Windows 10: Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10

Discus and support Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Free?? No.. Some testers might get a free copy but not many, just my 2c. Cost?? I'm going to put money aside and get a copy to do a clean install of... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by bru, Jan 5, 2015.

1. BunnyJ New Member

Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10

Free?? No.. Some testers might get a free copy but not many, just my 2c.
    Cost?? I'm going to put money aside and get a copy to do a clean install of Win10.

Jeff..*Smile

BunnyJ, Jan 6, 2015
  2. LEE
    Lee Win User

*Ditto. . .I was going to say basically the same thing except be a little more blunt (like no one is forcing you to test windows 10 so why is it you feel that Microsoft owes you a free copy?).

3. groze Win User
    *Ditto. . .I was going to say basically the same thing except be a little more blunt (like no one is forcing you to test windows 10 so why is it you feel that Microsoft owes you a free copy?).
    I wouldn't say the people here are doing this, other people are basically using windows 10 preview as Shareware. When it expire they will go back to their old systems.

I guess I am go with a No of getting windows 10. Simple reason no extra money, plus I really couldn't get the color theme like I have in windows 7 when I was testing windows 10. I have eye issues.

groze, Jan 6, 2015
  4. Trust_No1 Win User

*Ditto. . .I was going to say basically the same thing except be a little more blunt (like no one is forcing you to test windows 10 so why is it you feel that Microsoft owes you a free copy?). Who is/are the "YOU" that you refer to? No one I see in this post, has said they expect anything for free other than the author, who poses the question.

But, I do expect it to be reasonably priced. I think Windows 8.1 prices are outrageous, especially Pro which costs $100.00 more and hardly has any benefits, and they all still have issues. They charge $10.00 for Media Center (which is fine) except you have to upgrade to Pro to use it, and it has the same problems and errors it had in 2003, they have not improved it any.

Microsoft is marketing Windows 10 as the fix all to Windows 8/8.1, so people feel they are being charged again, for what Windows 8/8.1 should have been to start with.

For all of these reasons, I feel pricing is a very big concern.

I don't expect to keep paying for different versions (or corrections), until they think that have gotten it right.

Trust_No1, Jan 6, 2015
  5. CountMike New Member
    *Ditto. . .I was going to say basically the same thing except be a little more blunt (like no one is forcing you to test windows 10 so why is it you feel that Microsoft owes you a free copy?). Maybe because somebody spent hours and days, maybe months testing and eventually reporting bugs and giving suggestions to MS and so essentially doing part of their job.

CountMike, Jan 6, 2015
  6. BunnyJ New Member
    *Ditto. . .I was going to say basically the same thing except be a little more blunt (like no one is forcing you to test windows 10 so why is it you feel that Microsoft owes you a free copy?). Maybe because somebody spent hours and days, maybe months testing and eventually reporting bugs and giving suggestions to MS and so essentially doing part of their job. The point is that no one is forcing you to test the OS. You volunteered to do it and why should MS give you a copy for volunteering??

BunnyJ, Jan 6, 2015
  7. CountMike New Member
    In that case I volunteered to pay for windows too. But that's not a point, this time they (MS) actively asked for help, people answered the call and would be only fair to get compensated for hard work they put into it. If nothing else, I'm sure they will get some new customers based on my recommendation and they'll be paying full price. That would be a good marketing tool that would not cost them much. My best bet is that MS will loose much more to pirating than to show some grace to sincere testers. I have already sunk a lot of money in their products (ever since first DOS) and brought them many more times that in recommendations to other users. Can promise you one thing, if I don't get some satisfaction out of this testing, it's a small chance I would be buying any more from M$ and sure as heck 'am not going to recommend any more.

CountMike, Jan 6, 2015
  8. labeeman Win User

The point is that no one is forcing you to work for your boss. You volunteered to do it and why should your boss give you any money for volunteering.

labeeman, Jan 6, 2015
  9. groze Win User
    *Ditto. . .I was going to say basically the same thing except be a little more blunt (like no one is forcing you to test windows 10 so why is it you feel that Microsoft owes you a free copy?). Maybe because somebody spent hours and days, maybe months testing and eventually reporting bugs and giving suggestions to MS and so essentially doing part of their job. The point is that no one is forcing you to test the OS. You volunteered to do it and why should MS give you a copy for volunteering?? I agree with count mike. I hate to bring this up, but Microsoft has been laying people off and they are still continuing to do so. How can we get rid of more workers, oh lets open up the testing of the operating systems to more people worldwide, we don't have to pay them. The layoffs has me concerned about the future of the windows operating system especially if Microsoft goes out of business.

