Windows 10: Migrate WIndows 10 licence to new computer

Discus and support Migrate WIndows 10 licence to new computer in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Hello, I haven't found the specific answer I'm looking for, hence opening this new question. I bought two Windows 7 pro licences back when it was a... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by king PA, Dec 7, 2019.

1. king PA Win User

Migrate WIndows 10 licence to new computer

Hello,

I haven't found the specific answer I'm looking for, hence opening this new question.

I bought two Windows 7 pro licences back when it was a thing.

Installed onto two identical computers (the wife's and myself).

Then came the Windows 10 free update.

Both licences were updated and are tied to those two motherboards.

Today, I want to transfer them to the two new identical AMD PCs I bought.

Every tutorial I find is always ending the same way:

Enter the licence key onto the new windows Activation screen.

I do not know the Windows 10 activation key! All I have, I think, is the Win 7 keys

I found a powershell script that extract the key from Windows.

The script returns a key but both computers are registered with the same key. Same ID.

It seems though, that this is only a generic product key XXXXX-XXXXX-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T

So I used the Windows 10 Pro 1909 installer and reinstalled a fresh version of windows on a blank hard drive, and Windows activated itself normally.

So my question is: How can I migrate my licences to the new PC with the upgraded Win 7 keys.

Thanks

:)

king PA, Dec 7, 2019

2. migrating windows 10 using windows 8.1 retail licence to new system

I am using my retail licence of Windows 8.1 Pro on my Asus laptop which was purchased with DOS. I have even upgraded it to Windows 10 Pro. Now I have purchased another new laptop running on DOS and I want to migrate my licenced windows 10 to new one. I
    will format the old laptop and will install fresh Windows 8.1 Pro with licence key. Can I do it and can update the OS to Windows 10 Pro again on new laptop. Please share details of the steps which should I care while performing this exercise.

RohitThakur87, Dec 7, 2019
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Dec 7, 2019
  4. CjAlfonso Win User

Migrating legacy xp computer to new Windows 10 computer

Thank you for your response. The Windows 10 computer will be a NEW Dell Inspiron with Windows 10 pre installed.

Again thank you for the logical answer. Now I am seeking the technical answer. Is there a written step by step tutorial on this exhausting procedure. I need to create new user accounts and configure them. Install all new software and restore data. I
    expect this will cost $2000 to $3000 and 200 hours of labor. I have done these types of migrations many years ago and I anticipate seeing every imaginable error message that msft has written

CjAlfonso, Dec 7, 2019
Thema:

1. Migrate WIndows 10 licence to new computer - Similar Threads - Migrate licence computer

2. Transfer of licence to a new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer of licence to a new computer: Hi,I have recently bought a new PC and would like to transfer my windows licence from the old to the new. I thought I could delink the licence from my old computer in my microsoft account, but the only device I can see is my partner's. I checked on mine and it says in the...
  3. Transfer Windows 10 licence to new computer

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Transfer Windows 10 licence to new computer: My Windows 10 Pro was upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate retail version, if I have changed my motherboard and CPU, can I transfer my WIndows 10 to the new computer? How can I do that?...
  4. Transfer Windows 10 licence to new computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Transfer Windows 10 licence to new computer: My Windows 10 Pro was upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate retail version, if I have changed my motherboard and CPU, can I transfer my WIndows 10 to the new computer? How can I do that?...
  5. Transfer Windows 10 licence to new computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  6. Migrating Windows 10 to a new computer

Migrating Windows 10 to a new computer: While making a list of parts for my upcoming PC build, I was wondering if it is possible to install an HDD from an older prebuilt system and transfer Windows 10 to an SSD in the new build. Would it work? If so, would I still need an activation key? Thanks :...
  7. Migrating legacy xp computer to new Windows 10 computer

Migrating legacy xp computer to new Windows 10 computer: I need help in starting up a new Win 10 computer and migrating from a legacy xp computer. My local Microsoft store tells me this is not truly possible...
  8. Migration to a new computer

Migration to a new computer: I have a Windows 10 OS on my current computer. I bought a new computer with Windows 10 installed. I want to migrate files/apps/programs from the old computer to the new one in the simplest way possible without investing in any transfer software. Many of my files/documents are...
  9. Migrating to new computers

Migrating to new computers: We need to migrate our data and programs to new computers. One source computer runs XP, the other runs Win 10 Pro x64 (winver 1703); both destination computers run Win 10 Pro x64. What's the best way to go about it? I understand there is software designed to help. 88869
  10. Migrate to new computer

Migrate to new computer: My daughter just upgraded her Surface Pro 2 to a Surface Pro 4. Is there an easy way to migrate all her info/programs/data to the new computer? 66290