking at past MS record seems highly improbable !!! Every Windows (excluding Vista) I had since alpha version and still had to buy each one. A little hope gives recent heavy discount for upgrade to W8 for some and for a short time only.
    Dear M$, there's one little step you can make now !!! That could gather a lot of fans that way.

CountMike, Jan 6, 2015
  15. If there's a good deal on it I'll buy it. When 7 came out I got the pre-order deal and was very pleased. I got 8 with a new laptop and upgraded it to 8.1 and I like it have no real complaints. I run the 10 preview in a VM and like it as well, although running in a VM on this Notebook does throw a bit more heat out.

Joan Archer, Jan 6, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft's big decision

2. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  3. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  4. Who decides the future of Windows 10? Who are the real decision makers? There are some...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Who decides the future of Windows 10? Who are the real decision makers? There are some...: I spend a lot of time on my my gaming PC im using it to write this post - I use 10 Pro 20H2 19042.685 Iam an outspoken advocate and all around fan of Microsoft and what they have done since. Quick background I am 33 yr old man - been glued to a PC screen since I was 5 years...
  5. Win10 free upgrade version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 free upgrade version: After Win10 download, pc settings needs to be reset manually again. But Win10 is demanding to reactive Windows, What? Windows isn't Activated, pressed the button to activate - nothing happens? >2nd question, after upgrading to win10, system is rejecting owner to enter Devise...
  6. Win10 free upgrade after reformatting

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 free upgrade after reformatting: EDIT: For future reference, when resetting (reformat) your windows 10 PC, you won't need to reinstall your OS. I'm not sure if its the same thing for when you completely wipe your PC though. [How to Reset Your Windows 10 PC] We've only bought the Win8 disk and got the Win...
  7. Getting Win10 free upgrade installed on new drive

Getting Win10 free upgrade installed on new drive: Greetings, I've researched this but have a bit of a unique situation. I am running windows 7 on a SATA2 SSD but I plan to upgrade to a PCIe SSD when I install Windows 10. Up until now I thought I would have to spring for a new OEM windows 10 disk, however I wonder if this...
  8. A few questions for decision to upgrade

A few questions for decision to upgrade: Currently, Win7 Pro on new laptop- I purchased a refurbished Lenovo T530 (replacing a limping 6-7 year old T61), 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM built 2012, Nvidia card, 15.6" FHD (1920x1080) NO TOUCH, Intel Core i5 3320M (2.60GHz). The machine config I wanted is not being produced yet...
  9. Buying instead of the Free Upgrade of Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Buying instead of the Free Upgrade of Win10: How many folks are planning to buy the Win10 Pro version when it is released? I am going to buy a full copy when it is comes out. A year does not last very long and then we will need to buy it anyways. Hopefully MS will include a discount for us early buyers or for those...
  10. Question About Free Upgrade To Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Question About Free Upgrade To Win10: I am confused about the one year free upgrade. Is it free as in upgrade for a year and it is yours to have forever? Or is it free for one year and then you have to pay even though you already upgraded? 5215