Windows 10: Migrating OS from RAID 0 to a single SSD

Discus and support Migrating OS from RAID 0 to a single SSD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Okay. I have been doing a lot of cloning and migrating an OS before but I haven't done cloning or migrating an OS from dual drives in RAID 0 mode.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by badrobot, Jan 25, 2016.

1. badrobot Win User

Migrating OS from RAID 0 to a single SSD

Okay. I have been doing a lot of cloning and migrating an OS before but I haven't done cloning or migrating an OS from dual drives in RAID 0 mode.

It's not my PC. Someone is just asking for my help. Is it a different approach or is it just like working on a single drive? Can Macrium handle this?

Any input and sharing of personal experience is much appreciated.

Btw, I know clean install is the best way to go, but I was told by the PC owner that she can't afford to install all her programs back due to time issues, etc.

Cheers!

:)

badrobot, Jan 25, 2016
  2. TEH2718 Win User

Windows 10 upgraded to wrong version (Home instead of Pro)

My problem is a little different: I have a PC (Alienware/Dell) that runs one app, dedicated. Because of app performance problems, I decided to move to Windows 10 Pro. While my PC had an upgrade from Windows 8.1 Pro "in-place" option, I preferred to buy
    OEM Windows 10 Pro DVD (I'm old school).

My hardware includes 32GB RAM, RAID 0 SSD, 1TB HDD. I saved the original RAID 0 drives, bought a new SSD and installed Windows 10 Pro, no problem. Testing my application, I saw some performance degradation due to the single SSD. So, I purchased another
    SSD and re-installed Windows 10 on the new RAID 0 config.

Windows 10 Home installed on the new config. Windows 10 Pro installed on the single SSD install. The same config that ran Windows 8.1 Pro.

My disk pkg is labeled "Windows 10 Pro." I just want to do a clean OS install with what I paid for (twice).... btw, I tried to replace the product key to no avail.

Please help.

TEH2718, Jan 25, 2016
  3. Old SSDs finally failing; need to swap out

I have a custom-build computer with 2 128GB SSD drives sitting in a striped raid. I upgraded to Windows 10 while it was free from Windows 7.

I suspect one or both of the drives may be close to failing due to some weird behavior on the drives. Because the RAID is at the BIOS level I'm unable to check the drive health.

I want to replace the drives with a single non-raid SSD drive but I'm having trouble finding ways to migrate the installation over. Is there a way to backup my computer and restore it to the new hard drive?

Thanks!

Fernando Santa Cruz, Jan 25, 2016
  4. essenbe Win User

To the best of my knowledge and from my experience, it requires a clean install.

essenbe, Jan 25, 2016
  5. John035 Win User
    One of the reasons that I generally prefer a clean reinstall. If you don't have time for that, used EaseUS Todo Backup Free to mirror your OS drive and contents from RAID0 arrays to a single drive, and back again several times. Never had any problems.

John035, Jan 25, 2016
  6. badrobot Win User
    That is the first thing I told the person asking for help. But she said she had a lot of programs that she doesn't have time to reinstall and she had to go back and look for licenses/keys. She is using her desktop for everything including business. It's a bit slow right now and she just wanted to gain some speed by migrating to 1TB SSD. Clean install will be the last resort if I can convince her.

badrobot, Jan 25, 2016
  7. badrobot Win User
    Your input is very much appreciated. I've been using Macrium for the past years. I guess EaseUS is almost the same.

badrobot, Jan 25, 2016
  8. topgundcp Win User

Using Macrium, You should be able to restore to another single drive not setup as RAID. Click on Restore, select the backup image and choose a single drive as destination. Striping is performed by the Raid controller, not by Macrium, Macrium sees the destination as a single drive.

topgundcp, Jan 25, 2016
  9. badrobot Win User
    Thanks topgun.. yeah I figured that the Raid 0 only appears as one drive so it shouldn't be any different except when booting up on SSD. Need to set up the bios for ahci.

badrobot, Jan 25, 2016
  10. You don't have anything to lose, assuming you don't wipe the array. If it doesn't work, or you can't repair the SSD to boot properly, you can always roll back to the array.