groze, Jan 6, 2015
  10. BunnyJ New Member
    *Ditto. . .I was going to say basically the same thing except be a little more blunt (like no one is forcing you to test windows 10 so why is it you feel that Microsoft owes you a free copy?). Maybe because somebody spent hours and days, maybe months testing and eventually reporting bugs and giving suggestions to MS and so essentially doing part of their job. The point is that no one is forcing you to test the OS. You volunteered to do it and why should MS give you a copy for volunteering?? I agree with count mike. I hate to bring this up, but Microsoft has been laying people off and they are still continuing to do so. How can we get rid of more workers, oh lets open up the testing of the operating systems to more people worldwide, we don't have to pay them. The lay offs has me concerned about the future of the windows operating system especially if Microsoft goes out of business. You're ignoring the fact that you and others( including me) volunteered to test the OS regardless of what MS did to their staffing. Since when do volunteers get paid for their efforts?

BunnyJ, Jan 6, 2015
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    The point is that no one is forcing you to work for your boss. You volunteered to do it and why should your boss give you any money for volunteering. I have a contract with my employer to work for pay. It's not volunteering.

BunnyJ, Jan 6, 2015
  12. groze Win User
    Jeff,
    I don't like volunteers taking the place of a paid employees. I am sure you wouldn't like it if a volunteer took your job. In the U.S. in the past volunteers was ok, now to me it seems like volunteers are actually replacing paid workers. This could be why we have a high poverty rate in the U.S. I am for volunteers as long as it doesn't replace the paid workers.

groze, Jan 6, 2015
  13. BunnyJ New Member

Keep in mind that MS can't test every way that the new OS will be used so they will need others(volunteers) to test it out, I too hate the idea of MS laying off employees but I don't know how many were related to the development of Win10.

BunnyJ, Jan 6, 2015
  14. Edwin New Member
    I don't care anymore, I just want to get W10 period!!! *Biggrin

Edwin, Jan 6, 2015
  15. Fine words, but there's really not much of an alternative if you want to run your windows based application software; Microsoft have got us over a barrel in much the same way as Apple has for their clientele.

I don't expect any reduction in purchasing an upgrade to Windows 10, but based on the current build there are a number of issues with Adobe Photoshop CS6 & Microsoft Frontpage which would keep me with Windows 7 or, at best, going to Windows 8.1 if the price dropped dramatically.

Adobe Photoshop CS6 still crashes every time I try to print & Frontpage (OK I know it's no meant to be supported) which works fine apart when it crashes opening a folder to locate a url link.

WightWalker, Jan 6, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft's big decision

2. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  3. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  4. Who decides the future of Windows 10? Who are the real decision makers? There are some...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Who decides the future of Windows 10? Who are the real decision makers? There are some...: I spend a lot of time on my my gaming PC im using it to write this post - I use 10 Pro 20H2 19042.685 Iam an outspoken advocate and all around fan of Microsoft and what they have done since. Quick background I am 33 yr old man - been glued to a PC screen since I was 5 years...
  5. Win10 free upgrade version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 free upgrade version: After Win10 download, pc settings needs to be reset manually again. But Win10 is demanding to reactive Windows, What? Windows isn't Activated, pressed the button to activate - nothing happens? >2nd question, after upgrading to win10, system is rejecting owner to enter Devise...
  6. Win10 free upgrade after reformatting

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 free upgrade after reformatting: EDIT: For future reference, when resetting (reformat) your windows 10 PC, you won't need to reinstall your OS. I'm not sure if its the same thing for when you completely wipe your PC though. [How to Reset Your Windows 10 PC] We've only bought the Win8 disk and got the Win...
  7. Getting Win10 free upgrade installed on new drive

Getting Win10 free upgrade installed on new drive: Greetings, I've researched this but have a bit of a unique situation. I am running windows 7 on a SATA2 SSD but I plan to upgrade to a PCIe SSD when I install Windows 10. Up until now I thought I would have to spring for a new OEM windows 10 disk, however I wonder if this...
  8. A few questions for decision to upgrade

A few questions for decision to upgrade: Currently, Win7 Pro on new laptop- I purchased a refurbished Lenovo T530 (replacing a limping 6-7 year old T61), 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM built 2012, Nvidia card, 15.6" FHD (1920x1080) NO TOUCH, Intel Core i5 3320M (2.60GHz). The machine config I wanted is not being produced yet...
  9. Buying instead of the Free Upgrade of Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Buying instead of the Free Upgrade of Win10: How many folks are planning to buy the Win10 Pro version when it is released? I am going to buy a full copy when it is comes out. A year does not last very long and then we will need to buy it anyways. Hopefully MS will include a discount for us early buyers or for those...
  10. Question About Free Upgrade To Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Question About Free Upgrade To Win10: I am confused about the one year free upgrade. Is it free as in upgrade for a year and it is yours to have forever? Or is it free for one year and then you have to pay even though you already upgraded? 5215