Windows 10: Migrating OS from a small SSD to a larger SSD

Discus and support Migrating OS from a small SSD to a larger SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I have purchased a larger SSD to replace the existing one that I am using for my OS. I have downloaded a couple of different kinds of software to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by KnoticalSwag, Dec 21, 2019.

1. Migrating OS from a small SSD to a larger SSD

I have purchased a larger SSD to replace the existing one that I am using for my OS. I have downloaded a couple of different kinds of software to handle this but I have some issues. For one which is called "Minitool Partition Wizard Free 11.6" there is an option to Migrate OS to SSD/HD Wizard. When I click on this, however, I get an error stating "Because the bootable volume and system volume are not on the same disk. Migrate OS to SSD/HD Wizard cannot be launched. Sorry."

I am not sure why this is occurring as I don't recall setting up the OS any other way than to just put it all on one disk.

I have also downloaded "EaseUS Partition Master", but will not give me the option to select the actual disk that has my OS on it as the source.

My main question is will it be possible to clone the OS disk onto the new disk without running into licensing issues as long as I wipe the old drive once the cloning is complete?

:)

KnoticalSwag, Dec 21, 2019
  2. Doomtime Win User

Migrate Windows 10 to SSD

I recently upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. My Windows 8.1 was originally installed on a small SSD in my laptop. When I upgraded to Windows 10, it installed to my larger HDD. Is there a way to migrate my OS to the SSD without having to uninstall
    all my program files?

Doomtime, Dec 21, 2019
  3. Migrate OS to SSD

I cannot figure out how to move windows 10 os to new SSD. The C drive is not partitioned so the 1.8 TB drive is trying to migrate to the 500gb SSD, which it will not allow me to do. Is there a way to seperate just the OS from the C drive ?

DaveDe Liberato, Dec 21, 2019
  4. Migrating OS from a small SSD to a larger SSD

Transfer or clone OS from one SSD to larger new SSD

I currently have windows 10 home on my computer and i want to clone the boot drive SSD (250 Gb) to a new larger 500Gb SSD and have that as my. Boot drive. Which migration software works best with windows 10, free or otherwise. They are Samsung SSD's so
    i was just going to try their migration software that comes with the new SSD. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

PeterDureska, Dec 21, 2019
Thema:

Migrating OS from a small SSD to a larger SSD

1. Migrating OS from a small SSD to a larger SSD - Similar Threads - Migrating small SSD

2. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD: Hi,If I just migrate my Windows 10 from HDD to SSD but since my HDD has two other drives-D & E, besides C; so after that, if I change the boot option to SSD from HDD as shown above, will the data on drives D & E of my HDD will be formatted as well since I'm just migrating my...
  3. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD: Hi,If I just migrate my Windows 10 from HDD to SSD but since my HDD has two other drives-D & E, besides C; so after that, if I change the boot option to SSD from HDD as shown above, will the data on drives D & E of my HDD will be formatted as well since I'm just migrating my...
  4. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Migrating Windows from small SSD to large SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrating Windows from small SSD to large SSD: Hi all,I need to replace my current C drive SSD too small with a larger SSD. Windows updates are resource pigs and I'm almost out of space. I've read several articles and it seems it either takes two or three simple steps using the free Macrium Clone function or the Windows...
  6. Migrating OS to SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating OS to SSD: To keep it short: Migrating OS from HDD to SSD. Problem is the EFI boot partition (16 Mb) and another unnamed partition are on the SSD. Somehow, the main Windows files are on the C: drive (HDD) and the boot is on the SSD. Aside from that, nothing else on the solid drive....
  7. Trouble migrating OS to an SSD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Trouble migrating OS to an SSD: So, last week I got myself an SSD to use in my desktop PC. And when I try to migrate the whole OS with all my files and installed applications using Macrium. I get an error when I try to boot from the SSD, after all the copying process. And whatever I try doesn't help. Does...
  8. migrating OS to new ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    migrating OS to new ssd: How can I migrate my os to my new ssd without going through any updates and so forth? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migrating-os-to-new-ssd/e6936d37-08ae-469a-b831-f77b68db6072
  9. Migrate OS to SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrate OS to SSD: I cannot figure out how to move windows 10 os to new SSD. The C drive is not partitioned so the 1.8 TB drive is trying to migrate to the 500gb SSD, which it will not allow me to do. Is there a way to seperate just the OS from the C drive ?...
  10. 2 ssd migration to larger m2 ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    2 ssd migration to larger m2 ssd: hi I have a pc with 1 m2 ssd drive on which win 10 is active how do I transfer everything including win 10 on it to the newer bigger drive and use the bigger one as a replacement c drive I don't have the product key as win was pre installed...