Windows 10: Microsoft's butchery of Skype (and Windows!)

Discus and support Microsoft's butchery of Skype (and Windows!) in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; As a former Microsoft employee in the U.S. Developers division of Microsof Press, I spent years defending Microsoft and its products against its... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Maarike, Oct 22, 2018.

1. Maarike Win User

Microsoft's butchery of Skype (and Windows!)

As a former Microsoft employee in the U.S. Developers division of Microsof Press, I spent years defending Microsoft and its products against its detractors. Sadly, this is no longer true. Somewhere along the line, Microsoft forgot that its customer base does not consist only of those who use a tablet/desktop hybrid, and thus an operating system that is geared toward touch control. What happened to the days when a new operating system was based on and improved its predecessor? Business environments have used mainly NT, 2000, and 7 for good reason: they were stable, reliable, and intuitive for a previous Windows user. My company has been forced into upgrading to Windows 10 because the OEMs don't even make 7 available, and it has been a destructive change in terms of productivity. One reason among many is the byzantine personalization features, which really don't personalize at all. I am stuck with a display that barely shows selected text, a version of Outlook that is very difficult to parse visually do to its lack of color differentiation. And please don't tell me to go switch to high contrast. That is not an answer.

Now on to Skype. I have been a Skype user for years, and Microsoft's purchase of Skype has rendered a perfectly executed, easily understood interface close to useless. I finally uninstalled it this morning (after spending an hour trying to figure it how to update a contact's phone number which Skype had synced with an older contact version) and installed a 2017 version (version 7.41.0.101) that I was immediately informed was about to be discontinued. Why? Why can't you just make it available for those who want it? You do not have to continue supporting it, just allow it to be used. I have yet to see a single improvement in Windows, Office, or Skype that had any utility for the typical business user. I depend on my PC for my livelihood, and your updates and constant reinventing of the wheel have effectively subverted my ability to get work done. I never thought the day would come when I would rank Microsoft even lower than Adobe in terms of cost/customer satisfaction, but you have eclipsed even Adobe. As much as I admire and support what Bill and Melinda Gates have achieved philanthropically, I rue the day he left Microsoft.

:)

Maarike, Oct 22, 2018
  2. dorsetknob, Oct 22, 2018
  3. malware Win User
    New Skype Version Released

Although, not one of my favourite programs, Skype is considered a high priority software application. The latest 3.5.0.239 release, is now available for download and it fixes some major bugs:
    • bugfix: Links with invalid % encodings were executed
    • bugfix: Data execution protection may have crashed Skype
    • bugfix: Pressing escape did not end call
    • Security improvements to ensure it is no longer possible to shut down Skype from a web page
    DOWNLOAD

Source: Skype

malware, Oct 22, 2018
  4. DannibusX Win User

Microsoft to Acquire Skype for Over $8 billion

Microsoft wouldn't invest 8.5 billion in Skype unless they were acquiring the patents that come with the technology.

I don't think you'll see much happen to Skype after the acquisition other than Microsoft integrating the tech into their existing services, and possibly integrating it into Windows itself.

DannibusX, Oct 22, 2018
Thema:

1. Microsoft's butchery of Skype (and Windows!) - Similar Threads - Microsoft's butchery Skype

2. Microsoft Skype crashes when login in

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Skype crashes when login in: When I login to Microsoft, Skype that is. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-skype-crashes-when-login-in/0af7bbe5-7c08-4adf-856f-c314a2f6ddf0
  3. Microsoft Skype crashes when login in

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Skype crashes when login in: When I login to Microsoft, Skype that is. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-skype-crashes-when-login-in/0af7bbe5-7c08-4adf-856f-c314a2f6ddf0
  4. Combining Microsoft and Skype account

in Windows 10 Customization
    Combining Microsoft and Skype account: I just set up my new PC running Windows 10. It asked for my MS account or Skype name, I entered my Skype name. Now it often asks for my email address. I enter the email address associated with my MS account. I cannot go further, because I get the error message that the email...
  5. Skype/ Microsoft Store not working

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Skype/ Microsoft Store not working: Hello, Since the windows 10 update all of my drivers and my apps have been deleted. I tried downloading Skype to my cpu once it downloaded, I tried opening the app and I keep getting an error " unable to connect please check your internet connection...." I tried to...
  6. SKYPE NAME: Incorrect SKYPE name linked to Microsoft Personal Account

SKYPE NAME: Incorrect SKYPE name linked to Microsoft Personal Account: Hi, I have tried to connect via the WIN10 get help app and could not get a call-back or chat to a customer service rep today when I needed them. I have the following problem: 1. I have a HOME Microsoft account (O365 subscription) which is linked to (I must have linked...
  7. Microsoft account to use skype

Microsoft account to use skype: Hi, On Setptember 13th, I create a new Microsoft account to use Skype. It asked me my phone number, in which I received a code. Then I create the Skype account. In the next day, I tried to login using that account in Microsoft and it told me that it didnt recognized my...
  8. Microsoft is working on simplifying Skype experience

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is working on simplifying Skype experience: Microsoft in its latest blog post has announced that it is working on simplifying the skype experience based on the users’ feedback. The company had earlier announced that it would be updating users to a new Skype version 8 from the earlier version 7 since the company decided...
  9. Installation of non Microsoft Skype

Installation of non Microsoft Skype: A friend of mine is not pc savvy, a friend screwed up his skype. We have been trying to reinstall it but it keeps coming up with asking for his microsoft account which he has long forgotten. I even went 'down the tubes' to look at his pc. Bearing in mind he knows very...
  10. Microsoft Teams Will Replace Skype for Business

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Teams Will Replace Skype for Business: Microsoft confirmed this morning that it will replace Skype for Business with Microsoft Teams, as had been widely rumored. But it will still release a new Skype for Business on-premises server next year for those businesses not ready to move to the cloud. To be clear, only...