Windows 10: Migrating a Windows 10 installation to a new SSD drive

Discus and support Migrating a Windows 10 installation to a new SSD drive in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Before I ask my question, I've read this post so I understand the basic procedure. My exact situation however is that I intend to keep the existing... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by AndyTSJ, May 7, 2020.

1. AndyTSJ Win User

Migrating a Windows 10 installation to a new SSD drive

Before I ask my question, I've read this post so I understand the basic procedure.

My exact situation however is that I intend to keep the existing drive with Windows on it installed, but just transfer my Windows installation to a new SSD that I plan on installing. What do I do with the old installation once Windows is installed on the new SSD because there will be stuff still on the existing drive that I want to keep on there? Is it easier to migrate the entre contents of that drive to the new SSD it's a 500GB drive and I have less than that on my current HDD and format/partition to clean that HDD once that is done? If so, how?

Any advice would be appreciated.

:)

AndyTSJ, May 7, 2020
  2. Teccmo Win User

Need to migrate Windows 10 installation to new SSD , it's a mess.

MiniTool Disk Partition Screenshot

Migrating a Windows 10 installation to a new SSD drive [​IMG]

RYZEN5-PC (2018-07-15 15 41).zip

I did the Diskpart step that SWI2 explained in post #14 and rebooted, but I still see drive D having the system label.

Migrating a Windows 10 installation to a new SSD drive [​IMG]

Teccmo, May 7, 2020
  3. Migrating Digitally Licensed Windows 10 to SSD

I am very confused on how to migrate my current OS to my SSD by using the new ISO by Windows. I have installed the ISO onto a flash drive. I have booted the flash drive and it says that I have to go back and start Windows normally and restart the upgrade
    process. What does this mean? Could anyone give me step-by-step instructions on how to migrate my OS? Also, my Windows 10 is digitally licensed.

AlexDT3956, May 7, 2020
  4. Migrating a Windows 10 installation to a new SSD drive

Andre Da Costa, May 7, 2020
Thema:

Migrating a Windows 10 installation to a new SSD drive

1. Migrating a Windows 10 installation to a new SSD drive - Similar Threads - Migrating installation SSD

2. Migrating Windows to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Migrating Windows to a new SSD: So my old SSD card crashed and is no longer readable. After buying a new SSD I need to migrate my account to the new drive but cannot access my old SSD drive to get my key from CMD. How can I activate my windows account on the new drive without my old one working and no...
  3. Migrating Windows to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating Windows to a new SSD: So my old SSD card crashed and is no longer readable. After buying a new SSD I need to migrate my account to the new drive but cannot access my old SSD drive to get my key from CMD. How can I activate my windows account on the new drive without my old one working and no...
  4. Migrating Windows to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Migrating Windows 10 to new ssd drive.

Migrating Windows 10 to new ssd drive.: I need to retire my very old hdd. I am hoping that I can transfer my existing installation from drive to drive without a lot of trouble. Is this possible?...
  6. Migrating to new SSD?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating to new SSD?: I created an image of the old SSD with macrium Reflect and restored it to the new SSD. However the PC won't boot even if that's the only SSD I have installed. In Diskmanagement Events I can see: "Device settings for SCSI\Disk&Ven_NVMe&Prod_Samsung_SSD_970\5&bbc8c1b&0&000000...
  7. Trying to migrate windows installation to new ssd.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trying to migrate windows installation to new ssd.: When I first did this build, I installed windows on a 1tb ssd. I just got a new 2tb ssd and I want to migrate my windows installation and files to the 2tb ssd. So I cloned my 1tb to the 2tb and reset the boot priority to my 2tb. So I booted up windows and windows still...
  8. Migrating Windows 10 1903 to a new SSD

Migrating Windows 10 1903 to a new SSD: I originally had a PC running Windows 7 and did the free upgrade to Windows 10. I would like to migrate my current system to a new faster SSD. Can someone please suggest a simple way of doing this. I have come across various links which refer to "Boot from your...
  9. Migrated Windows to an SSD drive

Migrated Windows to an SSD drive: After a lot of hassle as per usual with any Microsoft product, I eventually managed to reinstall Windows 10 using the same Windows serial I got off the old disk. I couldn't clone the old disk as I got the blue screen each time. Anyway, it now says I have an unauthorized...
  10. Need to migrate Windows 10 installation to new SSD , it's a mess.

Need to migrate Windows 10 installation to new SSD , it's a mess.: So, without getting into all the technical details before anyone replies, I just bought a 240gig OCZ ssd, to put the OS on to improve performance. I have 3 hdd's installed, and one is a Firecuda, so when I migrated it orignally to the D: drive(the Firecuda), I can't remember...