Windows 10: Migrate Windows 10 to new SSD from HHD

Discus and support Migrate Windows 10 to new SSD from HHD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi, i have installed a new SSD into my PC and would like to migrate Windows 10 into the new SSD from my old HHD. I do not have a USB or CD disk at hand... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Putteperser, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Migrate Windows 10 to new SSD from HHD

Hi, i have installed a new SSD into my PC and would like to migrate Windows 10 into the new SSD from my old HHD. I do not have a USB or CD disk at hand and since im in quarantine i cannot obtain one at the moment. I was wondering though since i want to completely reformat my HHD anyway could i reformat the HHD and when its fresh and only with Windows 10 installed could i then migrate the files onto the SSD and make it into the boot up disk without problems? Thank you!

:)

Putteperser, Jul 8, 2020
  2. thatpaul Win User

Migrating from SSHD to SSD

How would one migrate a SSHD to SSD? The bootable files are on the 24Gb hybrid part of the HHD. Is it possible to combine the Hybrid part and the HHD part and then clone them to the SSD?

thatpaul, Jul 8, 2020
  3. Windows 10 HHD to SSD Transfer

I just purchased an SSD that I want to use as my primary disk. Before this SSD I was (and still am sadly) using an HHD. I have already migrated all of my files using an application called 'Data Migration'. This is my first time doing something like this
    and I'm already incredibly confused. I want to be able to boot up my computer on nothing but my SSD but I don't know how to Transfer windows 10 over to my SSD so I can remove my HHD entierly. Is there any way I can do this without purchasing a windows 10 boot
    disk as I've been told I need to?

BryceCummings, Jul 8, 2020
  4. Roohi_Taj Win User

Migrate Windows 10 to new SSD from HHD

Windows 10 HHD to SSD migration

Hi Qraven,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

We do not have an option to transfer only the OS from HDD to SSD. But the best option would be to do a clean install on SSD. After the installation, SSD will have the Active partition, so that it will be easier for you to
    recover the pc in future, if you have any trouble.

I suggest you to follow the steps:

Note: Make sure that you have backups of all data from the PC as the clean installation will remove all the files and programs from the PC. After the installation you can restore
    the data back to the HDD.

To do a clean installation, you will need a USB/DVD. You can follow the Microsoft article or check the video suggested by
    PaulSeyHow
    to create Windows 10 installation DVD/USB flash drive Step-by-Step Guide.

Once the bootable media is created, you can follow the steps in this article on ‘How
    to Clean Install Windows 10 on a PC Step-by-Step
    Guide
    ’ to install the Windows 10 on your SSD.

Once the system is up and running, you can restore all your files to HDD. Let us know if you need further assistance regarding this issue.

Hope it helps.

Let us know if you got the help you needed by clicking Yes or No.

Roohi Taj S

Microsoft Community - Moderator

Roohi_Taj, Jul 8, 2020
Thema:

Migrate Windows 10 to new SSD from HHD

1. Migrate Windows 10 to new SSD from HHD - Similar Threads - Migrate SSD HHD

2. Migrating Windows to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Migrating Windows to a new SSD: So my old SSD card crashed and is no longer readable. After buying a new SSD I need to migrate my account to the new drive but cannot access my old SSD drive to get my key from CMD. How can I activate my windows account on the new drive without my old one working and no...
  3. Migrating Windows to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating Windows to a new SSD: So my old SSD card crashed and is no longer readable. After buying a new SSD I need to migrate my account to the new drive but cannot access my old SSD drive to get my key from CMD. How can I activate my windows account on the new drive without my old one working and no...
  4. win10 migration from HHD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    win10 migration from HHD to SSD: Hello Everyone, I've got an SSD which already has a an older version of windows and an HDD with my current win10 version. I´d like to know how to migrate the new version from the HDD to the SSD and then, how to configure it to boost the new one without having to erase the old...
  5. Migrating to new SSD?

Migrating to new SSD?: I created an image of the old SSD with macrium Reflect and restored it to the new SSD. However the PC won't boot even if that's the only SSD I have installed. In Diskmanagement Events I can see: "Device settings for SCSI\Disk&Ven_NVMe&Prod_Samsung_SSD_970\5&bbc8c1b&0&000000...
  6. Migrate Windows 10 to new SSD from HHD

Migrate Windows 10 to new SSD from HHD: Hi, i have installed a new SSD into my PC and would like to migrate Windows 10 into the new SSD from my old HHD. I do not have a USB or CD disk at hand and since im in quarantine i cannot obtain one at the moment. I was wondering though since i want to completely reformat my...
  7. Migrating W10 from SSD to USB and then to new SSD

Migrating W10 from SSD to USB and then to new SSD: Hi Some months ago, I bought a new Custom-built PC with a 128G M2 SSD, where Windows lives. Over the months, this SSD has become too full with Program Installs to allow for Windows updates (where it needs to make another copy...). So I have bought a new Samsung 500G M2 SSD,...
  8. Migrating Windows 10 from an existing HDD to a new SSD

Migrating Windows 10 from an existing HDD to a new SSD: I have Installed a new WD SSD on my Asus S15 S510UN Laptop. I have been trying to identify possibilities of migrating my Windows 10 installation 'as it is' to my new WD SSD. I have tried using Acronis True Image WD Edition but am facing some issues with the installation. The...
  9. Windows 10 HHD to SSD migration

Windows 10 HHD to SSD migration: So, I've recently bought a SSD 120gb drive. I waanted to only keep there my OS and browser. I wanted to transfer only the OS from old 1tb HHD to my new SSD. The problem is that i don't have partition only for system. My only partition is C: disk which contains my photos and...
  10. Upgrading 7 to 10 from HHD to SSD

in Windows 10 Support
    Upgrading 7 to 10 from HHD to SSD: Okay, One of my systems currently has Windows 7 Home Premium that somewhere along the line I used it to play around with 10. Because when I go to the Windows upgrade site, it is recognized as a Windows 10 machine. Now, I am currently running on HHDs a couple of 4TB...