Windows 10: Migrate the OS to a USB drive and use it for a boot device

Discus and support Migrate the OS to a USB drive and use it for a boot device in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I've got an Dell Inspiron 3000 series laptop. It has a 32 gb SSD drive and that's it. It doesn't have the capability to expand/add a hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by RBC12, Sep 17, 2018.

1. RBC12 Win User

Migrate the OS to a USB drive and use it for a boot device

Hello,

I've got an Dell Inspiron 3000 series laptop. It has a 32 gb SSD drive and that's it. It doesn't have the capability to expand/add a hard drive. I bought initially just to do light Office work on the road and didn't think the drive size would be an issue since I would be using the cloud for storage. Then came the updates to the OS. It's almost unusable now. I wanted to migrate the OS to a larger thumb drive or external drive and boot the OS from there. Is that possible and if so, how do I do it?

Dell Inspiron model 14-3452

32GB SSD

2GB RAM

OS - Windows 10 Home

Thanks,

RBC

:)

RBC12, Sep 17, 2018
  2. panchoman Win User

Boot linux on USB drive

it might just be that your bios doesn't support it, but it should anyway.

make sure you go into the bios and make sure "boot other device" is enabled and try seeing if the usb is listed as an hdd.. as bootable flash drives are usually picked up as usb hdd's and check if your bios detects the flash drive.

panchoman, Sep 17, 2018
  3. USB Drive showing "Not Migrated" in Device manager

Forgot this one on the list, my bad

Yes, I have tried the steps above and it did not resolve the issue.

My pen drive is still showing "not migrated"

Any further help would be appreciated, thanks!

Matthew 'DoubleRainbow'Walker, Sep 17, 2018
  4. Lazzer408 Win User

Booting from USB on x38 Motherboard, NOT?

Typically the USB should be listed under the hard drive boot order. Set your "Boot Device Priority" to HDD first, then set the hard drive boot order to the USB stick first.

Migrate the OS to a USB drive and use it for a boot device bios_asus-jpg.jpg

Lazzer408, Sep 17, 2018
Thema:

1. Migrate the OS to a USB drive and use it for a boot device - Similar Threads - Migrate USB drive

2. Migration os

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migration os: I cloned the os of my laptop on my ssd but i donot kow how to boot from my ssd not from my old hdd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migration-os/88321ba8-0e8e-4b75-a2a9-314395227da2
  3. Migration os

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migration os: I cloned the os of my laptop on my ssd but i donot kow how to boot from my ssd not from my old hdd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migration-os/88321ba8-0e8e-4b75-a2a9-314395227da2
  4. Computer won't boot after migrating the OS to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer won't boot after migrating the OS to a new hard drive: When I bought my desktop, quite a while ago now, I tried to spec it to be future-proof, except for some reason I only got a 256G C: drive. So, after being annoyed for quite a while with not having enough space I cloned it today. I followed the steps in this article, except I...
  5. External USB Hard Drive "Device not Migrated"

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External USB Hard Drive "Device not Migrated": Hi I have an external hard disk 4TB in a new external hard drive enclosure which cannot be recognised. I get the Device not Migrated message in Device Manager events tab. Device USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_TO_Exter&Prod_nal_USB_3.0&Rev_0104\2015033100081&0 was not migrated due to...
  6. Migrating OS to new Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating OS to new Hard Drive: Okay, I think I need some help. I am trying to move my OS from a SSD that runs on SATA to a PCIe NVMe SSD. My motherboard has a native NVMe slot so I was able to plug it in no problem. I can get a reading on the hard drive itself and I made a complete copy of it using...
  7. OS Migration

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    OS Migration: I have a PC that has become very slow at booting up. Sometimes it takes so long to be ready to use, I have to re-boot it again in order for it so be useable at all. It has 2 x 1TB HDDs in it & the one with the OS on it is at about 95% full. So I guess that this cold be the...
  8. os migration

os migration: hi I have a gaming pc with 3 ssd slots. I am purchasing a new faster ssd but I am still going to use the old ssd on the same pc. is it possible to transfer the operating system files to the faster ssd as well as the apps, games ect. can all this be done with out loosing any...
  9. Queston: Migrating OS to different Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Queston: Migrating OS to different Drive: To start off, here's what I have in my gaming PC: Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB M.2 SSD (This is where Windows 10 is installed along with some programs and a couple of games) Samsung 860 EVO 250 GB SSD (Currently connected via External connector from StarTech.com. Nothing is on it...
  10. USB device can't migrate

USB device can't migrate: I've updated Windows 10 Home to version 1809. Haven't encountered problems until recently. Every usb device that wasn't installed on my PC prior to the update fails to install. ///Device USB\VID_05DC&PID_0300\00027D092247250 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. migrate windows 10 to usb drive