Windows 10: Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10

Discus and support Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10 in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Hi there. Actually you can easily make Linux more "Windows" than "Windows" itself. Here's two screenshots of a CENTOS 7 laptop -- I'll bet a lot... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by bru, Jan 5, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10

Hi there.

Actually you can easily make Linux more "Windows" than "Windows" itself.

Here's two screenshots of a CENTOS 7 laptop -- I'll bet a lot of people would immediately think that it's a Windows desktop (and it has a menu too -- classic menu as shown or the "Launcher style" with search etc.

At least the OS is 100% FREE and now that it's also got long term Red Hat support this is one that WILL stay around --note Red Hat runs about 85% of the world's servers.

However getting back to W10 -- yes it would be nice for a Free upgrade but it's not going to happen (unless you get a W8.1 device a few weeks before W10 is released). There might be some special deals though.

There are still quite a few things Windows does easier than Linux although the gap is narrowing all the time.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 7, 2015
  2. groze Win User

Jimbo45, Are you running windows 10 in a virtual machine with the Virtual Machine itself being installed on Linux?

groze, Jan 7, 2015
  3. Hi

Everyone who buys a new PC will get Windows 10.
    Thats about 5.5 Million PCs a year.

I doubt that more than a tiny percentage of people would downgrade their new computer to an earlier version of Windows.

How many people will upgrade from 7 and 8?

That's up in the air but everyone I know plans on updating from 8, some of my friends who are running 7 say then won't upgrade until they get a new computer, but my friend Paul plans on updating his Windows 7 computer to 10.

But no one I know keeps their computer more than 5 years or so, but they are all into performance, I suppose some people keep their computers for 10 years.

But by then I assume we'll be running Windows 11 or 12, maybe 13, (I think they should skip that and go to 14)?

By the way, I just read an article that discussed why PC sales are going up relative to tablet sales.

Businesses and consumers alike are again purchasing PCs, and Mac sales are on the rise year-over-year. Businesses in particular are forced to upgrade older PCs now that Windows XP is no longer supported. When purchasing a new PC, the main driver to choose a PC versus a tablet is fairly obvious: If you are creating any type of content regularly, you need a keyboard, a larger screen, and (for most businesses) Microsoft Office.

Mike

MikeHawthorne, Jan 7, 2015
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

What is . . .you just can't get away from pushing Linux on a Windows forum. . . I am not pushing anything. I just point out options. I am a Windows pro and Linux is my hobby. You have to keep an open mind. But maybe you care to tell me what's wrong with Linux. Why do you need to point it out. . .really see no reason to even mention Linux on a windows forum. Most of the folks on this forum already know about Linux, and those who don't probably wouldn't use it anyway. Where would you like to acquaint people with Linux if not here - on a cooking or gardening forum?? And although many people here may have heard the word "Linux", few probably have used a Linux distro. And in these days where everybody gets hacked and snooped on it is an excellent additional tool to have some peace of mind when you operate on the internet.

But those that do not want to learn anything or are just narrow minded, can easily skip my comments.

5. Trust_No1 Win User
    LOL, I am just the opposite, everyone I know keeps their PC's forever, I just gave a friend, one of my older systems, an older AMD machine, he was running a Pentium 4 with XP *Confused..

I have been trying to talk my brother into getting a new system, he just refuses and continues to run his Vista machine.

My neighbors brother still runs, all of his business PC's on XP (15 machines). He won't upgrade either.

They could care less, what the rest of the computing world does, just as long as their systems keep running.

Trust_No1, Jan 7, 2015
  6. groze Win User
    Since, you said no one I know keeps their computer more than 5 years. Now, you do. I still have a windows 98se that at least 16 years old but I didn't get till 8 years ago and it is still working. This electric surge damaged the network card a few months ago, before then I was able to get online with 98se.

groze, Jan 7, 2015
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there.

Running VMWARE workstation 10.0.4 / vmplayer V6 on LINUX CENTOS 7 HOST with W10 as a VM (W10 build 9879 - Enterprise x-64).

Set USB compatibility to 2.0 (Host Linux runs USB 3.0 OK but not sure if it's VMWARE USB drivers or W10 USB support -- sometimes with USB 3.0 set the VM hangs and needs the HOST also to re-boot !!!!.

