Windows 10: Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10

Discus and support Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; I wonder how many users are really testing windows 10 preview not counting the windows 10 forum. How many are just doing it because they can download... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by bru, Jan 5, 2015.

1. groze Win User

Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10

I wonder how many users are really testing windows 10 preview not counting the windows 10 forum. How many are just doing it because they can download if for free and using the software till April 15, 2015? (I think it should of came with a warning that it expires on April 15, 2015. You should have to type in the date of the windows 10 expiration before it will even install. This way, people cant come back and say, I didn't know it expires, I didn't make a backup for my system. ).

What is going on Microsoft did offer free and a discount upgrade for windows 7 to windows 8.x and people remember that. Microsoft stopped doing that.

groze, Jan 7, 2015
  2. BunnyJ New Member

Simple, don't test anymore. MS didn't force you to test anything. Why shouldn't I ? Did same for all other windows but after all those years I think I'm entitled to some recognition. Heck, even my grocer gives me discount for shopping there many years. Then stop complaining about how you may not get a copy of Win10. Not many if any others are going to get a free copy for testing this OS and I for one am just fine with MS for not giving me a free copy. Just what kind of incentive do you want MS to provide you with in the future or now?? I'm not complaining, just stating my position on it. I'm not asking for a life time free M$ club gold membership, one token of appreciation for my and other people testing would be nice. I suppose you would insist on paying for windows even if they gave them away for free ? You silly.. I would take the free copy. And again.. what would you like MS to give you as a reward for your efforts??

BunnyJ, Jan 7, 2015
  3. CountMike New Member
    Continued free use on computer originally installed on, would be nice. Something like OEM copy, they charge very little for it anyway, giving it free for small devices too. Would cost them zilch anyway. Think about it, great marketing trick, don't cost them anything but ensure possibility of continual testing and improving without paying professionals to do it. Monopoly has to be earned too, you have to position yourself and stay there at the top and competition is much more capable nowadays than let's say 10 years ago.

CountMike, Jan 7, 2015
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

There was a discussion of a free OS with advertisement. I don't know whether we would like that.

But then there is always Linux. I bet half of the PC users could very well live with a nice Linux distro like Mint. But the PC manufacturers do not offer that. I really wonder why. Have a look how nice it can be.

5. Mystere Win User
    Uhh.. really? Not complaining?

That sure sounds like complaining to me. "Entitled" is a strong word.

Microsoft didn't used to allow just anyone to get access to these early beta versions. And Windows was a lot poorer because of it. We get a lot of benefit from this... We get a better OS in the long run. We get early access to the technology so that when it comes out, we already have strong knowledge in it. Many of us can parlay that into paying gigs. We get the opportunity to influence how the OS is being developed, so that it suits OUR needs... Granted, they may not listen, but we do have the opportunity to see what they're doing and make our opinions known.

That's a lot of benefit. Every person that runs a beta version of Windows, even if they never report a bug or give feedback is contributing telemetry data about installations, hardware configurations, automatic error reports, etc.. All this goes towards making the final OS work better for everyone, including YOU.

I mean, think about it... If Microsoft said "You're all a bunch of whiners, we're not releasing any more betas" *WE* would be the ones that would suffer because of it, not Microsoft. They get paid to do their jobs whether they product good software or bad. We benefit because we're the ones paying for the software, and the more we do to make that software better, the better it is for *US*.

Having said that... Microsoft has, in the past, given out free copies to select testers, but only to those that are in intensive beta programs, who submit regular, complete and detailed bug reports, follow up with developers and do special testing, etc... In other words, it's more or less a second job. Not just something you do now and then, and only haphazardly.

I'm sorry, but installing a beta copy and using it does not constitute intensive beta testing. You aren't doing deliberate breakage tests and writing up detailed reports of the results. You aren't a QA Engineer.

MS isn't going to give a free final copy of windows to everyone that downloads the beat. They've never done that.

Mystere, Jan 7, 2015
  6. groze Win User
    Lubuntu is the operating system I installed but I also installed Xfce. I hardly even go into Lubuntu unless something doesn't work quite right in Xfce which doesn't happen that often. Before anyone says anything, I did try Xubuntu that comes with Xfce. A lot of software I wanted need some dependencies that comes with Lubuntu plus some hardware wouldn't work correctly. Here is a screenshot.

Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10 [​IMG]

groze, Jan 7, 2015
  7. groze Win User
    Microsoft did give free copies to testers in the past. If I recall, they also gave free upgrades to 8.1 and I think a discount to windows 7 user who upgraded to 8.1 the only issue was the time to get that was limited, which ticks me off a little because I got the windows 7 computer afterwards. That ok because I really like Windows 7.

groze, Jan 7, 2015
  8. LEE
    Lee Win User

What is WHS. . .you just can't get away from pushing Linux on a Windows forum. . .

9. WHS
    whs Win User
    What is . . .you just can't get away from pushing Linux on a Windows forum. . . I am not pushing anything. I just point out options. I am a Windows pro and Linux is my hobby. You have to keep an open mind. But maybe you care to tell me what's wrong with Linux.

