Windows 10: Migrating from Windows live mail to Windows 10 mail

Discus and support Migrating from Windows live mail to Windows 10 mail in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I am moving to a new PC - old and new PCs both running the latest Windows 10. I am currently running Windows live Mail yes, I should have moved from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Inngrob, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Inngrob Win User

Migrating from Windows live mail to Windows 10 mail

I am moving to a new PC - old and new PCs both running the latest Windows 10.

I am currently running Windows live Mail yes, I should have moved from this a long time ago - no lectures please!. Following the Microsoft advice, I should move to Windows 10 Mail if for no other reason than WLM is no longer available either in Windows 10 or to download from Microsoft. And anyway, as WLM is no longer supported I do not want to continue with it.

I am not using an Outlook.com email address nor do I want to.

As Microsoft want me to move to Windows 10 mail, I thought the migration would be simple. But as I have not found one link showing me how to migrate from WLM on my old PC to Windows 10 Mail on my new PC, I assume it is not possible! Is it actually true that you cannot import emails into Windows 10 Mail?? I have nor found an import option in settings!!

Is this really true? Does Microsoft really not provide a pathway to migrate between 2 of their email clients???

:)

Inngrob, Jan 19, 2020
  2. Kreij Win User

Windows Mail

Yes, Windows mail (on Vista) is almost identical to Windows Live Mail (which I use here at work on XP), and have multiple accounts set up.

Windows Live Mail has one of the best out-of-the-box spam detectors I have ever seen in an e-mail client, and of course, it's free.

The one thing I like about WLM over Windows Mail on Vista, is that WLM does not use popup box verification when you delete the entire junk mailbox (it does, however, on the deleted mailbox). If I hit the delete key for a whole mailbox, I mean it. Honestly, you don't have to ask me if I am sure about what I am doing.

Kreij, Jan 19, 2020
  3. Dilbert Win User
    Windows Live Mail by Windows 7

Dear All,

Core i3 with Windows 7 Home. Recently swapped the HD
    due to crash & reinstalled Win 7 including WLM (Windows
    Live Mail). I encountered 3 problems while configuring
    my account & restoring the (previously exported) inbox.

1/ A family member of mine used my system to check his e-mail.
    To do this he created a second account in WLM in order to read
    his hotmail e-mail traffic. I have now deleted the account but
    when WLM is launched i repeatedly get a login window
    containing the details of the family member's e-mail address
    instead of my details. How can i clear this and make sure that
    when WLM is launched only my e-mail addres is visible?

2/ Mijn account is configured to remember its password,
    and enable immediate access of my mails.
    Despite of this i get a login window when WLM is started.
    When i fill out e-mailaddress & password and press enter
    the account is not recognised and WLM pretends that e-mail
    address or password are wrong. Nevertheless i can see the headers
    of my e-mails and if i close the login window i can also access & read
    the e-mails.. How can i remove the login window permanently?

3/ I'd like to disable the option "leave copy on server" Where can i find
    this option in WLM?

Thanks in advance,
    Dilbert

Dilbert, Jan 19, 2020
  4. Migrating from Windows live mail to Windows 10 mail

Windows 10 Mail App: Migrate from Windows Live Mail?

When I upgraded my wife's PC I expected her Windows Live Mail settings and data to be migrated to the Windows 10 Mail App, and for this app to become the default.

Is this migration possible?

Having said that, I'm not sure I've even found the Mail app!

nigelmercier, Jan 19, 2020
Thema:

Migrating from Windows live mail to Windows 10 mail

1. Migrating from Windows live mail to Windows 10 mail - Similar Threads - Migrating live mail

2. When migrating mail into Outlook client from Windows Mail/Live Mail, do 'originals' stay...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    When migrating mail into Outlook client from Windows Mail/Live Mail, do 'originals' stay...: In an attempt to recover old emails in Windows Live Mail, files that were 'corrupted' during a Windows Update, I've discovered that Outlook can easily open the WLM .eml files, although WLM no longer can. It's as if the headers, or whatever, that make up the WLM list of Inbox...
  3. When migrating mail into Outlook client from Windows Mail/Live Mail, do 'originals' stay...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    When migrating mail into Outlook client from Windows Mail/Live Mail, do 'originals' stay...: In an attempt to recover old emails in Windows Live Mail, files that were 'corrupted' during a Windows Update, I've discovered that Outlook can easily open the WLM .eml files, although WLM no longer can. It's as if the headers, or whatever, that make up the WLM list of Inbox...
  4. Migrate from Windws Live Mail to Windows10 Mail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrate from Windws Live Mail to Windows10 Mail: My PC has just forced an update toWindows10 which hast stopped Live Mail sending to or receiving from my BT.com email accounts. Can I:* transfer accounts Windows 10 Mail app* transfer stored emails to Mail* get Live Mail working under Windows 10?Or do I uninstall the...
  5. New computer... migrate Windows Live mail to Windows 10 Mail app

in Browsers and Email
    New computer... migrate Windows Live mail to Windows 10 Mail app: I'm doing an upgrade on my mother in laws computer. New mainboard, etc... She was running Windows 10 Pro 64bit, upgraded in place from Windows 7 Pro 64bit. She was using Windows Live Mail as her email client. Now that we have a fresh installation of Windows 10, I find that...
  6. Import contacts from Live Mail to Mail on Windows 10

Import contacts from Live Mail to Mail on Windows 10: I have my contacts from Live Mail in a cvs file...how do I import them into my new computer with Mail on Windows 10? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/import-contacts-from-live-mail-to-mail-on-windows/2edaa469-79ac-4cf7-84d8-99d65a999e77
  7. Mails from Windows Live Mail to Mail

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Mails from Windows Live Mail to Mail: Hi, How to get old mails and mail folders from "Windows live Mail" & "Outlook 2007" to "Mail" app in Windows 10. Thanks Prashant https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/mails-from-windows-live-mail-to-mail/22773ad1-1b23-486e-bcae-3143c4216a58
  8. Windows 10 Mail App: Import from Windows Live Mail?

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 Mail App: Import from Windows Live Mail?: I've seen this question asked several times, but no satisfactory answer. I refuse to believe that Microsoft would have omitted this basic function. How does one Import from Windows Live Mail into the Windows 10 Mail App? 24354
  9. Windows 10 Mail App: Migrate from Windows Live Mail?

in Browsers and Email
    Windows 10 Mail App: Migrate from Windows Live Mail?: When I upgraded my wife's PC I expected her Windows Live Mail settings and data to be migrated to the Windows 10 Mail App, and for this app to become the default. Is this migration possible? Having said that, I'm not sure I've even found the Mail app! 9876
  10. Windows Live mail and Mail 10 question

Windows Live mail and Mail 10 question: My 10 mail stopped download to my accounts on 9-1-16, but my windows live mail is still working, which is a good thing. When I did the free upgrade to 10 from win 7 in late July I was pleased to see that I had both WLM and Mail10, but 10 is not loading any more mail....