Windows 10: .mig files

Discus and support .mig files in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; How to I open .mig files stored on a CD that are from my old computer?... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by KatMcDaniel1, Apr 24, 2019.

1. .mig files

How to I open .mig files stored on a CD that are from my old computer?

:)

KatMcDaniel1, Apr 24, 2019

2. Restoring a Windows Easy Transfer .mig file to Windows 10

Hi,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Community. I understand the inconvenience you faced. I will certainly help you with this.

Restoring a .MIG file using Windows Easy Transfer won’t work from an x64 to an x86 Operating system.

Download USMT4 MigRecover Utility
    here
    and follow the below steps:

• Download the MigRecover Utility for USMT4 from one of the links above
    • Extract the downloaded archive to a desired location
    • Start by renaming the .MIG file to SaveData.MIG
    • Create a destination folder for the extracted “raw” files
    • Open an elevated command prompt (right-click – Run as Administrator)
    • Browse to the desired folder location containing “MigRecover.exe”
    • Type the following command: MigRecover.exe [.MIG file location] [Destination folder].

As Easy Transfer is not available in Windows 10, I suggest you to try recovering your files from Windows.old folder. As upgrading from Windows create a Windows.old folder in the drive where operating system resides.

I suggest you to refer to the below given Windows article and check if it helps:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows-10/windows-easy-transfer-is-not-available-in-windows-10

Refer to the suggestions provided by Andre Da Costa June 19, 2015 in the following link:

How to manually backup and restore your files

Hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to reply in case you face any other issues with Windows in future.

Thank you.

Deepak..Raghav, Apr 24, 2019
  3. rajivma Win User
    Trying to restore backup (.MIG file) in Windows 10

Didn't realize that .MIG files created by Easy Transfer in Widows 7 won't be usable in Windows 10, and I am stuck.

Can't restore anything from my old laptop, since I did a fresh install. And in turn was necessitated because Windows 10 refused to install as an upgrade over Windows 7. Kept crashing with a message "Something went wrong, please run setup.exe again".

And now this .MIG file problem, what a bummer indeed. And zinstall does not work on .MIG files. Any suggestions?

rajivma, Apr 24, 2019
  4. DGrac1 Win User

.mig files

MIG file problem

How do I open/view MIG files created by Windows 7 when I currently have Windows 10 on my desktop? Information was lost when Windows 10 was updated onto my desktop and I want to see if I can restore some of the data by looking at and/or copying the data
    from the Windows 7 .MIG files.

DGrac1, Apr 24, 2019
Thema:

.mig files

1. .mig files - Similar Threads - mig files

2. How to extract/restore .mig file ON WINDOWS 10?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to extract/restore .mig file ON WINDOWS 10?: I recently had to backup my failing internal hdd with windows 10 to a WD external hdd. I only backed up my personal files like pictures and videos. The backup was compressed into a .mig file called USMT.MIG. Idk How to extract/restore the .mig file with my data onto my new...
  3. How to extract/restore .mig file ON WINDOWS 10?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How to extract/restore .mig file ON WINDOWS 10?: I recently had to backup my failing internal hdd with windows 10 to a WD external hdd. I only backed up my personal files like pictures and videos. The backup was compressed into a .mig file called USMT.MIG. Idk How to extract/restore the .mig file with my data onto my new...
  4. How to extract/restore .mig file ON WINDOWS 10?

in Windows 10 Gaming
  5. Unable to recover some files from USB backup - seems to be USMT and mig files involved

Unable to recover some files from USB backup - seems to be USMT and mig files involved: Hi, My computer wasn't working so the only option left was to perform a system restore by backing up the files/apps/settings to a USB drive and resetting Windows. Once this backup/resetting process was complete, when I logged back a bunch of files weren't repopulated back and...
  6. Unable to recover some files from USB backup - seems to be USMT and mig files involved

Unable to recover some files from USB backup - seems to be USMT and mig files involved: Hi, My computer wasn't working so the only option left was to perform a system restore by backing up the files/apps/settings to a USB drive and resetting Windows. Once this backup/resetting process was complete, when I logged back a bunch of files weren't repopulated back and...
  7. Unable to recover some files from USB backup - seems to be USMT and mig files involved

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. Downloading MIG Files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Downloading MIG Files: Hello! I was forced to reset my PC, and the backup files are in .mig format. However, when I try to use PCmover, it seems to only be able to open .pcv files. Is there anything I can do to get my files?...
  9. Downloading MIG Files

Downloading MIG Files: Hello! I was forced to reset my PC, and the backup files are in .mig format. However, when I try to use PCmover, it seems to only be able to open .pcv files. Is there anything I can do to get my files?...
  10. Downloading MIG Files