VMware workstation 11.0 has problems with W10 at times -- the taskbar disappears and you can't launch anything unless you exit FULL SCREEN. Connecting USB devices also fails at times -- VM says connected but you can't access them -- so I'm staying on the 10.0.4 VMWARE release (or vmplayer 6) -- works perfectly.

So recap - HOST is LINUX CENTOS 7 - GUESTS - W10, W7 and W8.1 all X-64 and XP (still using daily !!).

Here's W10 running on Linux Host.

You can run a VM in a VM but I wouldn't advise doing it -- at least not on typical home computers / laptops. CPU /Memory is often powerful enough but even SSD's (consumer grade) aren't really good enough for this -- standard spinners would just be HOPELESS even with i7 CPU. !!!! The Disk I/O would just KILL the machine stone dead.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jan 7, 2015
  8. Mystere Win User

I hope those machines are not connected to the internet. If they are, They're a disaster waiting to happen, since they're insecure bot-fodder. He'll care when they get taken over by a bot network and he finds them encrypted by a random ransomware Trojan and all of his files and data lost.

Mystere, Jan 7, 2015
  9. OK. Here are a few things I can remember about beta testing for Microsoft. In England in 1997 I beta tested Windows 98. I was sent in the mail a CD and a non disclosure agreement. Anyone who found a bug that was able to be duplicated got a copy of Windows 98 when it went gold. I could not find anything wrong with it on my PII 350 Mhz with 128mb of ram and 8 meg ATi graphics card. It all worked perfectly and the only thing that screwed up was AOL AIM which had a memory leak like it did on 95. No free windows for me. It was about 60GBP for the OEM version which I bought.
    Later I worked for Thomson and Best Buy and beta tested Vista. Told them what I thought. They still farmed out the OS with underpowered machines and damaged its reputation beyond fixable. Seriously the machines were stupidly underpowered as Intel did not want to be left with a pile of crap CPU's and chipsets so drivers were written for them even though the CPU could barely run Vista with 256 mb of RAM. I stuck to XP. Windows 7, got beta's for that, this was new we could download the ISO. You could for Vista too but not so many had broadband then. Loved 7. Got several copies on Ultimate for $15 by entering competitions with Best Buy. I had a DVD two weeks before release to the general public. Upgrades were available for cheap. If you remember Home Premium 3 packs for the price of 1.
    Did Beta testing for 8. Told them what I thought, they took no notice and released it with no start menu like previous version. Had recently bought a Netbook from New Egg and got a Windows 8 Pro licence for $15. If you just wanted to upgrade the price was $30 plus tax. I also was bought one for Xmas and obtained a further licence from a member. I am using 2 of them with 2 x Media center licences. I believe when 10 is released we will be able to get the pro version for $10 to $15 plus more money for a DVD to be shipped to you. I suspect there may be a family pack. The computer market is saturated. I have 5 years on my Windows 7 installations. I will most likely buy a few copies for upgrades to my main machines. So far I have liked some of Windows 10. Some of it gets up my nose like the PC settings arrangement. On a desktop Control panel looks far more sensible to me. As to M$ layoffs I suspect they fired the guys who do a lot of the testing. Checking out "fixes" on various hardware and software combos. This is normal. Testers cost a lot of money and if you want the figures to work that way they are an unneeded extra. So a few thousand get their machines bricked. Could have happened to anyone. I have seen companies do this several times before and everything hits the fan till the fly boy in control says "They told me that but I figured they were covering their aspects". So there will be a painful period followed by the fix and more testers will be hired to test software. So it breaks down to this. Buy a PC get "free" Windows 10. Upgrades downloadable for the first 3 months (Early Adopters) $10 - $15. After 3 months back to the absurd pricing of $100 for Core and $200 for Pro etc. On cheap devices core is free to the OEM partners. I do not know if we will be able to download the free version which sells your data.

Indianatone, Jan 7, 2015
  10. WHS
    whs Win User
    I hope those machines are not connected to the internet. If they are, They're a disaster waiting to happen, since they're insecure bot-fodder. He'll care when they get taken over by a bot network and he finds them encrypted by a random ransomware Trojan and all of his files and data lost. This guy will have to learn the hard way.

