Windows 10: Microsoft's Store is not a safe haven

Discus and support Microsoft's Store is not a safe haven in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Symantec discovered eight application in the official Microsoft Store that ran cryptomining operations without informing the user about it in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by GHacks, Feb 18, 2019.

1. GHacks
    GHacks New Member

Microsoft's Store is not a safe haven

Symantec discovered eight application in the official Microsoft Store that ran cryptomining operations without informing the user about it in the background when installed.

One of the main arguments for integrating the Microsoft Store in Windows 8 and Windows 10, unveiled in 2011 by Microsoft, was that it protected users from installing malicious or problematic applications on their devices because of a review process and other safeguards.

While it is certainly the case that Windows Store offers a safer environment, it is far from the safe haven that Microsoft would like it to be.

We talked about deceiving apps, copycat apps, and deceptive apps in the past, and covered Microsoft's attempts to improve quality by pruning low quality applications.

The introduction of PWA support appears to have opened the door for another type of unwanted software: cryptomining.

Microsoft's Store is not a safe haven microsoft-store-apps.png

Symantec discovered eight applications in Microsoft Store that started cryptomining operations as soon as they were installed and launched by users from the Microsoft Store.

The applications were published by three developers but there is strong evidence that a single person or group is responsible for all of them. Evidence comes from the use of the same mining key and Google Tag Manager key, and that all applications used the same origin (but different domains).

The apps were fairly popular, judging from the 1900 ratings that they received between publication in April 2018 and December 2018. It is certainly possible that part of the ratings came from fake accounts or services that rate apps in return for payment.

Microsoft does not reveal installation counts for applications; it is unclear if the applications landed on thousands, hundred of thousands, or even more devices running Windows 10.

Windows 10 users were exposed to these applications in various ways: when they searched for apps in the Store, browsed the free listings, or were directed to the Store from websites that linked to these applications.

The applications fetched a JavaScript mining library using Google Tag Manager when they were launched for the first time after download and installation. All applications included privacy policies but mining operations were not mentioned in any of them or the descriptions.

The applications used the majority of the computer's CPU cycles according to Symantec for mining operations.

Symantec informed Microsoft about the applications, and Microsoft has removed them in the meantime from the Store.

Closing Words

While it is certainly arguable that cryptocurrency mining is less harmful than a device's infection with malicious software or ransomware, it is clear that Microsoft Store users need to be careful when it comes to the installation of apps from the Store.

I recommended that users verify app developers before they install apps in 2013. Microsoft's Store is not the only Store that hosted cryptomining applications or extensions. The particular form of unwanted software was found in extension stores, e.g. in Mozilla's or Google's for the Firefox or Chrome browser, and on Google Play previously already.

Now You: do you use Store applications?

Ghacks needs you. You can find out how to support us here or support the site directly by becoming a Patreon. Thank you for being a Ghacks reader. The post Microsoft's Store is not a safe haven appeared first on gHacks Technology News.

read more...

GHacks, Feb 18, 2019
  2. sam02 Win User

App store and Microsoft account

Thank you for the advice

I see what you mean about the password but i think its a backward step to compromise my Microsoft password to to use the app store

sam02, Feb 18, 2019
  3. Microsoft Store

Hi James,

To resolve your concern about Windows Store, we suggest for you to follow these steps:

• Press Windows key + R key to open Run.
    • Type wsreset.exe and press
      Enter
    • Restart the PC, sign in with your Microsoft user account and check if you are able to find Windows Store.

Let us know how it goes.

PreciousLeb, Feb 18, 2019
  4. Microsoft's Store is not a safe haven

Microsoft Store is not working

Hi,

Thank you for responding.

Do let us know the exact issue you are facing in accessing the Windows Store?

Have you tried to reset the Windows Store as stated in the above response?

If the issue still persists after deploying the above troubleshooting steps, try the below and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to run Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter
    and check.

Windows Store Apps Troubleshooter, troubleshoots problems that may prevent Windows Store Apps from working correctly.

1. Press
    Windows + X keys from the keyboard, click on Control Panel.

2. In the
    Control Panel window, select Category and then select
    Large icons.

3. Click on
    Troubleshooting.

4. Click
    View all and then click Windows Store Apps.

5. Click
    Next and follow on-screen instructions.

Step 2: I suggest you to install all the pending updates on your device.

Steps:

• Connect to the internet.
    • Press Windows key and type
      updates.
    • Click on Check for updates.
    • Under Windows Updates, click on
      Check for updates.
    • Try to install the updates being shown.

Hope it helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of this for further assistance, we will be happy to help you.

Deepika Gowda, Feb 18, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft's Store is not a safe haven

1. Microsoft's Store is not a safe haven - Similar Threads - Microsoft's Store safe

2. Microsoft store

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Microsoft store: Hello! I’m having issues with the Microsoft store! When I go to re download a app I previously deleted it was I own this game, however I don’t , it is not in my apps. Microsoft store will not let me install it, can you please help?...
  3. Microsoft store

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Microsoft store: Hello! I’m having issues with the Microsoft store! When I go to re download a app I previously deleted it was I own this game, however I don’t , it is not in my apps. Microsoft store will not let me install it, can you please help?...
  4. Microsoft store.

Microsoft store.: Microsoft store Isn't on my PC After I Reset it and I tried looking it in settings it wasn't there and the installing with PowerShell admin did not work at all https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/microsoft-store/d545b549-fa7a-4d82-854f-89f7ff8468ee
  5. Microsoft store

Microsoft store: I used a windows debloater and it removed microsoft store, I now need microsoft store because I want to download the minecraft launcher to play minecraft. I've tried installing the launcher from a browser but it doesn't install without the store. I have already bought the...
  6. Microsoft store

Microsoft store: Hello, I am having a problem running the Microsoft Store game "Minecraft Launcher" I have just gotten a GTX 1050 TI 4GB to better run VR and wanted to play Vivecraft although when i try it says "You’re at the limit for the number of devices that can be used with games and...
  7. Microsoft Store

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Microsoft Store: Microsoft Store üzerinden bir uygulama yükleme istediğimde "Bizim Tarafımızdan Bir Sorun Oluştu" hatası almaktayım.Regeditten User Sid kaldırmayı,Saat-Takvim ayarlarını otomatiğe aldım. Bundan şüpheleniyorum ama otomatik olsa da aynı hata alıyorumCMD komutlarınıinternette...
  8. Microsoft Family Safe

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Microsoft Family Safe: When my kids run out of time for the day, they make a request for more time. When they attempt to send a request for more time, they get an error message that says that they aren't connected to the internet and the request failed. I know they have internet access because...
  9. Windows 10 and the Email after Update Gone to haven?

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows 10 and the Email after Update Gone to haven?: I have the latest Microsoft Operating System Windows 10 Installed.From the beginning I start after Shorten Update to use the Outlook.com Server in my Outlet Contact.Unfortunate since new update finish in next Bootup my Email Address just dissapear from system.Question: What...
  10. Store For Business Safe?

Store For Business Safe?: My Company are looking to adopt MS Store for business to acquire and distribute UWP Apps. For the on-line licensed App we need to trust the publisher and accept their push updates. What I don't know what background checks and scans are performed on the Apps made available...