Windows 10: Migrating a Win10 User profile to a new acxount

Discus and support Migrating a Win10 User profile to a new acxount in Windows 10 Customization to solve the problem; So here is my question. A user has changed her surname and due to other issues i have had to creat her a new AD account. I want to copy the whole... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Customization' started by GordyB71, Jun 26, 2019.

1. GordyB71 Win User

Migrating a Win10 User profile to a new acxount

So here is my question. A user has changed her surname and due to other issues i have had to creat her a new AD account. I want to copy the whole contents of her user profile C:\Windows\users\••••• and then move it ti the new account, what is the easiest process to complete this so that when the user signs into her new account she sees her desktop, favourites etc.

Thanks.

:)

GordyB71, Jun 26, 2019
  2. mike908 Win User

USMT 10 - issues with profile when migrating from Win7 to Win10

Hello,

Has anyone used USMT 10 to migrate from Win7 to Win10?

I have used USMT successfully in the past to move WinXP (32-bit) to Win7 Pro (64-bit). I downloaded the new ADK to get the v10 tools. I now have USMT 10 and was practicing the migration of Win7 Pro 64-bit users to Win10 Enterprise 64-bit. Just for completeness, I also tried Win7 Enterprise 64-bit -> USMT -> Win10 Enterprise 64-bit. The results were the same.

I have used the original MIG XML files previously and they did what I needed, so I intended to do the same here. My XML files are unmodified at this point, but I tried with a few modifications aimed at not bringing over Start Menu (shared & user specific) *.LNK files.I have had this failure with both the "no LNK files" and stock XML versions. I tested and the migration logs (scanstate and loadstate) both claim no error in the migration process. Reviewing the logs I see no critical errors or warnings.

The problem is that following the migration, the profiles that were migrated cannot use Start Menu, Cortana/Search, Notification Area (Action Center), or right click any icon pinned to the Taskbar. SearchUI.exe appears to not be running when I review Task Manager -> Details. Cortana is not listed under Processes.

A new user - someone who logs on without a migrated profile - is created properly and they work normally. Existing users - the tech profile that existed prior to the migration - work fine. It is only a failure within the migrated profiles. I have tried the suggested Start Menu repair actions (the Get-AppXPackage / AppXManifest.xml process) and multiple other suggestions. Nothing seems to repair this, and since I can create a new profile successfully or use a non-migrated existing profile, I have to believe it's a flaw in what I'm doing with USMT.

My scanstate script is: scanstate.exe \\system\migration_folder /i:migapp.xml /i:migdocs.xml /o /uel:90 /l:C:\scanstate.log /v:13

My loadstate script is: loadstate.exe \\system\migration_folder /i:migapp.xml /i:c:\intel\usmtfiles\miguser.xml /l:C:\loadstatelog /v:13

mike908, Jun 26, 2019
  3. Rose Ter Win User
    migrate user profile

Hi Adeel,

For us to better understand the problem and provide you the best resolution, please clarify the following:

• What do you mean when you mentioned domain user profile?
    • Are you trying to copy a local user profile to a domain account?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Regards.

Rose Ter, Jun 26, 2019
  4. Kari Win User

Migrate Locale Profile to Domain

I removed my reply because watching those instructions on TechNet I started wondering if they really work with Windows 10.

Anyway, whatever you try create first a dummy profile, customize it a bit and move it to domain. If everything works, you can then move real profiles.

Thema:

1. Migrating a Win10 User profile to a new acxount - Similar Threads - Migrating Win10 User

2. User profile migration to new Windows 11 PCs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User profile migration to new Windows 11 PCs: As one department ~170 persons are in a transition to move to another department on new Windows 11 PCs I would like to move, not only relevant documents but preferably, the entire user profiles with them.Most of their functions will remain the same. And so most relevant...
  3. User profile migration to new Windows 11 PCs

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User profile migration to new Windows 11 PCs: As one department ~170 persons are in a transition to move to another department on new Windows 11 PCs I would like to move, not only relevant documents but preferably, the entire user profiles with them.Most of their functions will remain the same. And so most relevant...
  4. New User Profile

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    New User Profile: My user profile linked to my Microsoft account appears to be corrupted.How can I create a new user profile linked to the same Microsoft account without removing the corrupted profile?Mohan...
  5. User Profile migration problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User Profile migration problem: Customer I work for is pulling in a smaller firm running Windows clean Azure. I am to get those users onto the On-prem domain and have been given the task to move not only their data but also their current user account experience. Going through everything I could find over...
  6. User Profile migration problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    User Profile migration problem: Customer I work for is pulling in a smaller firm running Windows clean Azure. I am to get those users onto the On-prem domain and have been given the task to move not only their data but also their current user account experience. Going through everything I could find over...
  7. User Profile migration problem

in Windows 10 Customization
  8. User profile migration – migrate user accounts - UPDATE

User profile migration – migrate user accounts - UPDATE: Summary: Originally The below post was posted by Johan Ole Svensson as the result of an internal Survey on his part. Sadly he made the mistake to just point to the excellent answer over at "Experts Exchange" but "Experts Exchange" have shut down access for users without a...
  9. user profile Win10

user profile Win10: How do I repair or replace my user profile in Windows10 that was corrupted during a shutdown failure? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/user-profile-win10/a2f7d226-78c4-4ab6-87a4-133411eb0fd7
  10. User profile partially "corrupted", how to migrate to a new one?

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    User profile partially "corrupted", how to migrate to a new one?: It seems that sometimes Windows 10 user profiles get corrupted. Small problems here and there. Nothing fixes the problems and you have to create a new profile. What is the best way to "copy" or "clone" stuff from the old profile to the new one? I already have most programs...