Windows 10: Microsofts Ever Increasing Data Collection

Discus and support Microsofts Ever Increasing Data Collection in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Now I know I am probably fairly alone in this, but I truly hate data collection. Without going in to all the reasons why, which is slightly besides the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by davefaz, Jun 28, 2018.

1. davefaz Win User

Microsofts Ever Increasing Data Collection

Now I know I am probably fairly alone in this, but I truly hate data collection. Without going in to all the reasons why, which is slightly besides the point, I am perplexed by Microsoft's latest change in Windows10.
    Diagnostics and Feedack used to be configurable to off. Now you can't do that, best you can do is select Basic. You can, however, set a registry dword, AllowTelemetry, that greys out the selection, but I have noticed that it doesn't actually stop data collection. It just stops you choosing which type you want. Greyed out it may be, stopped it is not. Does anyone know how to completely stop it?

:)

davefaz, Jun 28, 2018

2. Microsoft to Introduce Telemetry Data Viewer for Windows

Remember all that talk and noise regarding Microsoft's "automagical" telemetry data collection, and how that spurred the company to create a "telemetry-less" version of its Windows 10 operating system for the Chinese market? It seems Microsoft is keen to keep giving users more information on exactly what information is gathered and when - slowly but assuredly striving for greater transparency, and looking to garner increased trust from consumers and enterprises alike.

The much awaited capability is being baked in to the next major Windows 10 release, and Microsoft is giving Windows Insiders an early preview of the Windows Diagnostic Data Viewer utility. Adding to this new utility are some changes to the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard that will enable users to see and manage more data associated with their Microsoft accounts. Available to everyone in the Microsoft Store, the Diagnostic Data Viewer is separate from the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard, and "allows you to see, search, and take action with your diagnostic data." It's not clear yet what sort of telemetry features users will be able to stop Microsoft from collecting, if any. However, at least now you'll be able to look at exactly which processes and services are collecting data form your system. The diagnostic data that will be viewable in the new utility follows.

Microsofts Ever Increasing Data Collection yDvisPRlBWJ8AKA6_thm.jpg

• Common Data, like the Operating System's name, the Version, Device ID, Device Class, Diagnostic level selection and so on.
    • Device Connectivity and Configuration such as device properties and capabilities, preferences and settings, peripherals, and device network information.
    • Product and Service Performance data that show device health, performance and reliability data, movie consumption functionality on the device and device file queries. It's important to note that this functionality is not intended to capture user viewing or, listening habits.
    • Product and Service Usage data includes details about the usage of the device, operating system, applications, and services.
    • Software Setup and Inventory such as installed applications and install history, device update information.
    Microsoft Privacy Dashboard
    Updates to the Microsoft Privacy Dashboard include a new Activity History page, which aims to provide a clear and easy to navigate way to see the data that is saved with users' Microsoft accounts. The Microsoft Privacy Dashboard further allows users to manage their data and change what data is collected by adjusting the privacy settings on their devices or browser at any time.

In the coming months, Microsoft will keep the slow roll-out of additional features that will allow users to:
    • View and manage media consumption data, as well as product and service activity on the Activity History page
    • Export for any of the data you see on the dashboard
    • Delete specific items to allow for greater individual control

Raevenlord, Jun 28, 2018
  3. Microsoft Solitaire Collection and Mahjong

Hi Roger,

The steps that you've taken are astounding. Our next option is to manually reset the
    Microsoft Solitaire Collection to clear the app's data which may cause the conflict. To do this, follow these steps:

• Type Apps & features in the search box and press Enter.
    • Locate and click Microsoft Solitaire Collection from the list of the apps.
    • Click the Advanced options link.
    • Click the Reset button.
    • Exit the apps window.

Once you're done, re-launch the application and check if you encounter the same error.

We'll appreciate if you can send us an update.

Darwin Dim, Jun 28, 2018
  4. Microsofts Ever Increasing Data Collection

Microsoft Solitarie Collection

Hi,

There could be some changes on your computer that affects the resolution of your screen when you play. For us to isolate your concern, we suggest that you provide us the answers to these questions:

• Were there any updates installed on your computer prior to the issue?
    • When did you start experiencing the issue?
    • Is it only happening with Microsoft Solitaire Collection?
    • What are the troubleshooting steps you've tried to resolve the concern?

We're looking forward to your response.

Carlos Tin, Jun 28, 2018
Thema:

Microsofts Ever Increasing Data Collection

1. Microsofts Ever Increasing Data Collection - Similar Threads - Microsofts Ever Increasing

2. Data related to Microsoft Solitaire Collection

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Data related to Microsoft Solitaire Collection: My laptop died. What should I get to play MSC? I was advised not to use my desktop computer if the data from MSC is stored on my computer. Anybody have an answer? I obviously am a novice....
  3. Syncing guest data to Microsoft account - Microsoft Solitaire Collection Data

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Syncing guest data to Microsoft account - Microsoft Solitaire Collection Data: I was unable to connect my system to the game services for a while so I played as a guest and advanced pretty far with coins\points\etc. Now that I am able to connect to the game services, my live account does not have my progress. However, if I login as a guest, I see all...
  4. Data consumed for update for no increase

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Data consumed for update for no increase: My laptop has consumed over 2 GB data. When I checked app wise consumption, this consumption came under the "system" section. My Feature update to Windows 10, version 1909 update has been pending and the status has been "Getting things ready - 0%" for over 2 days now. My...
  5. Increase The Card Size In Microsoft Solitaire Collection Game.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Increase The Card Size In Microsoft Solitaire Collection Game.: How do I make the cards appear larger in solitaire collection in Windows 10? ***Moved From: Windows 10/Desktop, Start, & personalization/General*** ***Changed Original Title From: solitaire card size in solitaire collection windows 10***...
  6. Microsoft increasing transparency and customer control over data

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft increasing transparency and customer control over data: [ATTACH] Today we are announcing new steps to give customers increased transparency and control over their data that is used by Microsoft’s major products. Privacy is one of the defining issues of our time. As technology becomes more engrained in our lives and our work,...
  7. Microsoft Solitaire collection cloud data gone

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Solitaire collection cloud data gone: Hello everyone, I play the daily challenges on the Microsoft Solitaire collection everyday and I have never encountered this problem before. I have completed every challenge for September and yesterday when I open the app on my Samsung tablet all my completed daily...
  8. Microsoft Solitaire Collection saved data not loading

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Solitaire Collection saved data not loading: I have two computers that I play on. Both computers load my profile, and show my statistics as being the same, same number of deals, scores, cumulative scores. However, on one computer, if I open Klondike, my cumulative score is much lower than the other computer. It won't...
  9. Microsoft Solitaire Collection saved data not loading

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft Solitaire Collection saved data not loading: I have two computers that I play on. Both computers load my profile, and show my statistics as being the same, same number of deals, scores, cumulative scores. However, on one computer, if I open Klondike, my cumulative score is much lower than the other computer. It won't...
  10. Microsoft Silently Renames Data Collection Service

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft Silently Renames Data Collection Service: Microsoft Silently Renames Data Collection Service in Windows 10, Causes More Confusion [img] The change was made in Threshold 2 update The Windows 10 service responsible for collecting data and error information has been renamed in Threshold 2, but given the...