11. He probably has pcmatic he'll be fine according to the commercials
    Racking up the x-p suckers *Wink

ThrashZone, Jan 7, 2015
  12. groze Win User
    I thought Microsoft was allowing certain businesses and enterprises to keep getting security updates for windows xp operating system. One example is ATM's(Automated Teller Machines) also called ABM's.

groze, Jan 8, 2015
  13. Mystere Win User

If you're willing to pay for End of life support, yes, you can get security updates. This is not cheap though. It's far cheaper to fix your software and hardware and roll it out.

Mystere, Jan 8, 2015
  14. Mystere Win User
    Indeed, and as I said, Microsoft Did give free copies to a few people, those that were involved in active beta programs. These were much smaller groups, typically on the order of thousands of participants, not millions. And yes, you did have to actually find bugs. Which for many, meant actively trying to break it. Then, writing up the reports, following up with the support staff and possibly the developers, testing the fixed code, etc... If you were in a beta program, and did not report any bugs, you were less likely to get invited into another such program.

I was in the Windows 95, 98 Office 95, Office XP and Office 2003 betas (as well as a number of development tools like SQL Server 2000) and received free copies, but I had to work my ass off for them. Things changed when they started releasing Consumer beta's and previews. These people are not beta testers in the traditional sense, since they're not required to submit any bug reports and there is no expectation of them doing much of anything.

Mystere, Jan 8, 2015
  15. Emma Win User
    I like trying a new OS. I bought my first PC in 1996 and every time a new OS came out I bought a new one and gave the other one to a family member. I love learning this stuff.

My Sis's husband was into computer work most of his life and she started on dos and would be still using it if her sons had not forced a windows PC on her. I will upgrade my W 8.1 laptop when 10 is released.

Thema:

1. Microsoft's big decision: Who gets a free upgrade to Win10 - Similar Threads - Microsoft's big decision

2. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  3. Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Win8 upgraded to WIn10 free ?: Same as the question. 1 Do I need a new Win10 product key ? 2 Do I need to enter the old Win8 product key ? I don't know my Win8 key as it was bought many years ago. Thank you for answering....
  4. Who decides the future of Windows 10? Who are the real decision makers? There are some...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Who decides the future of Windows 10? Who are the real decision makers? There are some...: I spend a lot of time on my my gaming PC im using it to write this post - I use 10 Pro 20H2 19042.685 Iam an outspoken advocate and all around fan of Microsoft and what they have done since. Quick background I am 33 yr old man - been glued to a PC screen since I was 5 years...
  5. Win10 free upgrade version

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Win10 free upgrade version: After Win10 download, pc settings needs to be reset manually again. But Win10 is demanding to reactive Windows, What? Windows isn't Activated, pressed the button to activate - nothing happens? >2nd question, after upgrading to win10, system is rejecting owner to enter Devise...
  6. Win10 free upgrade after reformatting

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Win10 free upgrade after reformatting: EDIT: For future reference, when resetting (reformat) your windows 10 PC, you won't need to reinstall your OS. I'm not sure if its the same thing for when you completely wipe your PC though. [How to Reset Your Windows 10 PC] We've only bought the Win8 disk and got the Win...
  7. Getting Win10 free upgrade installed on new drive

Getting Win10 free upgrade installed on new drive: Greetings, I've researched this but have a bit of a unique situation. I am running windows 7 on a SATA2 SSD but I plan to upgrade to a PCIe SSD when I install Windows 10. Up until now I thought I would have to spring for a new OEM windows 10 disk, however I wonder if this...
  8. A few questions for decision to upgrade

A few questions for decision to upgrade: Currently, Win7 Pro on new laptop- I purchased a refurbished Lenovo T530 (replacing a limping 6-7 year old T61), 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM built 2012, Nvidia card, 15.6" FHD (1920x1080) NO TOUCH, Intel Core i5 3320M (2.60GHz). The machine config I wanted is not being produced yet...
  9. Buying instead of the Free Upgrade of Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Buying instead of the Free Upgrade of Win10: How many folks are planning to buy the Win10 Pro version when it is released? I am going to buy a full copy when it is comes out. A year does not last very long and then we will need to buy it anyways. Hopefully MS will include a discount for us early buyers or for those...
  10. Question About Free Upgrade To Win10

in Windows 10 Support
    Question About Free Upgrade To Win10: I am confused about the one year free upgrade. Is it free as in upgrade for a year and it is yours to have forever? Or is it free for one year and then you have to pay even though you already upgraded? 5215