Windows 10: migrated OS, now strange partition and un-usable E drive

Discus and support migrated OS, now strange partition and un-usable E drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I just upgraded my Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and OS drive. I used a migration software called MiniTool Partition Wizard to migrate the OS from my SSD to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Shananigans, Dec 5, 2019.

1. migrated OS, now strange partition and un-usable E drive

I just upgraded my Motherboard, CPU, RAM, and OS drive. I used a migration software called MiniTool Partition Wizard to migrate the OS from my SSD to the new NVME drive. For some reason, I now have a 398MB LocalDisk E drive I can't see in disk management, and a 1.76 GB partition on the NVME disk that I can't do anything with. disk management won't let me extend the C: partition.

I'd like to get rid of both of these so i can have that 1.76 GB back to the drive space, and I want to make the now "I" drive back into the E drive as it was before i did this upgrade.

I noticed the C: partition on Disk 5 is not "Active" after trying to do some research for this. I followed some other instructions to go through diskpart in cmd prompt and found that this partition is not MBR.

Pics for reference, signature is updated. Thanks for any help!

Windows Version Number: Version 1903 Build 18362.476

migrated OS, now strange partition and un-usable E drive [​IMG]

:)

Shananigans, Dec 5, 2019
  2. Dia01 Win User

Partition or multiple hard drives?

As the title suggests. Is it worth installing say a 36GB drive for the OS soley or partitioning an existing larger drive with either 2 or more partitions? I am currently running Vista 32bit and want to try out 64bit and am sick of reformatting the whole drive. Any suggestions?

Dia01, Dec 5, 2019
  3. W1zzard Win User
    W7 Hard drive partition issue

to get rid of that 100 meg windows partition that setup creates for you on a new install on a blank hdd:

- press shift+f10 when on the partition management screen in setup <-- this opens a command prompt
    - diskpart <-- start the windows command line partition management tool
    - list disk <--- list the installed hdds in this computer for the next step
    - select disk 0 <- might have to replace 0 with the number of the correct disk
    - clean <-- this will erase all data on the disk you selected one step up- dont use the wrong disk!
    - create partition primary <- creates a primary partition taking up all space on the drive, adjust the command if necessary
    - exit, exit to exit diskpart and the command prompt
    - click refresh in partition manager and select your newly created partition and install to that

W1zzard, Dec 5, 2019
  4. migrated OS, now strange partition and un-usable E drive

exterior hard drive usable?

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below steps and check if it helps.

• Plug USB hard drive into old computer.
    • Open File Explorer (Win+E) and open the USB drive.
    • Open another File Explorer window and open your documents folder.
    • Drag files to the USB drive.
    • Move drive to new computer.
    • Drag files to their new homes in the matching documents/pictures/videos/whatever folders you use to organize.
    Please let us know if you have any further issues. in uploading/ transferring data.

Thanks.

Anil Madishetty, Dec 5, 2019
Thema:

migrated OS, now strange partition and un-usable E drive

1. migrated OS, now strange partition and un-usable E drive - Similar Threads - migrated strange partition

2. Migration os

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migration os: I cloned the os of my laptop on my ssd but i donot kow how to boot from my ssd not from my old hdd https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migration-os/88321ba8-0e8e-4b75-a2a9-314395227da2
  3. Migrating only the os from un-partitioned HDD to SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating only the os from un-partitioned HDD to SSD?: HDD has only one partition, in which is the windows 10 also. So how can I do it? Should I (if it's possible) split the HDD to allocate for Windows and clone only that particular partition? How to do that if it's possible? I also want to keep anything else on HDD, I don't want...
  4. Migrating OS to new Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating OS to new Hard Drive: Okay, I think I need some help. I am trying to move my OS from a SSD that runs on SATA to a PCIe NVMe SSD. My motherboard has a native NVMe slot so I was able to plug it in no problem. I can get a reading on the hard drive itself and I made a complete copy of it using...
  5. Migrating Window 10 OS to a partition drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrating Window 10 OS to a partition drive.: Hello there, I was wondering if it's possible to migrate the OS from C drive to D drive without the need to reformat the computer? If can't, is it possible to only move other files and program to other partition but leaving only the OS in the C drive?...
  6. OS Migration

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    OS Migration: I have a PC that has become very slow at booting up. Sometimes it takes so long to be ready to use, I have to re-boot it again in order for it so be useable at all. It has 2 x 1TB HDDs in it & the one with the OS on it is at about 95% full. So I guess that this cold be the...
  7. os migration

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    os migration: hi I have a gaming pc with 3 ssd slots. I am purchasing a new faster ssd but I am still going to use the old ssd on the same pc. is it possible to transfer the operating system files to the faster ssd as well as the apps, games ect. can all this be done with out loosing any...
  8. Queston: Migrating OS to different Drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Queston: Migrating OS to different Drive: To start off, here's what I have in my gaming PC: Samsung 960 EVO 500 GB M.2 SSD (This is where Windows 10 is installed along with some programs and a couple of games) Samsung 860 EVO 250 GB SSD (Currently connected via External connector from StarTech.com. Nothing is on it...
  9. Migrate OS using MiniTool's Partition Wizard

Migrate OS using MiniTool's Partition Wizard: First, I know the topic I chose wasn't actually related to my question. I want to migrate my Windows OS to a different disk on my computer but am worried I will screw it up. The System, Windows, and Windows RE partitions are on a 128GB SSD. I have a 1TB HDD as well but it has...
  10. Migrating Windows 10 OS partition to SSD

Migrating Windows 10 OS partition to SSD: So I just installed a new MX300 M2 275GB SSD into my Acer nitro 791g laptop and formatted as GPT. I want to migrate/clone my OS partition to the SSD, and wipe the C partition on the old HDD. The first 3 partitions are system reserved I believe with the 3rd being the recovery...