Windows 10: Migrating OS to new Hard Drive

Discus and support Migrating OS to new Hard Drive in Windows 10 Ask Insider to solve the problem; Okay, I think I need some help. I am trying to move my OS from a SSD that runs on SATA to a PCIe NVMe SSD. My motherboard has a native NVMe slot so I... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Ask Insider' started by /u/rubbyduckier, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Migrating OS to new Hard Drive

Okay, I think I need some help.

I am trying to move my OS from a SSD that runs on SATA to a PCIe NVMe SSD. My motherboard has a native NVMe slot so I was able to plug it in no problem. I can get a reading on the hard drive itself and I made a complete copy of it using Macrium Reflect Free, creating a backup drive of my normal SSD and putting all of that data on the new PCIe SSD.

I then changed the boot order in my bios to read my new SSD first, and then my HDD after, so the old SSD isn't even on the list.

But it still only boots from the old SSD and on the File Explorer I can tell that the OS is being read from that drive. If I disconnect the drive and then try to boot, it doesn't work. I am greeted with an error and can't go on (I unforuntately can't recall the exact verbage of the error). And if I boot with a bootable flash drive and the new SSD my only option is to install Windows onto that SSD. The repair option does not fix anything.

What should I try next? I don't necessarily want to reinstall Windows and start from scratch on this computer but I am aware that may become one of my option.

Does it matter what each of my hard drives is called? My old SSD is called C and my new one is called A

submitted by /u/rubbyduckier
    [link] [comments]

:)

/u/rubbyduckier, Jun 16, 2020
  2. little cat, Jun 16, 2020
  3. CVarga Win User
    Migrating a Windows 10 installation (OS, APPs, and settings) to a new hard drive on a laptop

Not positive this is the right forum area, but it looks like the best fit.

I wish to migrate my Windows 10 installation to a new larger hard disk drive. The challenge is that my laptop can only have one disk drive installed at a time, so many of the suggestions I found elsewhere which involved cloning software don't seem to be
    options for me. Ii am looking for suggestions as to the simplest and most reliable way to transfer my system, settings and apps to a new hard drive. Thanks in advance.

CVarga, Jun 16, 2020
  4. Migrating OS to new Hard Drive

Migrating to a new Hard Drive?

Things get easier when you use disk clone. To do this, follow the steps below:

1. Connect the new drive to your computer. Make sure that it can be detected by your PC.

2. Clone the old drive to the new drive. Many third party software can help you complete this task. If you know very little about them, you can turn to the full guide about

how to clone a hard drive

3. Change boot order in BIOS or replace the old hard drive to boot from the cloned drive.

Paper Plane-4567, Jun 16, 2020
Thema:

Migrating OS to new Hard Drive

1. Migrating OS to new Hard Drive - Similar Threads - Migrating Hard Drive

2. Repair a malfunctioning hard drive with new hard drive with new OS

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Repair a malfunctioning hard drive with new hard drive with new OS: Say if I had a hard drive that had issues booting OS. Specifically not booting windows or being detected as installed and command prompt remedies were of no help.So instead I decide to do it my way by getting a new hard drive, unplugging the old non-booting one, and plugging...
  3. Repair a malfunctioning hard drive with new hard drive with new OS

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Repair a malfunctioning hard drive with new hard drive with new OS: Say if I had a hard drive that had issues booting OS. Specifically not booting windows or being detected as installed and command prompt remedies were of no help.So instead I decide to do it my way by getting a new hard drive, unplugging the old non-booting one, and plugging...
  4. Computer won't boot after migrating the OS to a new hard drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer won't boot after migrating the OS to a new hard drive: When I bought my desktop, quite a while ago now, I tried to spec it to be future-proof, except for some reason I only got a 256G C: drive. So, after being annoyed for quite a while with not having enough space I cloned it today. I followed the steps in this article, except I...
  5. Hard Drive migration

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive migration: I have 2 lenovo all in 1 computers. One has broken screen so I want to use its 1tb hard drive to replace the 256gb hard drive in the other computer. Both have separate windows 10 licences. I have no data in either of the drives. What can I do? Thanks...
  6. Hard Drive migration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive migration: I have 2 lenovo all in 1 computers. One has broken screen so I want to use its 1tb hard drive to replace the 256gb hard drive in the other computer. Both have separate windows 10 licences. I have no data in either of the drives. What can I do? Thanks...
  7. Hard Drive migration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Migrating to a new Hard Drive?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrating to a new Hard Drive?: Hi Forum Folke, So my hard drive had a catastrophic failure... the machine won't boot from ANY source if the drive is plugged in. I put another much smaller drive from my last laptop into it, and suddenly now the machine boots from DVD. So, the drive is dead/trash/gone....
  9. migrate hard drive to new master hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    migrate hard drive to new master hard drive: i want to install anew ssd hard drive as the master drive and transfer all the information from my existing one to the new one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migrate-hard-drive-to-new-master-hard-drive/43dd4c49-1ea4-4ddc-a12f-71787dbba154
  10. New hard drive OS

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    New hard drive OS: I just installed a new hard drive that supposedly has Windows 10 Pro already activated on it. When I turn the computer on I get a message saying it is not bootable and to insert an OS CD. If I install new Windows 10 drivers, should the preloaded Windows work, or will I need...