Windows 10: Microsoft's policy for lost and forgotten passwords

Discus and support Microsoft's policy for lost and forgotten passwords in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; Article applies to: Microsoft Account, Office, Windows, Xbox, Microsoft Family Safety Article approved by Community Engagement team Introduction... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Nathan Roberts (SunkNath), May 28, 2019.

1. Microsoft's policy for lost and forgotten passwords

Article applies to: Microsoft Account, Office, Windows, Xbox, Microsoft Family Safety

Article approved by Community Engagement team

Introduction

Microsoft takes security seriously. It is for your protection. ​

This article outlines Microsoft's policy for lost and forgotten passwords and what you need to do if you forget your password. ​

Details

Please DO NOT ask the community for methods to bypass security methods adopted by Microsoft. The community are not allowed to provide you with instructions, videos, products or links to other sites that tell you how to bypass security methods. This goes for methods bypassing Family Safety settings too. ​

ANYONE who posts such information will have their post edited/removed and could be banned from this community. If someone has posted password cracking techniques or products on this community, please report them so the Abuse Moderators can handle it. ​

IMPORTANT: If yo are using your favourite search engine to search for these techniques yourself. You should go careful. Sites that claim they can crack passwords may not be able to. Software you download to break security methods may do more harm to your computer then good. If this does happen, Microsoft takes no responsibility for your actions or any damages occurred (Even if someone broke the rules and posted such links in this community). ​

What the community can do however, is give you instructions to reset your password.​

What do I do if I loose/forget my password

Microsoft has articles published on their support website that gives you information on how to reset your password. Links to these articles will be provided in this article for you to use. ​

Forgotten password for my Microsoft Account

Please use this form for lost/forgotten passwords for your Microsoft Account:​

If you have forgotten your security proofs, or no longer have access to them anymore, then you will need to use the link above still. When you get to the security proofs part, you will have to select "I no longer have these anymore" and fill out a form for the Microsoft Account team.​

You do need to provide as much information as possible. They will review the information you have provided and judge whether or not your the account holder. Any actions they take is not anything we can influence here. So please do not take it out on us, or others, when they refuse to provide a password reset link. ​

Forgotten Password for Local Account on Windows 10

Forgotten Password for Office and Office 365 business

Forgotten Password/Passkey for Xbox One Account

Forgotten Hardware BIOS Password

You need to contact your manufacturer for their help and support. The links need to be official links, and not third party. ​

:)

Nathan Roberts (SunkNath), May 28, 2019

2. Changing forgotten/lost administrator password

Hi,

"What to do if you forget your Windows 8/8.1 password"

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-do-forget-windows-password#1TC=windows-8

If you've forgotten your Windows password, there are several ways to retrieve or reset it:

• If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.
    • If you're using a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online. For more info,
      go to the
      Reset your password
      webpage.

• If you're using a local account, use your password hint as a reminder.
    If you've tried these suggestions and still can't sign in:

• If you have Windows 8.1, you'll need to reinstall Windows.
    • If you have Windows RT 8.1, you'll need to contact your PC manufacturer.
    @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Microsoft forbids any assistance being given in these Forums to help you bypass or "crack" lost or forgotten Passwords.

Here is the Microsoft Information outlining that Policy:

Keeping Passwords Secure- Microsoft Policy on Getting Around Passwords

Microsoft policy about lost or forgotten passwords

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/189126#bookmark-third

Cheers.

Bill Smithers, May 28, 2019
  3. Forgotten password

Hi,

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/what-do-forget-windows-password#1TC=windows-8

If you've forgotten your Windows password, there are several ways to retrieve or reset it:

• If your PC is on a domain, your system administrator must reset your password.
    • If you're using a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online. For more info, go to the

Reset your password
      webpage.

Microsoft forbids any assistance being given in these Forums to help you bypass or "crack" lost or forgotten Passwords.

Cheers.

4. Microsoft's policy for lost and forgotten passwords

Forgotten admin password

• If you're using a Microsoft account, you can reset your password online. For more info, go to the

Reset your password
      webpage.

Cheers.

Thema:

Microsoft's policy for lost and forgotten passwords

1. Microsoft's policy for lost and forgotten passwords - Similar Threads - Microsoft's policy lost

2. Forgotten microsoft password setup

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Forgotten microsoft password setup: Good day!I am having troubles with my forgotten password when my laptop was set up by my sister when she formatted the laptop that I was using today.I accidentally signed up her Microsoft account on my laptop last week and I cannot remove her account. It says now that her...
  3. Forgotten microsoft password setup

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Forgotten microsoft password setup: Good day!I am having troubles with my forgotten password when my laptop was set up by my sister when she formatted the laptop that I was using today.I accidentally signed up her Microsoft account on my laptop last week and I cannot remove her account. It says now that her...
  4. Forgotten microsoft password setup

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. local account password forgotten and password recovery drive lost

local account password forgotten and password recovery drive lost: I am using Windows 10 build 19044 and I had set up a local account in late 2020 with a windows hello PIN number and also a password 2 methods. I remember the pin code so can still access the computer. today I tried to change to a Microsoft account only to realize that i don't...
  6. local account password forgotten and password recovery drive lost

in Windows 10 Gaming
    local account password forgotten and password recovery drive lost: I am using Windows 10 build 19044 and I had set up a local account in late 2020 with a windows hello PIN number and also a password 2 methods. I remember the pin code so can still access the computer. today I tried to change to a Microsoft account only to realize that i don't...
  7. local account password forgotten and password recovery drive lost

8. Forgotten Password

Forgotten Password: Have a HP All-in-One with Windows 7 on it. Password forgotten. Answers to Questions to Reset Password also forgotten. Can anyone tell me how I can bypass this and reset the entry password?...
  9. Forgotten password

Forgotten password: Hello I need to reset my password, because I've forgotten it. Could you help me? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/forgotten-password/dd360b31-3793-4cb9-a9ce-c60e2179d50b
  10. Forgotten Password!!

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Forgotten Password!!: Hello folks!! It has been a while since I have been here. My days of providing advice are over, since a couple of strokes took care of them. This time would like to be at the recipient end, and ask for some help from the Windows10 team I consider the best. *Wink Have a...