Windows 10: Migrating HDD to New PC

Discus and support Migrating HDD to New PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello all, I will be building a new PC to replace my current one soon. I intend to remove the HDD from my current PC, which has Windows 10 OS on it,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KeithHibbert, Feb 14, 2019 at 5:12 AM.

1. Migrating HDD to New PC

Hello all,

I will be building a new PC to replace my current one soon. I intend to remove the HDD from my current PC, which has Windows 10 OS on it, and place it in my new build. Once there I would like to clone it onto an SSD and use that in the future for the boot drive. Is this possible?

:)

KeithHibbert, Feb 14, 2019 at 5:12 AM

2. Installing a new HDD to replace a HDD of the same size that failed.

I have a Windows 10 OS installed on my C: drive. I had data stored on an HDD designated as D: drive. That second drive failed and was replaced by a new HDD. Both are the same size and type of drives, except different manufactures. The new HDD is not
    listed in File Explorer. It is listed in Computer Management under Device Manager as a Disk drive. Disk Management under Storage does not list the new HDD.

I have tested the new HDD with software downloaded from the manufacture and it has passed all tests. At least that software was able to access the new drive and perform low level tests to see if it is operational.

Looking at the events log for this HDD, I find an event warning that says "Device ... was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match." Opening up the properties indicates drivers have been installed. Reading the volume information results in: "Volume
    information for this disk cannot be found"

I suspect that the problem with the volume information is associated with the warning in the event log. I removed the HDD, restarted the PC then shut it down to start the installation process over again. No change in the event log or status of the new
    HDD. Can anyone suggest how I can get past that warning?

RonTognazzini, Feb 14, 2019 at 5:15 AM
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

4. slance310 Win User

Migrating HDD to New PC

Migrate Windows 10 from HDD to SSD - cannot Reset This PC from partition

Hi,

Yes... that is what I have been suggesting all along...

You need to make a bootable CD from thr link I provided, boot with it, and save an image of the entire original HDD to your 3rd HDD...

Then restore the image to your new HDD... It may work a lot better than the one you migrated...

Thema:

Migrating HDD to New PC

1. Migrating HDD to New PC - Similar Threads - Migrating HDD

2. Migrating Windows 10 from an existing HDD to a new SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating Windows 10 from an existing HDD to a new SSD: I have Installed a new WD SSD on my Asus S15 S510UN Laptop. I have been trying to identify possibilities of migrating my Windows 10 installation 'as it is' to my new WD SSD. I have tried using Acronis True Image WD Edition but am facing some issues with the installation. The...
  3. Laptop wont boot after migrating os form HDD to SSD

Laptop wont boot after migrating os form HDD to SSD: I want to upgrade to windows 10 in 2 stages . 1) Migrate Windows 7 OS and Programs from HDD to SSD 2) Upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10 After migrating the OS ( Windows 7 ) and Programs from HDD to SSD using Minitool Partition wizard , the computer wont boot after I...
  4. 1TB HDD not Migrated

in Windows 10 Customization
    1TB HDD not Migrated: Why am I seeing this error? New 1TB HDD, and why is Windows not letting me use the HDD. Device SCSI\Disk&Ven_ST4000DM&Prod_000-1F2168\4&1f5e0e69&0&040000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match. Last Device Instance Id:...
  5. Using mini tool partition wizard to migrate from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Using mini tool partition wizard to migrate from HDD to SSD: I notice there is a migrate OS to SSD option in Mini tool partition wizard. What I want to do is to move only the System and C partition ( which contain Windows 10 and programs ) to the SSD. The HDD capacity is 1 TB vs 500GB for the SSD The HDD is partitioned into System (...
  6. After migrating from HDD to SSD hardware acting strangely

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    After migrating from HDD to SSD hardware acting strangely: Hi, I finally saved some money so I bought Kingston A400 240 GB SSD. I installed fresh install of Windows 10 and installed all drivers as usual. But a lot of thing started behaving strangely. Problems with Win10 not being able to recognise SSD is sort of figured out, the...
  7. Migrated from HDD to SSD - Unable to Reset

Migrated from HDD to SSD - Unable to Reset: Hi Guys, I was using a HP Pavilion P-045tx (4th Gen i7, 8 GB, 1 TB) which came with windows 8.1 pre-installed. It got updated to Windows 10 Home Single Language 64 bit later. Due to the 100% disk issue and lag in the overall running, I bought a Samsung Evo 860 256 GB SSD...
  8. Changed SATA ports SSD's and HDD: device not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changed SATA ports SSD's and HDD: device not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match: I recently cloned my old Kingston SSD to a new Samsung 860 EVO SSD and installed it into my desktop. When I installed it I just unplugged all of my SATA ports to take care of some cable management and they did not get plugged into the original ports. I have my boot SSD in...
  9. How to migrate windows 10 from HDD to SSD?

How to migrate windows 10 from HDD to SSD?: I installed my OS on my hard drive, but I just got an SSD. I want to migrate my os to the SSD, and aslo I wanted to migrate certain file (my Steam games). Not sure how to migrate the os or the particular files....
  10. Migrating from HDD to SSD using free Macrium Reflect

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Migrating from HDD to SSD using free Macrium Reflect: I am getting ready to add an M.2 275GB SSD to my Acer Aspire E5-575-33BM which came with a 1TB 5400 HDD and Windows 10 Home preinstalled. I have browsed forums and watched several tutorials on YouTube. Here is my question before I start. One video showed moving the OS...