Windows 10: Migrating from HDD to SSD using free Macrium Reflect

Discus and support Migrating from HDD to SSD using free Macrium Reflect in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I am getting ready to add an M.2 275GB SSD to my Acer Aspire E5-575-33BM which came with a 1TB 5400 HDD and Windows 10 Home preinstalled. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by nitewulf, Feb 20, 2018.

1. nitewulf Win User

Migrating from HDD to SSD using free Macrium Reflect

I am getting ready to add an M.2 275GB SSD to my Acer Aspire E5-575-33BM which came with a 1TB 5400 HDD and Windows 10 Home preinstalled. I have browsed forums and watched several tutorials on YouTube. Here is my question before I start. One video showed moving the OS partition last in Macrium to the target drive. The video author said that 2 things will happen if you don't: 1) the drive will not boot and 2) you will need to resize partitions.
    Another video said just the opposite: you must move all partitions in order, resizing if you must. The author said if you don't, the integrity of the recovery files will be compromised in case you need them in the future. I have already made a backup of the 1TB drive to a 32GB flash drive so i will have the files in any case for recovery. So, when dragging the partitions in Macrium to the target (SSD) drive prior to cloning, my question is which is correct? To drag them in exact order or is it best to drag the OS partition last? I'm trying to head off trouble prior to starting. After cloning, I plan to temporarily remove the i1TB HDD and hopefully boot to the SSD which would then assign it as Drive C if all goes well. I can then reinstall the 1TB HDD and reformat as a data drive. Since the optical drive is D, the HDD would then become E which is ok.

:)

nitewulf, Feb 20, 2018

2. How do I migrate my OS to an SSD

You can use Macrium Reflect (free).

Macrium Software | Your Image is Everything

It is often recommended by users for HDD to SDD migration.

Cbarnhorst, Feb 20, 2018
  3. BossDweeb Win User
    Windows 10 Creators Edition

"AEOMI Backupper which is a free download but wont clone the drive without paying for it!"

Where did you get that idea ? The have a free and pay for version which has extra features, but you can

clone Windows with the free version. They use the term 'migrate' rather than clone, and they also use the phrase

'migrate OS to SSD', but you can migrate/clone to HDD as well.

Free Partition Manager - AOMEI Partition Assistant Standard

btw - Macrium Reflect also have a free version.

BossDweeb, Feb 20, 2018
  4. CountMike New Member

I did it several times this way.
    Make old disk's image on another disk.
    Boot from MR bootable restore USB.
    Restore image to new disk.
    Adjust partition sizes if different than in original disk.
    Change default boot disk in BIOS.
    If switching from a HDD to SSD with SSD's SATA port is set to AHCI mode, MR adjusts everything to suit SSD.

CountMike, Feb 21, 2018
  5. nitewulf Win User
    Thanks for the suggestion, CountMike. I installed the M.2 SSD and decided to just use the supplied Acronis to clone the SSD.
    There was only about 58 GBs used on the HDD, so it only took a few minutes. All I had to do after shutdown was go into the bios and change the boot priority. Then I simply reformatted the HDD which was now Drive E. My only regret is that I didn't get a 500Gb SSD. Crucial's 275 GB SSD is actually 254 and after th clone I now have 195 free. That should work though as I already have the core programs I want installed and the 1TB HDD will be for media storage.

nitewulf, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Migrating from HDD to SSD using free Macrium Reflect - Similar Threads - Migrating HDD SSD

2. Problem Cloning HDD to SSD with Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problem Cloning HDD to SSD with Macrium Reflect Free: Hi Everyone! My new post today is a follow up from this thread where I had successfully cloned my Hard Disk Drive to an SSD Drive with the same capacity of 1 TB. However, this post isn't about my computer, as it's still working like a racehorse with the newly installed SSD....
  3. Macrium Reflect Free for Failed HDD Mirroring

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Macrium Reflect Free for Failed HDD Mirroring: I have reactivated a main drive from my failed machine. I want to mirror the critical files on that drive. I think I have a handle on the partitions, as I show below. My question is...is there a need to mirror any other / or all the other partitions besides then the G:...
  4. Version 7 of Macrium Reflect Free

Version 7 of Macrium Reflect Free: On the Macrium Reflect Forums, they state that Macrium Reflect Free Version 7 will be available by end of June. 85239
  5. Alternative to Macrium Reflect Free?

Alternative to Macrium Reflect Free?: Can anyone recommend an alternative to Macrium Reflect Free as a backup tool? I want something that does disk imaging, as opposed to just backing up files. I have been fighting with Reflect Free on two computers and have got to the point where, even if I ever do get it...
  6. Macrium Reflect and SSD drive

Macrium Reflect and SSD drive: I want to add a SSD Drive SAMSUNG 850 PRO 2.5" 256GB SATA III 3-D Vertical Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-7KE256BW to my computer. I have done a system image of my WD drive,will I be able to install the image to the SSD drive? The WD drive has a partition on it that is...
  7. Macrium Reflect free

Macrium Reflect free: Hi guys ,so I am using macrium free for backing up my laptop windows 10 pro which do not contain any dvd rom.i have a 252 gb external hard disk which I would like to use for creating the recovery disk or iso. my problem is that I do not want to use the full 250 gb for this...
  8. Macrium reflect free

Macrium reflect free: Now it will not reinstall saying it cannot find the target I am going to run sfc then dism
  9. Macrium reflect free compatibility

Macrium reflect free compatibility: Short question are the images produced on reflect 5.1 compatible with 6.Long question: I have backed up my laptop over wireless to a network drive. Laptop is running xp and networked desktop is running win 10. I plan to change my laptop hard drive to an SSD but need to...
  10. Macrium Reflect Free

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Macrium Reflect Free: Good Day All just curious if this looks right [img] the fourth section of my C: drive is all red meaning full (almost) is this normal Thanks in ADV for any info 97310

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to migrate os image from c drive to d drive maccrium reflect

2. macrium reflect migrate to ssd

3. migrate os to ssd with macrium

4. macrium reflect migrate os,
  5. migrate hdd to ssd reflect,
  6. os migration macrium,
  7. ng ssd with macrium reflect,
  8. how to migrate os to ssd using macrium,
  9. macrium ssd migration,
  10. macrium reflect migrate os to ssd,
  11. how to migrate windows 10 to ssd with macrium,