Windows 10: Migrate Settings, Programs, Files to another user

Discus and support Migrate Settings, Programs, Files to another user in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, Is it possible to migrate settings, programs and files to another user in Windows 10 Pro? Or... Is it possible to just change the user... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by keith76, Aug 27, 2015.

1. keith76 Win User

Migrate Settings, Programs, Files to another user

Hi,

Is it possible to migrate settings, programs and files to another user in Windows 10 Pro?

Or...

Is it possible to just change the user accounts name, email address etc without having to migrate anything?

If so, how?

Thanks.

:)

keith76, Aug 27, 2015
  2. BulldogXX Win User

How can I migrate files, settings and programs from a computer running Win 10 Pro to a new PC?

TL;DR

To migrate files: 1) copy the files from computer A to a USB drive; 2) copy the files from the USB drive to computer B. This works for user files (documents, music, pictures, etc.)

Settings and programs cannot be migrated from one computer to another. EXCEPTION: If you used a Microsoft account on computer A
    and you enabled the sync settings features on computer A, you can sign into the same Microsoft account on computer B and all your synced settings
    for that user account will migrate to computer B.

BulldogXX, Aug 27, 2015
  3. Mohan B P Win User
    Moving files & programs from a Windows 10 PC to New PC running Windows 10

Hi Robert,

I realize that you are trying to move files and programs from a Windows 10 PC to another Windows 10 PC, let me assist you.

The simpler way to move files is to copy the files from one PC to another PC using USB device or other external storage devices. But, settings and programs cannot be migrated from one computer to another.

However, If you are using a Microsoft account in one Windows 10 PC and enabled the sync settings features on, then you can sign into the same Microsoft account on the other computer and all your synced settings for that user account will migrate
    to the other computer.

Hope the information helps. Kindly write back to us for further assistance on Windows. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank you.

Mohan B P, Aug 27, 2015
  4. bro67 Win User

Any files & programs will already be available to any user. As for settings, they are user specific. You are better off using a local account. Now if the person already has a Microsoft Live account, their roaming profile will load when they log into the machine.

bro67, Aug 27, 2015
Thema:

1. Migrate Settings, Programs, Files to another user - Similar Threads - Migrate Settings Programs

2. Migrating Users to 10

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrating Users to 10: Because my old Hard drive crapped out, I've had to upgrade to windows 10. Every member of my family has their own log in. How can I migrate the data from their old profile to the new system?...
  3. program migration

program migration: is there someway to move a Microsoft program from one win 10 pc to another win 10 pc? have a program I need but cannot find the cd and its not made anymore. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/program-migration/f83713ce-4f58-4c56-9ec6-6be3efa53b46"
  4. User profile migration – migrate user accounts - UPDATE

in Windows 10 Customization
    User profile migration – migrate user accounts - UPDATE: Summary: Originally The below post was posted by Johan Ole Svensson as the result of an internal Survey on his part. Sadly he made the mistake to just point to the excellent answer over at "Experts Exchange" but "Experts Exchange" have shut down access for users without a...
  5. Windows User migration (and data migration!) from one OS to another, but also from one...

Windows User migration (and data migration!) from one OS to another, but also from one...: We are on the verge of moving over appr. 100 colleagues from a newly acquired company. The users on the old 2012 Domain are running a mix of Windows 7, 8 and 10 and Office 2013 and 2016, with their data stored locally on their PC’s. Our own 2016 Domain is setup with Office...
  6. file migration

file migration: Intermediate level tech capabilities. Looking for easiest way to move data, settings, a few programs from one laptop to another both Windows 10 based systems. Looked at PCMover software site. Thanks....
  7. Another program is currently using this file

Another program is currently using this file: I keep getting this message [ATTACH] It has only started appearing today. I don't have Skype and cannot find the directories mentioned https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/another-program-is-currently-using-this-file/4c4f584a-cacb-4e28-ac0b-570d313656fc
  8. Another program is currently using this file

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Another program is currently using this file: I get this error message below regards a Dell Support app that loads at start up; in fact, get the pop up twice. If I run Dell's Support Assist from start menu, it runs fine. I don't see Dell Support in Start menu. Annoyingly I got similar message for different graphics app...
  9. Set up user account profile to be readable by another user?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Set up user account profile to be readable by another user?: My goal is to set up permissions on a user account profile to be readable by another user. I'm setting up such scheme for an automated backup purpose. So, say I have two standard user accounts -- User A that is a general user of the system, whose data will be backed up:...
  10. Migrate all Drivers and settings to another install of windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrate all Drivers and settings to another install of windows 10: I have windows 10 installed on another partition is there anyway to move all the Drivers and settings etc to this new install from an old install of windows 10 89496