DeaconFrost, Jan 25, 2016
  11. badrobot Win User
    Thanks! I will update you guys later whatever happened. *Smile

badrobot, Jan 26, 2016
  12. topgundcp Win User
    topgundcp, Jan 26, 2016
  13. badrobot Win User

***UPDATE***

This job is done. Although the USB Dock wasn't detected so I had to use the mini-duplicator with eSATA interface.
    Before booting up on SSD, I had to change the BIOS setting from RAID to AHCI. But it didn't end there. The boot manager cannot be detected so I had to interfere with Macrium boot fixer. Boom! Done.

Now the owner has 2 extra - 1TB drives.

Migrating OS from RAID 0 to a single SSD [​IMG]

badrobot, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Migrating OS from RAID 0 to a single SSD - Similar Threads - Migrating RAID single

2. Move Boot Raid-0 to Single SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Move Boot Raid-0 to Single SSD: My Win11 boot is two 500GB M.2 drives mounted as a RAID-0 array not my original choice - and they're running out of room. I want to change the boot to a new single 1TB SSD drive. I have three other internal HDDs mounted additional volumes and two external HDDs for backup and...
  3. Move Boot Raid-0 to Single SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Move Boot Raid-0 to Single SSD: My Win11 boot is two 500GB M.2 drives mounted as a RAID-0 array not my original choice - and they're running out of room. I want to change the boot to a new single 1TB SSD drive. I have three other internal HDDs mounted additional volumes and two external HDDs for backup and...
  4. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD: Hi,If I just migrate my Windows 10 from HDD to SSD but since my HDD has two other drives-D & E, besides C; so after that, if I change the boot option to SSD from HDD as shown above, will the data on drives D & E of my HDD will be formatted as well since I'm just migrating my...
  5. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD: Hi,If I just migrate my Windows 10 from HDD to SSD but since my HDD has two other drives-D & E, besides C; so after that, if I change the boot option to SSD from HDD as shown above, will the data on drives D & E of my HDD will be formatted as well since I'm just migrating my...
  6. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. Cloning a Windows installation (RAID 0) to single SSD (non-RAID) fails

Cloning a Windows installation (RAID 0) to single SSD (non-RAID) fails: Hi All, I've got a Windows 10 Home install running on a pair of 120GB SSDs running in RAID 0 (striped) - seemed like a good idea at the time.....ho-hum.... :/ Have now run out of space and want to move to a bigger (single) SSD. I used Macrium Reflect to clone the partitions...
  8. Raid 0 ssd drive

Raid 0 ssd drive: HI all Hope someone can help me. I have a desktop computer in raid 0 samsung ssd drive My problem I have is deleted pictures. I know that raid 0 ssd does not support trim on my p58 atx motherboard so if I delete a file I should be able to recover it? I deleted a...
  9. Migrating from single disk to Raid 1

Migrating from single disk to Raid 1: Hi all! Setting up my first Raid 1 NAS because I want redundancy for my important files. So here is my proposed plan. 1. I have a 3 TB drive with about 2 TB data on it - I'll call this the source disk. It has never been in an array, just a normal single disk. I purchase a...
  10. Defraggler + SSD raid 0

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Defraggler + SSD raid 0: So i've lived with this for alotta years. Its now on my short list of "things that irk me" to sort out. Ive waited iteration after iteration for piriform to sort it out. I've installed driver after driver for my raid controller. Different versions of windows. The problem...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. how to migrate from raid 5 drive set up to one ssd

2. migrate win 10 raid0 to single ssd

3. windows 10 migration to raid 0

4. how to move data from raid 0 to single ssd,
  5. Raid 0 boot drive out of space upgrade,
  6. move os from raid0 ssd,
  7. migrate raid to single disk,
  8. can i migrate from guid raid 0 to single disk,
  9. raid 0 migration to ssd