Windows 10: Migrating HDD to New PC

Discus and support Migrating HDD to New PC in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hello all, I will be building a new PC to replace my current one soon. I intend to remove the HDD from my current PC, which has Windows 10 OS on it,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KeithHibbert, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Migrating HDD to New PC

Hello all,

I will be building a new PC to replace my current one soon. I intend to remove the HDD from my current PC, which has Windows 10 OS on it, and place it in my new build. Once there I would like to clone it onto an SSD and use that in the future for the boot drive. Is this possible?

:)

KeithHibbert, Feb 14, 2019

2. Installing a new HDD to replace a HDD of the same size that failed.

I have a Windows 10 OS installed on my C: drive. I had data stored on an HDD designated as D: drive. That second drive failed and was replaced by a new HDD. Both are the same size and type of drives, except different manufactures. The new HDD is not
    listed in File Explorer. It is listed in Computer Management under Device Manager as a Disk drive. Disk Management under Storage does not list the new HDD.

I have tested the new HDD with software downloaded from the manufacture and it has passed all tests. At least that software was able to access the new drive and perform low level tests to see if it is operational.

Looking at the events log for this HDD, I find an event warning that says "Device ... was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match." Opening up the properties indicates drivers have been installed. Reading the volume information results in: "Volume
    information for this disk cannot be found"

I suspect that the problem with the volume information is associated with the warning in the event log. I removed the HDD, restarted the PC then shut it down to start the installation process over again. No change in the event log or status of the new
    HDD. Can anyone suggest how I can get past that warning?

RonTognazzini, Feb 14, 2019
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    unlock hdd

Hi Johan,

It is possible that your
    HDD was unreadable
    causing the error message to appear. We recommend that you perform these troubleshooting steps and check if there are any changes:

• Shutdown
      your
      PC.

• Unhooked
      the
      HDD
      and
      turn on
      your
      PC.

• Reconnect
      your
      HDD
      and
      restart
      your
      PC.

If the issue persists, we suggest that you contact your
    laptop/computer's manufacturer
    for further assistance.

Update us on how it goes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, Feb 14, 2019
  4. slance310 Win User

Migrating HDD to New PC

Migrate Windows 10 from HDD to SSD - cannot Reset This PC from partition

Hi,

Yes... that is what I have been suggesting all along...

You need to make a bootable CD from thr link I provided, boot with it, and save an image of the entire original HDD to your 3rd HDD...

Then restore the image to your new HDD... It may work a lot better than the one you migrated...

slance310, Feb 14, 2019
Thema:

Migrating HDD to New PC

1. Migrating HDD to New PC - Similar Threads - Migrating HDD

2. What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?: I installed a new nVME m.2 SSD in my HP laptop and I then migrated the Windows data from HDD to SSD. I also changed the boot order from HDD to SSD. But now there exists a 200 GB Windows file in my HDD which is the old Windows boot file.Can anyone tell me If I can delete this...
  3. What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    What to do with the old Windows file in HDD after migrating to SSD?: I installed a new nVME m.2 SSD in my HP laptop and I then migrated the Windows data from HDD to SSD. I also changed the boot order from HDD to SSD. But now there exists a 200 GB Windows file in my HDD which is the old Windows boot file.Can anyone tell me If I can delete this...
  4. I am trying to move from HDD to SSD by migrating my OS, now the issue is I'm unable to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I am trying to move from HDD to SSD by migrating my OS, now the issue is I'm unable to...: I am trying to move from HDD to SSD by migrating my OS, now the issue is I'm unable to enter BIOS as my keyboard doesn't work in BIOS how should I choose my SSD as boot drive. I bought Torosus SSDI have TOSHIBA HDD I am using Minitool partition wizard to migrate my OS from...
  5. I am trying to move from HDD to SSD by migrating my OS, now the issue is I'm unable to...

I am trying to move from HDD to SSD by migrating my OS, now the issue is I'm unable to...: I am trying to move from HDD to SSD by migrating my OS, now the issue is I'm unable to enter BIOS as my keyboard doesn't work in BIOS how should I choose my SSD as boot drive. I bought Torosus SSDI have TOSHIBA HDD I am using Minitool partition wizard to migrate my OS from...
  6. Ok so i just done a data migration from an hdd to a sdd, and replace the old hdd with the...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Ok so i just done a data migration from an hdd to a sdd, and replace the old hdd with the...: I entered the bios but it's different from the other bios which i saw on yt videos.It's like:InsydeH20 Setup Utility, but like this:And I basically can't try any of the different solutions i've found online...Please help me...
  7. Ok so i just done a data migration from an hdd to a sdd, and replace the old hdd with the...

Ok so i just done a data migration from an hdd to a sdd, and replace the old hdd with the...: I entered the bios but it's different from the other bios which i saw on yt videos.It's like:InsydeH20 Setup Utility, but like this:And I basically can't try any of the different solutions i've found online...Please help me...
  8. Ok so i just done a data migration from an hdd to a sdd, and replace the old hdd with the...

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. How to migrate windows to a ssd while keeping all data on my original hdd

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How to migrate windows to a ssd while keeping all data on my original hdd: I currently have a 1tb hard drive that I've used for a few years. Recently I got a new ssd that is also 1tb and I would like to run windows on it. How would I move windows to the ssd while keeping all my data on the hard drive?...
  10. How to migrate windows to a ssd while keeping all data on my original hdd

How to migrate windows to a ssd while keeping all data on my original hdd: I currently have a 1tb hard drive that I've used for a few years. Recently I got a new ssd that is also 1tb and I would like to run windows on it. How would I move windows to the ssd while keeping all my data on the hard drive?...