Windows 10: Migrating 1TB HDD to a 250GB SSD

Discus and support Migrating 1TB HDD to a 250GB SSD in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; I've got a 2TB C drive that I'm running at the moment. The thing takes ages to load up. I've also had a 250GB SSD sitting on my shelf for a while. The... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/Zdragon1, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Migrating 1TB HDD to a 250GB SSD

I've got a 2TB C drive that I'm running at the moment. The thing takes ages to load up. I've also had a 250GB SSD sitting on my shelf for a while.

The issue is that there is no boot partition on the old the HDD so the OS is just lumped in there with everything else. Currently, I'm using up about 0.98 of a TB on the HDD.

I don't want to lose my data but I only want to run the OS on the new SSD. I also don't want to spring for a 1TB SSD if I don't have to. Too pricy if I can avoid it by just moving some files around.

All of this leaves me without the option for a full clone. But, is there a way to get my OS on the new drive and keep my extra data on the old drive without totally messing up my PC? Any advice would be very helpful. Thanks.

submitted by /u/Zdragon1
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/Zdragon1, Mar 30, 2021

2. 1TB HDD not Migrated

Why am I seeing this error? New 1TB HDD, and why is Windows not letting me use the HDD.

Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_ST4000DM&Prod_000-1F2168\4&1f5e0e69&0&040000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: SCSI\Disk&Ven_Msft&Prod_Virtual_Disk\2&1f4adffe&0&000001

Class Guid: {4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Location Path:

Migration Rank: 0xF000FC000000F120

Present: false

Windows 10 64, Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Game 3 Rev 1.1

Intel i7-6700K @4.00 GHz

32.0 GB Ram

PNY 480GB M.2 as Boot

Samsung 950GB SSD - Files - Video - Music Drive

ST4000DM000-1F2168 1TB (Not Migrated)

Want to use as a system back-up drive only.

Jedi Master Yod, Mar 30, 2021
  3. DHAndrews Win User
    New Machine, New HDD with OEM OS, new 250GB SSD

I have a new Dell in a box with the OEM OS (Win 10 home) on a HDD. I have a clean, new 250 GB SSD from a previous machine

Before I start it up, I would like to install the OS to the 250GB SSD . Would I be better off to start up from the HDD and then migrate to the SSD, or ...?

DHAndrews, Mar 30, 2021
  4. ARIFRASAK Win User

Migrating 1TB HDD to a 250GB SSD

Migrating from Hdd to ssd

Migrating from Hdd to ssd

Hi ,

i need to migrate from my current hdd to ssd,Without losing data and windows how can i make copy from hdd,Is there any software availabe for that ????i need secure and easy software

ARIFRASAK, Mar 30, 2021
Thema:

Migrating 1TB HDD to a 250GB SSD

1. Migrating 1TB HDD to a 250GB SSD - Similar Threads - Migrating 1TB HDD

2. Migrating to SSD from HDD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Migrating to SSD from HDD: Hello there, A few years back, I purchased a Lenovo Y470 Laptop with a preinstalled Microsoft Windows 7 Home Edition which was then updated to Windows 10 Home Edition. Now, my laptop has gotten very low in speed and I want to replace the HDD with an SSD drive keeping both...
  3. Migrating from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating from HDD to SSD: How to check if i have completely migrated from my HDD to SSD. I actually have done it about a year back. The laptop is running fine. BUt i cannot access my bios. Also cannot create recovery disc. Finally can i delete old windows files taking up space in my HDD....
  4. Migrating from 1TB HDD to 4TB

Migrating from 1TB HDD to 4TB: Hello fellow tenforums users, I am having a bit of a dilemma. I have a 4TB HDD that I want to install in place of my current disk and I am not sure how to make an exact clone of my C drive. I have an external usb 3.0 docking station for sata drives and was going to just use...
  5. Migrating from Hdd to ssd

Migrating from Hdd to ssd: Migrating from Hdd to ssd Hi , i need to migrate from my current hdd to ssd,Without losing data and windows how can i make copy from hdd,Is there any software availabe for that ????i need secure and easy software...
  6. Migrating from HDd to ssd

Migrating from HDd to ssd: Hi , i need to migrate from my current hdd to ssd,Without losing data and windows how can i make copy from hdd,Is there any software availabe for that ???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migrating-from-hdd-to-ssd/c2565ea0-ce8a-44b6-a828-e7cdbffa73f6
  7. Migration from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migration from hdd to ssd: Windows 10 is currently on a 1.5 Tb hdd that is almost full. I want to purchase an ssd to use as the boot/system drive. I do not want to shell out for a large sdd. I do not want to do a fresh install of windows unless I can save all of my settings and not have to reinstall...
  8. 1TB HDD not Migrated

in Windows 10 Customization
    1TB HDD not Migrated: Why am I seeing this error? New 1TB HDD, and why is Windows not letting me use the HDD. Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_ST4000DM&Prod_000-1F2168\4&1f5e0e69&0&040000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match. Last Device Instance Id:...
  9. questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    questions re swapping 1TB HDD with a 1TB SSD: I have a fairly new Dell 8900 and want to swap its 1TB HDD with a new Crucial 1TB SSD I plan to clone the existing HDD using Macrium7 to the new SSD, then remove the HDD and install the new SSD in its place. Would this work? Would the currently existing SATA cable work with...
  10. Migration to SSD/HDD system

Migration to SSD/HDD system: Hi, I have a cloned copy of my existing HDD and am considering buying (or personaly upgrading to) a new system with a SSD and HDD. Obviously the current Windows installation is on a HDD, so is it possiblethat I could I restore the cloned Windows system to a SSD and the...