10. groze Win User
    What is WHS. . .you just can't get away from pushing Linux on a Windows forum. . . I am not pushing anything. I just point out options. I am a Windows pro and Linux is my hobby. You have to keep an open mind. But maybe you care to tell me what's wrong with Linux. Whs,
    I as well use windows 7 the most, yes I do occasionally use Linux to keep it updated and to run old windows 16 bit programs using wine. We ought keep in mind an alternate operating system in-case Microsoft goes belly up.

groze, Jan 7, 2015
  11. WHS
    whs Win User
    In case they go belly up or decide on unacceptable conditions. But we are currently far from that. It is, however, prudent to never put all eggs into one basket.

12. Whilst that is true, does MS actually list a specific set of hardware components that are guaranteed to work with a specific version of Windows (I don't mean minimum/general hardware requirements)?

I wasn't expecting to receive anything from MS (not even an email saying thanks).

A discount voucher (say 50% reduction) would be a way of generating more good will for MS amongst IT personnel and enthusiasts.
    These groups are probably the biggest purchasers of "boxed" versions of Windows.

They are also consulted by family/friends, when they wish to get a new system (or upgrade one).
    A bit of good will from MS should generate more positive recommendations by IT personnel and enthusiasts to their family/friends.

lehnerus2000, Jan 7, 2015
  13. LEE
    Lee Win User

What is WHS. . .you just can't get away from pushing Linux on a Windows forum. . . I am not pushing anything. I just point out options. I am a Windows pro and Linux is my hobby. You have to keep an open mind. But maybe you care to tell me what's wrong with Linux. Why do you need to point it out. . .really see no reason to even mention Linux on a windows forum. Most of the folks on this forum already know about Linux, and those who don't probably wouldn't use it anyway.

14. groze Win User
    What is WHS. . .you just can't get away from pushing Linux on a Windows forum. . . I am not pushing anything. I just point out options. I am a Windows pro and Linux is my hobby. You have to keep an open mind. But maybe you care to tell me what's wrong with Linux. Why do you need to point it out. . .really see no reason to even mention Linux on a windows forum. Most of the folks on this forum already know about Linux, and those who don't probably wouldn't use it anyway. Why are so against Linux Lee? What if some asked "what are the alternatives to Windows operating system?" I like both windows & Linux. Here is a better example. How can I run a windows 16 bit program on a 64 bit machine? Install Linux 64 bit then install wine32 within Linux in dual boot mode with windows but I would go into more detail on how to do it.

groze, Jan 7, 2015
  15. BunnyJ New Member
    I sort of agree with Lee, this is a windows forum and supporting Linux is a bit odd or against the grain, IMO. YMMV

BunnyJ, Jan 7, 2015
Thema:

1. Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft's big decision

2. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  3. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  4. Who decides the future of Windows 10? Who are the real decision makers? There are some...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Who decides the future of Windows 10? Who are the real decision makers? There are some...: I spend a lot of time on my my gaming PC im using it to write this post - I use 10 Pro 20H2 19042.685 Iam an outspoken advocate and all around fan of Microsoft and what they have done since. Quick background I am 33 yr old man - been glued to a PC screen since I was 5 years...
  5. Win10 free upgrade version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 free upgrade version: After Win10 download, pc settings needs to be reset manually again. But Win10 is demanding to reactive Windows, What? Windows isn't Activated, pressed the button to activate - nothing happens? >2nd question, after upgrading to win10, system is rejecting owner to enter Devise...
  6. Win10 free upgrade after reformatting

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 free upgrade after reformatting: EDIT: For future reference, when resetting (reformat) your windows 10 PC, you won't need to reinstall your OS. I'm not sure if its the same thing for when you completely wipe your PC though. [How to Reset Your Windows 10 PC] We've only bought the Win8 disk and got the Win...
  7. Getting Win10 free upgrade installed on new drive

Getting Win10 free upgrade installed on new drive: Greetings, I've researched this but have a bit of a unique situation. I am running windows 7 on a SATA2 SSD but I plan to upgrade to a PCIe SSD when I install Windows 10. Up until now I thought I would have to spring for a new OEM windows 10 disk, however I wonder if this...
  8. A few questions for decision to upgrade

A few questions for decision to upgrade: Currently, Win7 Pro on new laptop- I purchased a refurbished Lenovo T530 (replacing a limping 6-7 year old T61), 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM built 2012, Nvidia card, 15.6" FHD (1920x1080) NO TOUCH, Intel Core i5 3320M (2.60GHz). The machine config I wanted is not being produced yet...
  9. Buying instead of the Free Upgrade of Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Buying instead of the Free Upgrade of Win10: How many folks are planning to buy the Win10 Pro version when it is released? I am going to buy a full copy when it is comes out. A year does not last very long and then we will need to buy it anyways. Hopefully MS will include a discount for us early buyers or for those...
  10. Question About Free Upgrade To Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Question About Free Upgrade To Win10: I am confused about the one year free upgrade. Is it free as in upgrade for a year and it is yours to have forever? Or is it free for one year and then you have to pay even though you already upgraded? 5215