Windows 10: MIDI Keyboards and Windows 10

Discus and support MIDI Keyboards and Windows 10 in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi, I'm running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Yoga 920. Disclaimer: I am no computer Guru, but I can read and follow instructions, so here's the story:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by KChae17, Sep 28, 2018.

1. KChae17 Win User

MIDI Keyboards and Windows 10

Hi, I'm running Windows 10 on a Lenovo Yoga 920.

Disclaimer: I am no computer Guru, but I can read and follow instructions, so here's the story:

I've recently gotten more into composing and making music, and decided to purchase a MIDI keyboard. The keyboard I got is a simple MIDIPLUS AKM320 keyboard. It was a cheap one on Amazon that I thought would be a great first purchase to try something new. The keyboard says it requires no drivers, and should be plug-and-play and compatible with Windows or iOS. However, when I plug it in, windows registers only for a brief second that I have a USB device connected, and then it disappears. If I go to device manager, I can find it with the yellow triangle error symbol next to it. It says: "Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed)."

I have tried updating the drivers with Windows, and it says the latest/recommended drivers are installed. I have also tried downloading drivers from the manufacturer, but they seem to be outdated (for previous versions of Windows) so I tried running them in compatibility mode, but that didn't work either. I've tried a dozen forum suggested fixes, but nothing has worked. This alone is a little bit discouraging, but I decided I had probably just bought a cheap MIDI Keyboard that wasn't actually compatible with Windows 10.

Then, I started doing some research, thinking I'd buy a better one, but that I had better find out whether it was Windows 10 compatible or not. Here's where the frustration really started; Every single MIDI Keyboard I found had reported issues with Windows 10 not recognizing the USB device. It appears that plug-and-play devices should be automatically assigned generic Windows MIDI drivers, but nothing happens. Then, when the correct drivers ARE installed, Windows will not assign the drivers to the device or the drivers will not run on Windows 10, or in compatibility modes. This might be because MIDI Keyboards are not making drivers for Windows 10, but isn't that the point of plug-and-play? Shouldn't the latest version of Windows run a MIDI keyboard EASILY?

So now I have 3 questions:

1. Has anyone run into this issue and actually fixed it?

2. Can anyone explain to me in more detail what exactly is going on with Windows and MIDI Controller Devices?

3. Do any of you use a MIDI Controller with Windows 10, and if so what have you found that actually works. I don't want to buy a new one only to have the same problem.

Thanks!

:)

KChae17, Sep 28, 2018

2. MIDI KEYBOARD NOT DETECTED BY PIANOMARVEL INSTRUCTION SITE

• Have you already checked if the device shows in the Device Manager?
    Yes. Just checked and both MIDI keyboards are listed.

• Have you tried testing the device to a different PC and the same issue occurs?
    Yes....I just hooked up a Dell Pro Windows 10 laptop purchased late last year. 00325-80685-21181-AAOEM. I plugged in the AKM320 MIDI keyboard - (no drivers needed) The system sounded but did not show the AKM320 in Device Manager. I did the same with the
    ACORN Masterkey 49 with the same results. I did open the Piano Marvel site and try to get a recognition of either keyboard, and non were even listed. They did list on my main computer, but did not light up the site indicator for a MIDI signal being received
    as already reported.

Also: I activated a Windows 7 computer here and plugged in the AKM320 MIDI. The device appeared in "game controllers" I installed another DAW in that computer- Cake Walk and was able to get the computer and DAW to read my signals from the AKM keypad. I
    went to the Piano Marvel site but the same outcome occurred- the site did not read my signals from the MIDI key board.

• Are you getting any error messages when connecting the device to your PC?
    When I turn on both piano MIDI keyboards without the DAW running, no error or notice appears--but a connection sound does occur. However when I turn on either keyboard
    while the DAW is running, I get a notice that a MIDI device has been added.

• What build and version of Windows 10 are you using?
    2017 Windows 10. I do have an ID number...****************- installed in 2016

I really appreciate your interest in this issue and am glad to check any other areas for you. I have tried everything with no success. One bit of info....There are two programs I've tried to use both of which have a midi keyboard detection in their programs.
    http://www.sightreadingpractice.com and Piano Marvel both do not read my midi keyboards. (But my DAW reads both and plays notes) Also a program called MIDI OX was installed by Piano Marvel's tech and the program detected both MIDI's. I am glad to pay for
    any consult should it become necessary.

