Windows 10: Migrating to a new Hard Drive?

Discus and support Migrating to a new Hard Drive? in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Hi Forum Folke, So my hard drive had a catastrophic failure... the machine won't boot from ANY source if the drive is plugged in. I put another much... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by kharrisma, Apr 6, 2019.

1. kharrisma Win User

Migrating to a new Hard Drive?

Hi Forum Folke,

So my hard drive had a catastrophic failure... the machine won't boot from ANY source if the drive is plugged in. I put another much smaller drive from my last laptop into it, and suddenly now the machine boots from DVD. So, the drive is dead/trash/gone. Along with a lot of my stuff....

I've gone through a lot of trouble over the past couple of days, to get this thing back to where it was pre-crash. I've got a new large drive coming (1 TB), which will be nice, but I'm thinking I don't really want to go through all this again (especially the email.... what a pain in the posterior it was this time; maybe it's the newest Thunderbird iteration?).

I did make a rescue disc as Dell prompted me to do when the laptop arrived... wouldn't work with the dead drive in there, but did okay with this temporary drive. It never prompted me for anything, just hosed it in and good to go. I was half expecting it to ask for the product key (which I don't have, of course; Win10 came pre-installed), but nope. Strange.

Anyway is there a way to just transfer everything on this drive over to the new one when it arrives? Most of the 'solutions' I've found involve having a running version of Windows onboard, which I'm not going to have when I pull the drive and put the new one in.

I'm not looking to preserve data; I think what I want is an iso image (?) of the drive, so that the entire installation, OS and settings and everything, get transferred over and things work just like they did pre-transfer.

There's probably a simple way to do this, but if so, I haven't been able to find it yet. Thanks in advance for any ideas/directions!

:)

kharrisma, Apr 6, 2019
  2. Sanhime Win User

Cloning from 1TB to 2TB hard drive

Whats a good free imaging/cloning program? I have a 1TB hard drive with Win7 and I want to seamlessly migrate my stuff to a 2TB hard drive. Any suggestions?

Sanhime, Apr 6, 2019
  3. CVarga Win User
    Migrating a Windows 10 installation (OS, APPs, and settings) to a new hard drive on a laptop

Not positive this is the right forum area, but it looks like the best fit.

I wish to migrate my Windows 10 installation to a new larger hard disk drive. The challenge is that my laptop can only have one disk drive installed at a time, so many of the suggestions I found elsewhere which involved cloning software don't seem to be
    options for me. Ii am looking for suggestions as to the simplest and most reliable way to transfer my system, settings and apps to a new hard drive. Thanks in advance.

CVarga, Apr 6, 2019
  4. Eric Ber Win User

Device not migrated (hard drive)

Hi SRandom,

It looks like the driver that you have installed is not compatible with your device. Is the AHCI driver you installed, the latest from the manufacturer's website? If you will be having issues using your secondary hard drive, I would suggest that you follow
    the steps provided by Andre Da Costa in this
    thread

Should you need further assistance, don't hesitate to get back to us.

Eric Ber, Apr 6, 2019
Thema:

1. Migrating to a new Hard Drive? - Similar Threads - Migrating Hard Drive

2. Migrating a partitioned hard drive to an SSD and another hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrating a partitioned hard drive to an SSD and another hard drive: My OS is Windows 10. I have a 2 TB hard drive, formatted as NTFS, that is partitioned as follows: - System Reserved @ 100 MB 59% free - Local C: @ 886 GB bootable 59% free - Recovery Partition @ 518 MB 100% free - Local F: @ 977 GB 56% free The end goal is to migrate the...
  3. Migrating a partitioned hard drive to an SSD and another hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating a partitioned hard drive to an SSD and another hard drive: My OS is Windows 10. I have a 2 TB hard drive, formatted as NTFS, that is partitioned as follows: - System Reserved @ 100 MB 59% free - Local C: @ 886 GB bootable 59% free - Recovery Partition @ 518 MB 100% free - Local F: @ 977 GB 56% free The end goal is to migrate the...
  4. Migrating a partitioned hard drive to an SSD and another hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Hard Drive migration

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Hard Drive migration: I have 2 lenovo all in 1 computers. One has broken screen so I want to use its 1tb hard drive to replace the 256gb hard drive in the other computer. Both have separate windows 10 licences. I have no data in either of the drives. What can I do? Thanks...
  6. Hard Drive migration

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Hard Drive migration: I have 2 lenovo all in 1 computers. One has broken screen so I want to use its 1tb hard drive to replace the 256gb hard drive in the other computer. Both have separate windows 10 licences. I have no data in either of the drives. What can I do? Thanks...
  7. Hard Drive migration

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Migrating OS to new Hard Drive

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating OS to new Hard Drive: Okay, I think I need some help. I am trying to move my OS from a SSD that runs on SATA to a PCIe NVMe SSD. My motherboard has a native NVMe slot so I was able to plug it in no problem. I can get a reading on the hard drive itself and I made a complete copy of it using...
  9. Hard drive migration

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Hard drive migration: I am getting a bare-bones Intel NUC i5. I was thinking of moving the hard drive from another laptop to the NUC. The hard drive has windows 10 installed on it; will the migration stop the OS from working? Is this even possible? submitted by /u/hotspark226 [link] [comments]...
  10. migrate hard drive to new master hard drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    migrate hard drive to new master hard drive: i want to install anew ssd hard drive as the master drive and transfer all the information from my existing one to the new one https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migrate-hard-drive-to-new-master-hard-drive/43dd4c49-1ea4-4ddc-a12f-71787dbba154