Windows 10: Migrating Windows 10 OS from HDD to SSD, keeping data on old HDD as backup drive.

Discus and support Migrating Windows 10 OS from HDD to SSD, keeping data on old HDD as backup drive. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; I am having trouble finding the answer for my situation. I made a clone of my old HDDc: onto a new m.2 SSDF: . I do not want to remove or delete any... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by DIGITAL LEGEND, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Migrating Windows 10 OS from HDD to SSD, keeping data on old HDD as backup drive.

I am having trouble finding the answer for my situation. I made a clone of my old HDDc: onto a new m.2 SSDF: . I do not want to remove or delete any data on my original HDDc:. I want to keep it as a backup and keep it installed on this computer. I rebooted entered bios and selected the new SSDF: as the number 1 priority boot drive. Windows booted from the drive, big difference in speed. I then went to system settings and changed where windows saves all its files to the new SSDF: drive.

The issue is it is still showing the windows logo on the Old HDDc: in windows explorer. Which tells me this migration is not complete. I read that I must change my new SSDF: drive letter to C: for windows to work properly. Can I just change the letter in disk management?

When I do attempt to change the drive letter on my old HDD C: so that the C: drive letter is available for my new SSDF: it mentions that some applications may not work properly because they rely on this C: drive letter specifically.

So now i'm worried about changing the drive letter on my old HDDc: . I just don't want to make any mistakes when I have made it this far.

I appreciate any help.

:)

DIGITAL LEGEND, Jan 13, 2021
  2. Ammaarqv Win User

OS on new SSD, keep existing data on HDD and use as external drive

I want to use a new SSD to run my OS on my PC. I have a lot of data on my HDD and dont want it on the SSD but do want to keep it.

I have read that you shouldn't use an external drive that has Windows installed so how would i go about doing what I need?

I.e. get Windows onto the SSD, replace HDD with SSD, use HDD as external drive, and keep data from HDD on HDD.

Thanks!

(P.s. any guides or instructions to any steps would be great but if not then no issue)

Ammaarqv, Jan 13, 2021
  3. ARIFRASAK Win User
    Migrating from Hdd to ssd

Migrating from Hdd to ssd

Hi ,

i need to migrate from my current hdd to ssd,Without losing data and windows how can i make copy from hdd,Is there any software availabe for that ????i need secure and easy software

ARIFRASAK, Jan 13, 2021
  4. Migrating Windows 10 OS from HDD to SSD, keeping data on old HDD as backup drive.

Can i delete data on HDD after migrating OS to SSD and windows running smoothly on SSD?

I have a 1 TB HDD and now installed a new SSD.I used some software for migrating OS.But now my SSD has automatically become drive C(which i wanted) and the rest of the drives(HDD) are left with same windows C drive data.Can i delete this data now?Will it
    affect the OS?

Also,when i try to reset,will it now work because the recovery drive is on HDD?

Roopkanwar Singh Bains, Jan 13, 2021
Thema:

Migrating Windows 10 OS from HDD to SSD, keeping data on old HDD as backup drive.

1. Migrating Windows 10 OS from HDD to SSD, keeping data on old HDD as backup drive. - Similar Threads - Migrating HDD SSD

2. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD: Hi,If I just migrate my Windows 10 from HDD to SSD but since my HDD has two other drives-D & E, besides C; so after that, if I change the boot option to SSD from HDD as shown above, will the data on drives D & E of my HDD will be formatted as well since I'm just migrating my...
  3. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD: Hi,If I just migrate my Windows 10 from HDD to SSD but since my HDD has two other drives-D & E, besides C; so after that, if I change the boot option to SSD from HDD as shown above, will the data on drives D & E of my HDD will be formatted as well since I'm just migrating my...
  4. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  5. Data Migration from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Data Migration from HDD to SSD: I recently bought a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME M.2 SSD to speed up my computer from the Seagate HDD I had been using. I am trying to move everything off of the HDD and onto the SSD. So, I have tried to use the Samsung Data Migration Software multiple times with each time it...
  6. Data Migration from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Data Migration from HDD to SSD: I recently bought a Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVME M.2 SSD to speed up my computer from the Seagate HDD I had been using. I am trying to move everything off of the HDD and onto the SSD. So, I have tried to use the Samsung Data Migration Software multiple times with each time it...
  7. Data Migration from HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. Windows 10 PRO OS migration from HDD to SSD

Windows 10 PRO OS migration from HDD to SSD: Hi, I have dell inspiron 3542 with Windows 10 Pro genuine version in HDD, and it's digitally activated while upgraded from Windows 10 Home to Pro, I backed up my product ID in Microsoft account, But yesterday I had inserted 2nd SSD caddy in DVD slot, I tried to migrate OS...
  9. Migrating from HDd to ssd

Migrating from HDd to ssd: Hi , i need to migrate from my current hdd to ssd,Without losing data and windows how can i make copy from hdd,Is there any software availabe for that ???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migrating-from-hdd-to-ssd/c2565ea0-ce8a-44b6-a828-e7cdbffa73f6
  10. Migration from hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migration from hdd to ssd: Windows 10 is currently on a 1.5 Tb hdd that is almost full. I want to purchase an ssd to use as the boot/system drive. I do not want to shell out for a large sdd. I do not want to do a fresh install of windows unless I can save all of my settings and not have to reinstall...