Windows 10: Microsoft’s work on scrolling improvements for Chromium browsers advances

Discus and support Microsoft’s work on scrolling improvements for Chromium browsers advances in Windows 10 News to solve the problem; Microsoft is actively contributing to the Chromium open source project which powers Edge, Google Chrome and many other web browsers. Google Chrome... Discussion in 'Windows 10 News' started by WinLatest, Apr 20, 2019.

1. WinLatest New Member

Microsoft’s work on scrolling improvements for Chromium browsers advances

Microsoft is actively contributing to the Chromium open source project which powers Edge, Google Chrome and many other web browsers. Google Chrome comes with its own smooth scrolling functionality and Microsoft is now contributing in this area to further enhance the experience.

Earlier this year, Microsoft shared its thoughts on Chromium’s mouse behaviour and the company revealed that it plans to improve scrolling in Chromium browsers on Windows.

In Chromium browsers, scrolling by clicking on the scrollbar could appear to be janky when the main thread is busy. Microsoft plans to implement the classic Edge-like smooth scrolling to fix the janky movements in Chromium.

Currently, Chromium appears to handle scrollbar scrolling in the main thread and possible workaround to address the janky movements is to allow mouse event to happen elsewhere.

“This proposal is to move composited scrollbar scrolling to the impl thread so that even when the main thread is busy, users can continue to interact with and scroll using scrollbars,” writes Microsoft engineer.

Microsoft’s proposal will also address the high latency that is experienced when customers use a mouse to slide a page up and down from the scrollbar in Chrome.

“We observe on average scrollbar drags have ~2-4x higher latency in Chromium as compared to EdgeHTML today, worse on particularly busy sites,” the explanation reads.

“By avoiding the main thread in Chromium as well, we believe we can bring the performance of scrollbar drags more in line with what we observe in EdgeHTML,” explains a Microsoft engineer.

This could mean that even when the main thread is busy, users should be able to scroll using scrollbars without experiencing degraded performance.

Work on smooth scrolling advances

It looks like a part of work done by Microsoft engineers has been accepted by the Chromium community. A new commit reveals that code has been merged into Chromium and Canary builds.

“This CL enables fast scrollers to scroll on the compositor thread when a user clicks on any of the arrows on a composited root scrollbar,” explains a Microsoft engineer.

A flag titled ‘”Enable Compositor threaded scrollbar scrolling” is also live, but it may not work properly at the moment.

Microsoft’s work on scrolling improvements for Chromium browsers advances Chromium-scrollbar-scrolling.jpg

“Enables pointer-based scrollbar scrolling on the compositor thread instead of the main thread – Mac, Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android,” the description of flag reads.

It’s worth noting that the flag is also live in Microsoft Edge Canary and you can find the option in flags menu.

Microsoft’s work on scrolling improvements for Chromium browsers advances Edge-scrollbar-scrolling.jpg

Microsoft has also shared a detailed description of compositor threaded scrollbar scrolling:

“When a mousedown arrives at the renderer, it gets hit tested. If a composited scrollbar was hit, the MouseEvent gets dropped and a GestureScrollBegin and a GestureScrollUpdate get added to the CompositorThreadEventQueue. These gesture scroll events contain scroll deltas based on which scrollbar part was hit (arrows for now). On a mouseup, a GestureScrollEnd is added to the queue. They are then dispatched (as Gesture events) in a VSync aligned manner,” the description of the functionality reads.

Another commit, which hasn’t been merged yet, revealed that Microsoft is also working on other parts of the scrolling improvements.

The post Microsoft’s work on scrolling improvements for Chromium browsers advances appeared first on Windows Latest

Weiterlesen...

WinLatest, Apr 20, 2019
  2. Lentha Q Win User

Cannot uninstall Chromium browser at all on Windows 10.

SusanMaryElizabeth;

followed the steps you have posted here and was doin' great until the very last step. opened my C: drive but no Chromium folder listed. any other suggestions? really want Chromium off my system as it's a pain in the butt!!!!

thanks for your assistance,

lentha

Lentha Q, Apr 20, 2019
  3. Jsssssssss, Apr 20, 2019
  4. Microsoft’s work on scrolling improvements for Chromium browsers advances

Chromium as default browser windows 10

Why can't I select Chromium (not Chrome) as my default browser in windows 10? I use Chromium almost exclusively. It works perfectly except that I can not make it the default browser. The settings menu for default apps does not list Chromium among the
    browser options.

carl---1948, Apr 20, 2019
Thema:

Microsoft’s work on scrolling improvements for Chromium browsers advances

1. Microsoft’s work on scrolling improvements for Chromium browsers advances - Similar Threads - Microsoft’s scrolling improvements

2. Scrolling Stutter on Chromium-based Browsers

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Scrolling Stutter on Chromium-based Browsers: Hello Y'all. I have an annoying problem these days with my PC. Whenever I try to scrolling the page on chromium-based browsers, (Chrome, Opera, Edge Chromium doesn't matter) it stutters. This happens especially when I'm playing 1080P 60FPS videos or livestreams on Youtube and...
  3. Performance Scrolling improvements in Microsoft Edge browser

in Windows 10 News
    Performance Scrolling improvements in Microsoft Edge browser: [ATTACH]Scrolling is one of the most used features on any browser, and Microsoft is rolling out scrolling improvements in Edge. The primary goal is to […] This article Performance Scrolling improvements in Microsoft Edge browser first appeared on TheWindowsClub.com. read...
  4. chromium browser

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    chromium browser: i have uninstalled it its not showing in program list. Also in Appdata/local there is no chromium folder tried malware bytes and cc cleaner . no where its listing but while using open with for some pdf files its listing there how can i remove chromium from that...
  5. Improving form controls in Microsoft Edge and Chromium.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Improving form controls in Microsoft Edge and Chromium.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/Leopeva64-2 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/di9zkg/improving_form_controls_in_microsoft_edge_and/
  6. Microsoft improving form controls in Microsoft Edge and Chromium

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft improving form controls in Microsoft Edge and Chromium: Since we began work on the next version of Microsoft Edge based on Chromium, we’ve been investigating ways to modernize form controls to provide a modern appearance as well as the touch friendliness and accessibility that our users expect from Microsoft Edge today. Over the...
  7. Microsoft could improve Chromium touchpad scrolling on Windows 10

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft could improve Chromium touchpad scrolling on Windows 10: In a new proposal, Microsoft has shared a solution to improve Chromium’s touchpad-based scrolling. Microsoft wants to bring Windows 10’s touch-initiated fling animation to fix the slow movements when scrolling using two-fingers touchpad gesture. The bug post ‘Fling curve on...
  8. Microsoft makes more progress in scrolling improvements for Chromium

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft makes more progress in scrolling improvements for Chromium: Microsoft has confirmed multiple times that it’ll bring smooth scrolling to Chromium-based browsers, including Google Chrome. Microsoft is very keen on delivering on this promise, as the work on the project has advanced in the past few days and another new feature has been...
  9. Chromium Edge for Windows 10 to come with scrolling, media improvements

in Windows 10 News
    Chromium Edge for Windows 10 to come with scrolling, media improvements: Yesterday, Microsoft released Chromium-powered Edge browser for Windows 10. As Microsoft has switched the Edge browser base to Chromium which also powers Chrome, the browser has some of the Chrome features. Microsoft’s Chromium Edge will continue to evolve and the final...
  10. Chromium Browser

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Chromium Browser: Why am I getting periodically an obnoxious pop up program that tries to get me to install a browser called Chromium? Can I stop this somehow?...