Windows 10: Microsoft's discontinued Media Center suite can now unofficially...

Discus and support Microsoft's discontinued Media Center suite can now unofficially... in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Windows Media Center was an entertainment system software that originally arrived on Windows XP. After XP, the media suite was subsequently included in... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by labeeman, Sep 7, 2015.

1. labeeman Win User

Microsoft's discontinued Media Center suite can now unofficially...

Source

:)

labeeman, Sep 7, 2015

2. Windows 10 and Media Center

Hello,

I currently have Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center. After seeing Microsoft's announcement about WMC discontinued, I was disgusted. Microsoft's apparent reasoning for it, there is not a wide enough user base. This might be a valid argument, if they actually
    payed attention to users. Instead, they disband the Media Center team and discontinue development of it. I for one will not be upgrading to Windows 10 because of this. Media Center is not just an app to play DVD's, it was, as the name implies, a Media Centre.
    A place, not just watch DVD's, as Microsoft put it, but a very customisable application to watch streamed media from media servers, such as Emby (formerly Media Browser).

If Microsoft really payed attention, they wouldn't need to discontinue it. Instead, through their ignorance and poor marketing of Media Center, blame it on the user base. It is your fault entirely Microsoft. Your marketing team need to be replaced. Listen
    to the thousands, maybe... millions of customers that use Media Center. There is a need for it, and through proper marketing and continued development, it could actually be a very strong feature for Windows 10.

Listen to your users, nobody else. Bring back Media Center, and don't replace it with a cheap, below-par DVD player app.

Daniel Arrowsmith, Sep 7, 2015
  3. WindowsOS Win User
    Regarding Windows Media center Software in Windows 10

No, Windows 10 does Not come with Windows Media Center. I believe it has been discontinued by Microsoft now.

WindowsOS, Sep 7, 2015
  4. Microsoft's discontinued Media Center suite can now unofficially...

I'm not an insider....I guess that makes me an Outsider. Eh?
    I've spent a bunch of $'s on my PC sound system and I do like to watch videos and play music once in a while.
    And when I do, I like for it to sound good.

So tonight I downloaded the latest version of VLC Player. Just like Windows Media Player, out of the box, (so to speak) it's pretty weak in the sound quality dept. But just like WMP, it has a sound equalizer and sound compressor that when properly set makes my PC sound system 'Rock the House'. Most of the sound of music comes from the center frequencies of the equalizer, so that's the way I set it.
    Tonight I played several mp3's and mp4's and I thought the sound quality was just fine. (after I adjusted the equalizer)
    Obviously, all the negative feedback about the sound quality on VLC, comes from those who don't have the knowledge of how to set up an equalizer. I'll bet their WMP didn't sound very good either. Eh?

So for those who want to play music and videos on Windows 10, give the VLC Player a look.

Cheers Mates!
    *Cool

TechnoMage, Sep 7, 2015
  5. Hi!
    Thanks for your post!

Tested without any sucsees! Error 5. Whatever it is?

Cluster Head, Sep 7, 2015
  6. Ninetailz Win User
    Ninetailz, Sep 7, 2015
  7. AIMP this is an audio player, extremely customizable with all the bells and whistles you will ever need. user since 2009.

lopedoggie, Sep 7, 2015
  8. Microsoft's discontinued Media Center suite can now unofficially...

Thanks Beeman, it works great. Quick and easy to install.

COMPUTIAC Guest, Sep 7, 2015
  9. Trust_No1 Win User
    I tried installing with no success, I am using VMPlayer I suppose that is what is causing the problems

Trust_No1, Sep 7, 2015
  10. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

For REMOTE audio use Logitech media server (Free) -- works on most smart TV's, those things like Google TV sticks etc (and mobile phones).

For those who appreciate GOOD audio --handles FLAC too.

Unless you are forced to use Terrestial TV only --who needs Windows Media center any more --many other alternatives - especially when streaming to remote devices.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Sep 7, 2015
  11. BillyBob Win User
    While I used to play a lot of stuff through WMC, I now use Kodi for movies, VLC for Videos and Groove for all my music in the cloud.

