Windows 10: Migrate Settings, Programs, Files to another user

Discus and support Migrate Settings, Programs, Files to another user in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Is it possible to migrate settings, programs and files to another user in Windows 10 Pro? Or... Is it possible to just change the user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by keith76, Aug 27, 2015.

1. keith76 Win User

Migrate Settings, Programs, Files to another user

Hi,

Is it possible to migrate settings, programs and files to another user in Windows 10 Pro?

Or...

Is it possible to just change the user accounts name, email address etc without having to migrate anything?

If so, how?

Thanks.

:)

keith76, Aug 27, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

How can I migrate files, settings and programs from a computer running Win 10 Pro to a new PC?

TL;DR

To migrate files: 1) copy the files from computer A to a USB drive; 2) copy the files from the USB drive to computer B. This works for user files (documents, music, pictures, etc.)

Settings and programs cannot be migrated from one computer to another. EXCEPTION: If you used a Microsoft account on computer A
    and you enabled the sync settings features on computer A, you can sign into the same Microsoft account on computer B and all your synced settings
    for that user account will migrate to computer B.

BulldogXX, Aug 27, 2015
  3. Mohan B P Win User
    Moving files & programs from a Windows 10 PC to New PC running Windows 10

Hi Robert,

I realize that you are trying to move files and programs from a Windows 10 PC to another Windows 10 PC, let me assist you.

The simpler way to move files is to copy the files from one PC to another PC using USB device or other external storage devices. But, settings and programs cannot be migrated from one computer to another.

However, If you are using a Microsoft account in one Windows 10 PC and enabled the sync settings features on, then you can sign into the same Microsoft account on the other computer and all your synced settings for that user account will migrate
    to the other computer.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us for further assistance on Windows. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan B P, Aug 27, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

Any files & programs will already be available to any user. As for settings, they are user specific. You are better off using a local account. Now if the person already has a Microsoft Live account, their roaming profile will load when they log into the machine.

bro67, Aug 27, 2015
Thema:

1. Migrate Settings, Programs, Files to another user - Similar Threads - Migrate Settings Programs

2. Migration of files / settings / applications

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migration of files / settings / applications: I have an old Windows 10 desktop in which the motherboard failed. I went out and purchased a new computer with Windows 11. I have the old M.2 hard drive with files / settings / applications but no way to do any backups as I no longer have the old computer. Is there a way to...
  3. Migration of files / settings / applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migration of files / settings / applications: I have an old Windows 10 desktop in which the motherboard failed. I went out and purchased a new computer with Windows 11. I have the old M.2 hard drive with files / settings / applications but no way to do any backups as I no longer have the old computer. Is there a way to...
  4. Program crashes on one user but not another.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Program crashes on one user but not another.: Hello. I am making this post in a desperate manor. I have a client here using Act! as a program. I sat on their support for 4 hours on 2 separate occasions with no solution to be found. Every time I try to launch and use program, it crashes on me. But, if I use a different...
  5. File is open in another program

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File is open in another program: I share a folder on my network with firetv. I use it to watch movies on a tv. If I watch a movie then in fire TV close the app I used to watch it. Then using my new upgraded win10 computer I can't move or delete that movie I watched says File is open in another program I...
  6. File is open in another program

in Windows 10 Support
    File is open in another program: I share a folder on my network with firetv. I use it to watch movies on a tv. If I watch a movie then in fire TV close the app I used to watch it. Then using my new upgraded win10 computer I can't move or delete that movie I watched says File is open in another program I...
  7. Setting up another user file under Local Disk C/ Users

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Setting up another user file under Local Disk C/ Users: I have setup my wife as a family member. How does one setup a folder for her in Local Disk C/ Users? I have tried simply adding a file but it is not as secure as my folder. I say this as when linking to another computer I see Default and Public and the added folder but not...
  8. File permissions for another user

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    File permissions for another user: The situation is this; the pc administrator has financial folders and files that she has full permission to access, write, change, delete, backup etc. there is another user whom she needs to give permission to access the folder and files but with read only permission. How...
  9. File permissions for another user

in Windows 10 Support
    File permissions for another user: The situation is this; the pc administrator has financial folders and files that she has full permission to access, write, change, delete, backup etc. there is another user whom she needs to give permission to access the folder and files but with read only permission. How...
  10. program migration

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    program migration: is there someway to move a Microsoft program from one win 10 pc to another win 10 pc? have a program I need but cannot find the cd and its not made anymore. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-migration/f83713ce-4f58-4c56-9ec6-6be3efa53b46"