Windows 10: Migrating Users to 10

Discus and support Migrating Users to 10 in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Because my old Hard drive crapped out, I've had to upgrade to windows 10. Every member of my family has their own log in. How can I migrate the data... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Viragodawg, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Migrating Users to 10

Because my old Hard drive crapped out, I've had to upgrade to windows 10. Every member of my family has their own log in. How can I migrate the data from their old profile to the new system?

:)

Viragodawg, Mar 8, 2019
  2. Kreij Win User

Current active users that are friends

The other reason I suggested this is that users can add characters to their username that are not alphanumeric (e.g. user*). This confuses things somewhat when looking at the list.

Kreij, Mar 8, 2019
  3. Rose Ter Win User
    migrate user profile

Hi Adeel,

For us to better understand the problem and provide you the best resolution, please clarify the following:

• What do you mean when you mentioned domain user profile?
    • Are you trying to copy a local user profile to a domain account?
    • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

Regards.

Rose Ter, Mar 8, 2019
  4. Migrating Users to 10

User profile migration – migrate user accounts

I have asked this question on Experts exchange and got good help, however a somewhat meager response and I hope to get more responses here...

Over the spring we conducted a user migration program “survey”. Both for implementation in our SCCM environment but also as to ascertain what possibilities we have to do migrations on the fly.

Often we need to migrate users to another PC without reinstalling the PC and we do have scripts that makes us capable of running USMT on the fly - run from, and storing to, a USB disk.

After a preliminary search on Google, we decided mainly to focus on:

USMT (as it is part of SCCM)

Forensit TransWiz and

Laplink PCmover Express, endorsed by Microsoft.

There are many other user migration solution providers, some part of deployment solution packages, some not. We checked a bunch, but Forensit and Laplink carry some weight and you can find many recommendations in forums etc. especially for Forensit. Both are
    commercial products

None of the two integrates in SCCM but Transwiz can theoretically be used with SCCM, as it can be run by a command line. We mainly decided to test them for “on the fly” purposes though.

USMT

Settings for most research applications we use, like Jitter, Endnote and Reference manager migrates perfectly with our own xml files.

But USMT has some real world technical issues both as to migration capabilities as well as the maintenance that has degraded alarmingly over the last years with Windows 10:

Main issues

We see BIG issues with the user interface migration (Tiles, Start menu, taskbar) that messes up.

AppX Application settings isn’t migrated.

Firefox and Chrome migrations are fixed but Firefox has to be the exact same version or it fails.

We need to check logs manually (we do it with a script) to make sure the profile backed up OK.

Forenzit and Laplink

We have tested both Forensit and Laplink out of the box in different scenarios, from Windows 7 to 10, Windows 10 to Windows 10 to/from domains and to Azure.

Overall, both Transwiz and PCMover Express works with local accounts and domain profiles in the sense that you can login afterwards. (Not all tools we tried worked. Some not at all!!)

Surprisingly both above seem to more or less just copy everything over but as we do not want user account profiles with extensive amounts of simply junk coied over, cache files, temp files etc. this is not a good scenario.

Forensit issues

Most of our custom program settings did not migrate,

PC’s with Office 365 account had a totally crashed Outlook and we had to reinstall the PC.

No help offered:
    http://forum.forensit.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=1590

Migration to Azure simply does not work. Forensit are the only company we found offering migration to Azure but as far as we got it does not work.

Laplink issues

Most of our custom program settings did not migrate or the application would not start afterwards.

PC’s with Office 365 had a totally crashed Outlook and we had to reinstall the PC.

Laplink offers 24 hour support but during the 30 day test period we did not get any of our issues solved.

NO Microsoft Support

As Microsoft Premium support member we also had another surprise down the road. Microsoft does not assist with any issues after using third party migration software. Including Laplink that Microsoft endorses.

They simply refused to assist with our Office 365 issues after learning that we used a third party tool.

Conclusion

As you can probably sense, we’re disappointed. Not surprised though. The way Microsoft has smack implemented their “mobile interface” and insist on making deep technical changes every 6 months, meaning there are 6 different Windows 10 versions out there. add
    to that Windows 7, 8 and 8.1 plus hundreds of thousands of programs, it actually would be a surprise if it was any different.

Update: We have started using EhlerTechs XML files for USMT.

Help

However wiser this leaves us back where we started. With USMT. We now have two people working full time on fixing the remaining issues as described above.

All inputs: Application suggestions and help in general is deeply appreciated.

Please see more on the thread at
    Experts exchange
    prior to answering

Johan Ole Svensson, Mar 8, 2019
Thema:

Migrating Users to 10

1. Migrating Users to 10 - Similar Threads - Migrating Users

2. Is Microsoft's goal to make users migrate to MacOS?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Is Microsoft's goal to make users migrate to MacOS?: Since Windows 10 that I consider best OS so far, Windows 11 and related products are adding small regressions and inconveniences across the board.- You copied idiotic Apple rounded corners, do you now hire blind designers? Did no one really check how apps look when they are...
  3. Is Microsoft's goal to make users migrate to MacOS?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Is Microsoft's goal to make users migrate to MacOS?: Since Windows 10 that I consider best OS so far, Windows 11 and related products are adding small regressions and inconveniences across the board.- You copied idiotic Apple rounded corners, do you now hire blind designers? Did no one really check how apps look when they are...
  4. User profile migration to new Windows 11 PCs

in Windows 10 Gaming
    User profile migration to new Windows 11 PCs: As one department ~170 persons are in a transition to move to another department on new Windows 11 PCs I would like to move, not only relevant documents but preferably, the entire user profiles with them.Most of their functions will remain the same. And so most relevant...
  5. User profile migration to new Windows 11 PCs

User profile migration to new Windows 11 PCs: As one department ~170 persons are in a transition to move to another department on new Windows 11 PCs I would like to move, not only relevant documents but preferably, the entire user profiles with them.Most of their functions will remain the same. And so most relevant...
  6. How do I migrate a Windows 10 user profile to another new Windows 11 PC?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How do I migrate a Windows 10 user profile to another new Windows 11 PC?: I've got an old Windows 10 Pro PC. Most of my data is stored on an external hard drive that's formatted NTFS and I think they are protected - owner: full control only.I'm building a new Windows 11 PC and going to install Windows 11 Pro.Is there a way to migrate my local...
  7. How do I migrate a Windows 10 user profile to another new Windows 11 PC?

How do I migrate a Windows 10 user profile to another new Windows 11 PC?: I've got an old Windows 10 Pro PC. Most of my data is stored on an external hard drive that's formatted NTFS and I think they are protected - owner: full control only.I'm building a new Windows 11 PC and going to install Windows 11 Pro.Is there a way to migrate my local...
  8. What is the best user migration tool?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    What is the best user migration tool?: When reinstalling/replacing PC's or moving PC/user to Azure, we would like to be able to keep the users complete desktop experience somehow.When a user logs in to Azure, or onto a newly deployed PC, they start with spending hours attempting to set up things visually "the way...
  9. What is the best user migration tool?

What is the best user migration tool?: When reinstalling/replacing PC's or moving PC/user to Azure, we would like to be able to keep the users complete desktop experience somehow.When a user logs in to Azure, or onto a newly deployed PC, they start with spending hours attempting to set up things visually "the way...
  10. What is the best user migration tool?

in Windows 10 Customization