BillyBob, Sep 7, 2015
  12. Trust_No1 Win User
    I for one still need it. Our entire household is setup with it. You seem to think there are all of these alternatives for WMC, when that is not the case. It is the ONLY, let me repeat, the ONLY software that will play encrypted media at this time. Kodi, MediaBrowser (EMBY), MediaPortal, Plex, none of these do, with exception to Kodi, none of the others even support .vob files, the VIDEO.TS containers.

Yes, VLC, MPC play .vob files, but they are not media centers, nor are they a library software.

I wish everyone could get it through their heads, at the uniqueness of Windows Media Center, yes there are look alike's, but they simply do not do what WMC does. I wish those who don't even use it, would stop making generalized comments on it.

Trust_No1, Sep 7, 2015
  13. Microsoft's discontinued Media Center suite can now unofficially...

Sure does.

Microsoft's discontinued Media Center suite can now unofficially... [​IMG]

COMPUTIAC Guest, Sep 7, 2015
  14. Microsoft's discontinued Media Center suite can now unofficially... [​IMG]

SnarkyTwit, Sep 7, 2015
  15. Trust_No1 Win User
    perhaps I will try this on one of my laptops. No Media center for windows has been a major road block for me

Trust_No1, Sep 7, 2015
Thema:

Microsoft's discontinued Media Center suite can now unofficially...

1. Microsoft's discontinued Media Center suite can now unofficially... - Similar Threads - Microsoft's discontinued Media

2. questions about media center discontinued

in Windows 10 Gaming
    questions about media center discontinued: 1. if microsoft no longer ships media center with windows 10 and after, does MS still provide customer support for Windows 8.1 Media Center until jan 10 2023?2. Will extracting Media Center files from Win8 to Win 10/11 and setting compatibility mode for Windows 8 work?...
  3. questions about media center discontinued

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    questions about media center discontinued: 1. if microsoft no longer ships media center with windows 10 and after, does MS still provide customer support for Windows 8.1 Media Center until jan 10 2023?2. Will extracting Media Center files from Win8 to Win 10/11 and setting compatibility mode for Windows 8 work?...
  4. Media center 8.1

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Media center 8.1: Every time I close the media center I have to go through the set up every time I open it, dose anyone know how to fix this.Last time I went through the set up I only minimised it and let the pc go to sleep, when I oped it a few days later it was still working till I closed...
  5. Media center software

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Media center software: I did purchase windows media center software and installed on my xp version new gave new PC with windows 10 can I transfer to it media center software I already have purchase or need to buy new again ?...
  6. Media center

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Media center: Hi, upgraded my computer to window 10 pro but no longer able to get media center, used to play a slideshow of my best photo,s whilst listing to my music. can anyone recommend a replacement for this task. thank you regards...
  7. Microsoft To Do is now integrated with Microsoft 365 suite of apps

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft To Do is now integrated with Microsoft 365 suite of apps: Digital clutter is an ever-increasing challenge. It’s one of the reasons why modern life feels so busy and chaotic. Microsoft To Do is committed to providing a complete task management solution that keeps people at the center. To Do helps people focus on and keep...
  8. uninstall Cyberlink Media Suite 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    uninstall Cyberlink Media Suite 10: When I try to uninstall Cyber link Media Suite 10 in Programs and applications all that shows up in uninstall wizard is Cyberlink Power2go7. When I click to uninstall it says wizard has uninstalled but it still shows it is there an is using up 246 mb, How do I get rid of...
  9. Roku and media center

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Roku and media center: I would like to be able to access media center through roku https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/roku-and-media-center/b88851f0-56ef-41de-8ee8-015a756ab6b5
  10. Windows Media Center

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows Media Center: I've just tested and I was able to add Media Center to Windows 10 with my Windows 8 media center key *Party Although my desktop watermark now shows as Windows 8.1 with media center. 1963