Thanks again,

MTM

***Personal information deleted by the moderator. Please see the Microsoft Community Frequently Asked Questions for
    more information on how you can protect your privacy.***

MikeMalsbary, Sep 28, 2018
  3. GHantke Win User
    Windows 10 Midi Keyboard not working

I'm having the exact same problem as Mike but with slightly different software and MIDI keyboard. I'm using Ableton Live 9.5 and a keyboard made by Novation, who explicitly claim that this product line is compatible with Windows 10 (http://us.novationmusic.com/answerbase/windows-10-compatibility).
    Ableton also claims full compatibility with Windows 10. For reference, NI Reaktor 5 running in standalone mode would accept MIDI from the Novation keyboard, but not Ableton. On the other hand, a MIDI utility I use called Bome's gave me error messages when
    I tried to point it to the MIDI keyboard as well as other virtual MIDI ports created by software used for routing MIDI signals between different programs. My system also seems to be up to date. I've downgraded back to Win7 for now, but what should I try next
    time I run the upgrade? Thanks,

Garret

GHantke, Sep 28, 2018
  4. Teemu_S Win User

Windows 10 Midi Keyboard not working

I have this exactly same problem with the same device.

With my Windows 7 computer there were never problems but with Windows 10, the MIDI keyboard works a few moments and after that I have to disable&enable the device from the Device Manager or reconnect the device cable. This is very annoying. At the same time,
    my other MIDI keyboard works perfectly even with Windows 10.

Teemu_S, Sep 28, 2018
Thema:

1. MIDI Keyboards and Windows 10 - Similar Threads - MIDI Keyboards

2. Issues with Xbox One Elite Controller and MIDI Keyboards Not Being Recognized on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Issues with Xbox One Elite Controller and MIDI Keyboards Not Being Recognized on Windows 11: I am encountering issues with my Xbox One Elite controller and a couple of MIDI keyboards when connecting them to my PC running Windows 11. Despite the controller being listed under "Other Devices" in Device Manager, it is not recognized by the Xbox Accessories app,...
  3. Issues with Xbox One Elite Controller and MIDI Keyboards Not Being Recognized on Windows 11

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with Xbox One Elite Controller and MIDI Keyboards Not Being Recognized on Windows 11: I am encountering issues with my Xbox One Elite controller and a couple of MIDI keyboards when connecting them to my PC running Windows 11. Despite the controller being listed under "Other Devices" in Device Manager, it is not recognized by the Xbox Accessories app,...
  4. PCR-M80 midi keyboard controller

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    PCR-M80 midi keyboard controller: Hi, I have never installed a driver in my new PC and I need PCR M80 driver for my midi keyboard controloller https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pcr-m80-midi-keyboard-controller/970e7101-4c84-4aed-8858-12261cbb3a88
  5. PCR-M80 midi keyboard controller

in Windows 10 Gaming
    PCR-M80 midi keyboard controller: Hi, I have never installed a driver in my new PC and I need PCR M80 driver for my midi keyboard controloller https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pcr-m80-midi-keyboard-controller/970e7101-4c84-4aed-8858-12261cbb3a88
  6. PCR-M80 midi keyboard controller

7. I have a Casio WK3000 keyboard and MIDI in/out to USB cable....Not recognized in computer...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    I have a Casio WK3000 keyboard and MIDI in/out to USB cable....Not recognized in computer...: I don't see any indication that my comp. has recognized the keyboard, nor are either green light on the cable lit up.What should I do next to install the keyboard, and is there a good free studio program?...
  8. I have a Casio WK3000 keyboard and MIDI in/out to USB cable....Not recognized in computer...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have a Casio WK3000 keyboard and MIDI in/out to USB cable....Not recognized in computer...: I don't see any indication that my comp. has recognized the keyboard, nor are either green light on the cable lit up.What should I do next to install the keyboard, and is there a good free studio program?...
  9. I have a Casio WK3000 keyboard and MIDI in/out to USB cable....Not recognized in computer...

10. MIDI Keyboard recognized, but input is not going through.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MIDI Keyboard recognized, but input is not going through.: I have a midi-usb cable. MIDI is plugged in and out of the keyboard, and into the computer. My laptop recognizes the keyboard, but does not have any input when I play. Everything is on. I use cakewalk by bandlab, and my laptop is relatively new. Of course, inputs are checked...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. generic usb midi driver windows 10