Windows 10: migrating file shortcuts grief

Discus and support migrating file shortcuts grief in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; (Version 20H2 OS Build 19042.685) I'm in the process of moving a bunch of files from an old computer to a new one. In amongst the regular files and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by justanotherguy, Dec 18, 2020.

1. migrating file shortcuts grief

(Version 20H2 OS Build 19042.685)

I'm in the process of moving a bunch of files from an old computer to a new one.

In amongst the regular files and directories, the old computer has a lot of shortcuts. Things like "A - Shortcut" in C:\Users\Joe\Foo targeted to the file A in C:\Users\Joe\Bar.

I figured that as long as my user name and the rest of the path was the same on my new computer, I'd be fine. Well, I think I figured wrong:

After moving the files (via robocopy) over to the new computer:
    • I've still got "A - Shortcut" in C\Users\Joe\Foo and according to its properties it's still targeted at C:\Users\Joe\Bar\A
    • And I've still got the file A in C:\Users\Joe\Bar
    But when I try to access "A - Shortcut" I get something like "The drive or network connection is unavailable".

If I create a new "A - Shortcut" in directory Foo (targeting A in Bar) it works fine, but the old "A - Shortcut" (which has exactly the same target in its property description) doesn't work.

I gather there's more to shortcuts than just the target listed in the property description *Sad.

Any suggestions for how to handle this other than going through and fixing all the shortcuts by hand (there's hundreds of the darn things!) would be really appreciated!

The old computer was a Windows 7 machine (believe it or not), if that's relevant.

:)

justanotherguy, Dec 18, 2020
  2. terrace Win User

Screensaver shortcut

I did this"
    Search Results

I would suggest you to try the following steps and check if that helps.

• Go to the folder C:\Windows\System32 and sort by file type.
    • Look for the screensaver file type (.scr).
    • Find the file scrnsave.scr(you can choose any of the screensavers).
    • Right click and select send to>desktop (create shortcut). The shortcut on my attachment, but when i click on it my screen goes off and on and nothing else.migrating file shortcuts grief :)

terrace, Dec 18, 2020
  3. How to pin app shortcut to desk top?

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow below steps to change pin the apps on the desktop screen and check if it helps.

Step 1: I suggest you to perform the below steps to add the apps on desktop.

• Click on the “Start button” and locate the App that you want to pin to Desktop.
    • Right click on the “App” and click on “More options”.
    • Then click on “Open File location” and right click on the app, click on “Send to” option.
    • Then select “Desktop (Create shortcut)”.
    • Go to “Desktop” and check whether the app is located or not.

Or Step 2: To add shortcuts to the desktop

• Press and hold or right-click the desktop, tap or click New, and then tap or click Shortcut.
    • Enter the location of the item or tap or click Browse to find the item in File Explorer.

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Karthicka_R, Dec 18, 2020
  4. migrating file shortcuts grief

Creating Shortcuts with Batch File

Threw a program together quick for you. It is attached with source in the other. Use it in place of your VBScript.

It supports:
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon index]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon file]
    CreateShortcut [save shortcut] [path to run] [icon file] [icon index]

If "icon index" is missing, it assumes 0. If "icon file" is missing it assumes "path to run." It doesn't presently support arguments to be added to the shortcut nor modifying the working directory (always assumes same directory as "path to run").

Requires .NET Framework 4.0 to run. Will run natively on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows.

FordGT90Concept, Dec 18, 2020
Thema:

migrating file shortcuts grief

1. migrating file shortcuts grief - Similar Threads - migrating file shortcuts

2. missing files after migration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    missing files after migration: i just migrated from a hdd to a ssd, files, os, everything, but a lot of my files are missing just empty folders. i have tried looking for hidden files but they still arent there. it also still says that the space is taken up on the drive where the files should be Game files,...
  3. Migration of files / settings / applications

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migration of files / settings / applications: I have an old Windows 10 desktop in which the motherboard failed. I went out and purchased a new computer with Windows 11. I have the old M.2 hard drive with files / settings / applications but no way to do any backups as I no longer have the old computer. Is there a way to...
  4. NOTEPAD FILE GRIEFING!!!!

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    NOTEPAD FILE GRIEFING!!!!: When I try modifying an exe to see what happens and change it back to the way it was before, I notice that the exe is now broken for no known reason. However, when I compared the file contents, I saw that all the 00 bytes had become 20'sspace! Why does notepad do this! Also,...
  5. Lost shortcut for Intel Data Migration Software

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Lost shortcut for Intel Data Migration Software: On another topic, I mentioned that Intel RST was making my BD/DVD drive disappear. I also read that the Intel Optane Memory and Storage Management was playing havoc with users' systems. I uninstalled Intel RST and gained use of the SSD attached to the Optane board. I...
  6. File History Migration

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    File History Migration: I have a File History folder from a previous Windows version8.1 and would like to restore the latest version of ALL files in that folder. From my testing and screwing around, it looks like I have to go through and restore piece at a time from every save datetime to accomplish...
  7. Shortcut files

Shortcut files: Convert shortcut files to workable document https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shortcut-files/82ff0a30-bf63-4e63-93c4-6b1cacefa33c
  8. Files Migration

Files Migration: I have created another User on my laptop. How can I migrate all my files from the old user to the new one? Is there an app I can use to conveniently migrate my files? If there is already existing procedure, pls provide such. Thanks for whatever help you can provide....
  9. Files Migration

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Files Migration: My laptop has Windows 10 v1803 64-bit https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/files-migration/42baafca-596e-4d5d-98bd-c911d87d1b7b
  10. file migration

file migration: Intermediate level tech capabilities. Looking for easiest way to move data, settings, a few programs from one laptop to another both Windows 10 based systems. Looked at PCMover software site. Thanks....