Windows 10: Migrating AD/DC, DNS, and DHCP from Server 2003 to 2012r2

Discus and support Migrating AD/DC, DNS, and DHCP from Server 2003 to 2012r2 in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello, I have 2 DC's -1-2003 and second one that was 2016. The secondary domain controller (Windows server 2016) went belly up and I was tasked... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Joseph Seyler, Nov 12, 2019.

1. Migrating AD/DC, DNS, and DHCP from Server 2003 to 2012r2

Hello,

I have 2 DC's -1-2003 and second one that was 2016.

The secondary domain controller (Windows server 2016) went belly up and I was tasked with building a new one. What I noticed was the System admin who had built it before put it on a server that was over kill. Thus, I re-purposed that server for other things, and began with a fresh 2012r2 build on an entirely different machine. (Mainly because he didn't have any backups taken anyway).

I decided this would be a great opportunity to upgrade and get off of 2003 and spring board to 2016 or 2019. The 2003 server is a AC/DC, DNS and DHCP server. I am using 2012r2 as a stepping stone to get up to the 2016 or 2019 edition, so essentially I will be doing this exercise 2 more times.

Anyway.. I began by following the below article. https://www.wintips.org/how-to-migr...to-active-directory-server-2016-step-by-step/

Replication (ADDC/DNS) between the 2 servers seems good, and I got all the way to switching the 5 FSMO roles, which worked smoothly. My issue is this: I wanted to test before going onto the part about demoting the 2003 server, so I unplugged the network cable. I was able to login to my machine still (on the domain) but doing something as simple as sending a skype message, checking email, getting out to the web stopped working. I plug the 2003 server network cable back in, everything works again.

I am at my wits-end as I can not even think about demoting the 2003 server until I 100% know that the those issues are resolved. Please help!

:)

Joseph Seyler, Nov 12, 2019
  2. YuewenLi Win User

The second AD DC constant automatic restart

Hi,

My Second AD DC (Windows 2016 server) constant automatic restart, here is the situation:

1. AD primary DC (windows 2012 R2) works well

2. Windows 2016 works well after installation with the roles of AD, DNS ,DHCP without join AD.

3. Promote the windows 2016 to AD DC successfully (joining AD)

4. The windows 2016 server constant automatic restart

Does anyone can help me?

Thank you in advance.

YuewenLi, Nov 12, 2019
  3. TAU
    Tau Win User
    Server 2003 or 2008?

Alright we i am going to be assembling/installing/configing some servers for a local company here, as well as i hold the maitenence contract on them. They have some servers already that i will be reusing as well, 32bit quad xeon boxes, with 4GBs of ram a piece, and some hdds.

Now i have lots of experiance with server 2000/2003, my question is in relation to this, would it be worth it to run server 2008 over 2003 RC2? I havent used 2008 yet so i really have no idea on its stability/security, though i can only assume its more secure than 2003, and probobly a bit more userfriendly (its downloading right now off MSDN for me to play around with).

For now there are going to be 4 main servers, one running as a gateway with ISA server/DHCP/DNS/AD on it, an Exchange server might be running a couple sites from this box, a fileserver box (might end up being a print spooler as well. Then a backup AD/DNS/DHCP box as well.

Since the hardware is going to be primarily 32bit im going to be stuck with 32bit software so no exchange 2007 *Frown Migrating AD/DC, DNS, and DHCP from Server 2003 to 2012r2 :(. Just wanted some opinions on server 2008, also how well it meshes with exchange 2003? and if there are any issues mixing 2003 servers with 2008 (like mixing SBS with enterprise server).

Thanks.

4. jubjib1 Win User

Migrating AD/DC, DNS, and DHCP from Server 2003 to 2012r2

Window Server 2003 can't AD replication

Hi Support Team

I have server install Windows Server 2003. It's old and hardware unstable. I need to change to new Server. I try AD replication to new Server but after completed step.

I can't turn down old Server. When turn down old Server AD users and computer or another feature about AD can't use. I need your suggest.

jubjib1, Nov 12, 2019
Thema:

Migrating AD/DC, DNS, and DHCP from Server 2003 to 2012r2

1. Migrating AD/DC, DNS, and DHCP from Server 2003 to 2012r2 - Similar Threads - Migrating DNS DHCP

2. DNS Server

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    DNS Server: I keep being disconnected from the internet. When I troubleshoot I get the message "The DNS server isn't responding" Any help would be greatly appreciated. Moved from: More Office apps / Windows 10 / Unknown/other...
  3. DNS server

DNS server: The DNS server isn't responding Your computer appears to be correctly configured, but the device or resource (DNS server) is not responding. I can ping my router and can ping 8.8.8.8 in safe mode, but not in regular Windows 10. I have tried the ipconfig /flushdns, ipconfig...
  4. Non-AD Integrated DNS Servers

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Non-AD Integrated DNS Servers: Non-AD Integrated DNS Servers Hi everyone We’re in a situation that demands for deploying non-AD integrated DNS (I’m refraining myself explaining why to keep the focus to the actual question). It is going to be a member Windows DNS server joined to the AD domain...
  5. NPS Server and DHCP Problem

NPS Server and DHCP Problem: We are running Windows Server 2012/2016 Network Policy Server - With 802.1x authentication, when NPS submits a query to a Domain Controller with a computer name, does it trigger the Windows 10 client to request an extension to the leased DHCP address?...
  6. Hep with WSUS server 2012r2

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Hep with WSUS server 2012r2: I am new to this, so I maybe need extra help to sort this out. We have wsus server 2012 r2 which was configured by previous IT Manager. Currently the server is not pushing out windows 10 updates( Build 1803) or updating build 1607 or 1709. The product classification is...
  7. Blue Screen Windows Server 2012R2

Blue Screen Windows Server 2012R2: Periodically the server goes to blue screen and reboots, the frequency is once a month. The reason for leaving judging by the dump is one and the same kernel executable ntoskrnl.exe errors can be different (Crach adress): ntoskrnl.exe + 1552a0 ntoskrnl.exe + 154fa0...
  8. Changing DNS server

Changing DNS server: Can I use either one of these to change my DNS server. I have a T-Mobile version of the ASUS TM-AC1900 router. The ASUS does not seem to have an alternate address input 92132
  9. Preferrence of DNS servers from VPN issue (DNS Leak)

Preferrence of DNS servers from VPN issue (DNS Leak): Hello, when I connect to VPN, I receive DNS servers, but windows primarily uses DNS servers configured on my LAN connection (checked with nslookup). This is problem when I am accessing same hostname, which has internal IP in VPN. I tried to change network adapters order...
  10. New Year’s Resolution: Evaluate Windows Server 2012R2 and System Center 2012R2

in Windows 10 News
    New Year’s Resolution: Evaluate Windows Server 2012R2 and System Center 2012R2: Windows Server 2012 R2 and Microsoft System Center 2012 R2 are now available. Try the free 180-day evaluations and see how the latest releases provide enterprise-class datacenter and hybrid cloud solutions. Link. 1433