Windows 10: Migrated OS to SSD now unable to do inplace upgrade

Discus and support Migrated OS to SSD now unable to do inplace upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I used MiniTool Partition wizard to migrate the OS from my HDD to a new SSD. Process worked fine and the SSD booted. Problem is when I try to do an... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by bignoddy55, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Migrated OS to SSD now unable to do inplace upgrade

I used MiniTool Partition wizard to migrate the OS from my HDD to a new SSD. Process worked fine and the SSD booted.
    Problem is when I try to do an inplace upgrade to Windows 10 Insider preview on the SSD. The installation stops with the message that windows cannot be installed to a USB drive. Perhaps the problem is that there is no hidden system partition on the SSD?

Any suggestions please.

Cheers

:)

bignoddy55, Jul 11, 2015

2. WindowsUpdate_80070002-20009 error when upgrading from windows 8.1 to windows 10

Install Win8.1 on D: (secondary HDD)

upgrade to Win10

Migrate on C: (Primary SSD)

Am I right?

SINCE1982-FR, Jul 11, 2015
  3. Bz_18 Win User
    Migrated my OS to my SSD, now windows asks for recovery at every startup.

Hello,

I migrated my OS, windows 10, to my SSD. I have uninstalled the previous copy of the OS, which was on my HDD. The new setup works fine except that, upon every startup, i bump into the recovery tool.

From the recovery tool I can press Esc to get in the BIOS. In the boot priority list, there is no trace of the SSD, however when I select "boot from *HDD name here*" it boots windows 10 from my SSD.

I don't really understand what is going on here: why do I boot from my SSD when in the BIOS I select the other drive? Why do I startup to the recovery tool everytime even though once I get past it everything works just fine?

Thanks a lot for your time and your help, it is much appreciated,

PS: I use an ASUS x550JF-MS71 laptop.

*Déplacé depuis Forum Français*

Bz_18, Jul 11, 2015
  4. CountMike New Member

Migrated OS to SSD now unable to do inplace upgrade

Your SSD may be flagged as external, detachable drive. In Device Manager > Disk drives > Properties > Policies, check for Enable write caching, should be checked.

CountMike, Jul 11, 2015
  5. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Another problem might be trhat the SSD doesn't have enough space on it. Delete all the extra stuff - in particular do a Clean system files -- often there's a windows.old which can be removed and some setup files.

The USB message might just be a red herring.

Also did you copy ALL the partitions to the SSD from the old drive. I prefer GPARTED myself to the "Minitool" version - but it should work.

I also think a better method is actually to use a backup tool like Acronis / Macrium to Image the OLD system and then restore to the SSD. If the OLD partition is too big you can make it smaller BEFORE creating the image.

These backup systems have bootable options so you can restore from an external backup device too.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Jul 11, 2015
  6. I solved the problem and will detail how for the benefit of others with the same problem.
    Open regedit and go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control. Change the value PortableOperatingSystem to “0” from 1. Close regedit and reboot.
    Then try the inplace upgrade again. It worked for me.
    PS I also did a clean install on another hard drive, but of course could not activate unless I used the Winaero tip to activate using an unofficial KMS server and a different key. As I had given up on solving the problem, I cloned this clean install to the SSD, wiping the legal Win 8.1ProWMC install. Fortunately, I had a Veeam Endpoint Backup Free image of SSD saved on my NAS. I booted into the Veeam recovery media and recovered the image to the SSD, made the registry changes, rebooted and did the inplace upgrade. This upgrade activated automatically. I then removed the SSD and attached the HDD, changed the product key back to **** 3V66T and it also activated permanently.
    Lessons to be learnt for all (1) Have a backup before you do anything. (2) Keep that backup of your old OS as you may be able to use it again on another machine if your current one dies.

bignoddy55, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Migrated OS to SSD now unable to do inplace upgrade

1. Migrated OS to SSD now unable to do inplace upgrade - Similar Threads - Migrated SSD unable

2. Migrated OS to SSD, now computer is running extremely slow

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrated OS to SSD, now computer is running extremely slow: Hi, I just migrated my OS to my SSD witch has been in my system for years now, I then completely wiped my old HDD but kept it in my computer. Now my PC is running extremely slow, I've checked task manager, I've checked bios, I'm going to try and upgrade windows to windows 11...
  3. Migrated OS to SSD, now computer is running extremely slow

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migrated OS to SSD, now computer is running extremely slow: Hi, I just migrated my OS to my SSD witch has been in my system for years now, I then completely wiped my old HDD but kept it in my computer. Now my PC is running extremely slow, I've checked task manager, I've checked bios, I'm going to try and upgrade windows to windows 11...
  4. Migrated OS to SSD, now computer is running extremely slow

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD: Hi,If I just migrate my Windows 10 from HDD to SSD but since my HDD has two other drives-D & E, besides C; so after that, if I change the boot option to SSD from HDD as shown above, will the data on drives D & E of my HDD will be formatted as well since I'm just migrating my...
  6. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD: Hi,If I just migrate my Windows 10 from HDD to SSD but since my HDD has two other drives-D & E, besides C; so after that, if I change the boot option to SSD from HDD as shown above, will the data on drives D & E of my HDD will be formatted as well since I'm just migrating my...
  7. Migrating OS to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating OS to SSD: To keep it short: Migrating OS from HDD to SSD. Problem is the EFI boot partition (16 Mb) and another unnamed partition are on the SSD. Somehow, the main Windows files are on the C: drive (HDD) and the boot is on the SSD. Aside from that, nothing else on the solid drive....
  8. Trouble migrating OS to an SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trouble migrating OS to an SSD: So, last week I got myself an SSD to use in my desktop PC. And when I try to migrate the whole OS with all my files and installed applications using Macrium. I get an error when I try to boot from the SSD, after all the copying process. And whatever I try doesn't help. Does...
  9. migrating OS to new ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    migrating OS to new ssd: How can I migrate my os to my new ssd without going through any updates and so forth? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migrating-os-to-new-ssd/e6936d37-08ae-469a-b831-f77b68db6072
  10. Migrate OS to SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrate OS to SSD: I cannot figure out how to move windows 10 os to new SSD. The C drive is not partitioned so the 1.8 TB drive is trying to migrate to the 500gb SSD, which it will not allow me to do. Is there a way to seperate just the OS from the C drive ?...