Windows 10: Migrating from 2016 Surface Laptop 1 to custom built PC with nothing installed.

Discus and support Migrating from 2016 Surface Laptop 1 to custom built PC with nothing installed. in Windows 10 Gaming to solve the problem; I have a new custom-built PC. I need to move everything from my old computer Surface Laptop 1-original to the new one. I want to stay on Win 10 until I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Gaming' started by Second Greatest Mom, Mar 7, 2023.

1. Migrating from 2016 Surface Laptop 1 to custom built PC with nothing installed.

I have a new custom-built PC. I need to move everything from my old computer Surface Laptop 1-original to the new one. I want to stay on Win 10 until I have all of the stuff onto my new computer then upgrade to Win 11 eventually. Nothing is on my new system. I now have a 2TB HD. What do I need to do first?

:)

Second Greatest Mom, Mar 7, 2023
  2. Brink Win User

Boot Surface Laptop to USB - no Volume button

Hello Jimmy, Migrating from 2016 Surface Laptop 1 to custom built PC with nothing installed. :)

This doesn't list the "Surface Laptop", but you might give it a try to see.

*Arrow Boot Microsoft Surface from a USB device

Otherwise, you should be able to use OPTION ONE below to boot from the USB from advanced startup.

*Arrow Boot from USB Drive on Windows 10 PC Windows 10 Installation Upgrade Tutorials

Brink, Mar 7, 2023
  3. Brink Win User
    New Firmware Update for Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book January 2016

Source: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 update history | Surface firmware updates

Source: Microsoft Surface Book update history | Surface firmware updates

Brink, Mar 7, 2023
  4. Migrating from 2016 Surface Laptop 1 to custom built PC with nothing installed.

Problem updating Windows Surface Pro 4 with Windows 10 feature updates

Hi,

I have manage to install image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 by going to https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...erecoveryimage and download a recovery image for Microsoft Surface Pro 4.

What I did to reset your Surface from a USB recovery drive was:
    Step 1: Make sure your Surface is turned off and plugged in (hold down the power
    button for 30 seconds).
    Step 2: Insert the USB recovery drive into the USB port on your Surface.
    Step 3: Press and hold the volume-down button while you press and release the
    power button on your Surface.
    Step 4: When the Surface logo appears, release the volume button.
    Step 5: When prompted, select the language and keyboard layout you want.
    Step 6: Select Troubleshoot > Reset your PC.
    If prompted for a recovery key, select Skip this drive at the bottom of the
    screen.
    Step 7: Select the target operating system you wish to reset. This
    refers to the current operating system installed on your Surface.
    Step 8: Select Yes, repartition the drives, and on the next page, select Next.
    Step 9: Choose Just remove my files.
    Step 10: Select Reset.
    Surface restarts and the Surface logo displays while the reset process continues
    (this can take a while).

This always fails and I have to do the below which continues installation.
    Windows 10 Installation Media:

1. Insert the Media (DVD/USB) in your PC and restart.
    2. Boot from the media.
    3. Select Repair Your Computer.
    Select Troubleshoot.

1. Choose Command Prompt from the menu:
    Type in the command:
    Diskpart
    Type in the command:
    List disk (Note which disk is your Boot drive number mine is 0)
    Type in the command:
    Sel disk 0
    Type in the command:
    List vol (Note which volume is the EFI partition mine is 4)
    Type in the command:
    Sel vol 4
    Type in the command:
    assign letter=V:
    Type in the command:
    Exit
    Type in the command:
    V:
    After you have assigned a drive letter Using Diskpart You can format the EFI partition:
    Example: if you assigned a letter V to the partition the command would be:
    format V: /FS:FAT32
    Type in the command:
    bcdboot C:\windows /s V: /f UEFI

Now I have an issue that I cannot install Feature Updates. They keep failing to install.
    Any ideas how to resolve issue?

jaburmester, Mar 7, 2023
Thema:

Migrating from 2016 Surface Laptop 1 to custom built PC with nothing installed.

1. Migrating from 2016 Surface Laptop 1 to custom built PC with nothing installed. - Similar Threads - Migrating 2016 Surface

2. Surface to custom built desktop

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Surface to custom built desktop: I purchased the Surface Laptop Version 1 x64 in 2016 with Win 10 preinstalled. I was previously using a Dell xps x64 running Win 7 pro and Office Pro 2016 included Access and Publisher off the shelf. I reinstalled the Office Pro 2016 on the Surface running Win 10 - no...
  3. Surface to custom built desktop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Surface to custom built desktop: I purchased the Surface Laptop Version 1 x64 in 2016 with Win 10 preinstalled. I was previously using a Dell xps x64 running Win 7 pro and Office Pro 2016 included Access and Publisher off the shelf. I reinstalled the Office Pro 2016 on the Surface running Win 10 - no...
  4. Surface to custom built desktop

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Migrating from 2016 Surface Laptop 1 to custom built PC with nothing installed.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrating from 2016 Surface Laptop 1 to custom built PC with nothing installed.: I have a new custom-built PC. I need to move everything from my old computer Surface Laptop 1-original to the new one. I want to stay on Win 10 until I have all of the stuff onto my new computer then upgrade to Win 11 eventually. Nothing is on my new system. I now have a 2TB...
  6. Migrating from 2016 Surface Laptop 1 to custom built PC with nothing installed.

Migrating from 2016 Surface Laptop 1 to custom built PC with nothing installed.: I have a new custom-built PC. I need to move everything from my old computer Surface Laptop 1-original to the new one. I want to stay on Win 10 until I have all of the stuff onto my new computer then upgrade to Win 11 eventually. Nothing is on my new system. I now have a 2TB...
  7. Installing windows 10 on custom built PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Installing windows 10 on custom built PC: I’m trying to install Windows 10 operating system to my custom built PC. However, when I select the 64 bit, I get stuck on a screen with a black background the blue windows logo, and the white dots make a complete circle twice before they get frozen and stop moving. Why does...
  8. Installing windows 10 on custom built PC

Installing windows 10 on custom built PC: I’m trying to install Windows 10 operating system to my custom built PC. However, when I select the 64 bit, I get stuck on a screen with a black background the blue windows logo, and the white dots make a complete circle twice before they get frozen and stop moving. Why does...
  9. Installing windows 10 on custom built PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  10. Office 2016 - Custom Install

in Microsoft Office and 365
    Office 2016 - Custom Install: I have used various Office product throughout the years and on install had the opportunity to "Custom Install" which allowed all types of changes from programme file locations to programmes to be loaded. My (detachable) laptop has a limited hard-drive size, and I would like...