Windows 10: Migrating Windows 10 OS partition to SSD

Discus and support Migrating Windows 10 OS partition to SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; So I just installed a new MX300 M2 275GB SSD into my Acer nitro 791g laptop and formatted as GPT. I want to migrate/clone my OS partition to the SSD,... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by hemingway59, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Migrating Windows 10 OS partition to SSD

So I just installed a new MX300 M2 275GB SSD into my Acer nitro 791g laptop and formatted as GPT. I want to migrate/clone my OS partition to the SSD, and wipe the C partition on the old HDD. The first 3 partitions are system reserved I believe with the 3rd being the recovery partition the laptop came with (Windows 8) and I'd like to delete or preferably replace it with my own recovery image.
    I have a few concerns though like what program to use, and how to avoid any errors on bootup (also the consequences of formatting C drive without cleaning the MBR etc). Also, would you recommend I merge the C drive with D or leave it be on its own? Since that would create fragmentation (files would present starting 214gb mark if I merge before it I guess?).
    Thanks.

Migrating Windows 10 OS partition to SSD [​IMG]

:)

hemingway59, Jun 24, 2017
  2. Ivy336289 Win User

how to migrate only the OS to a new SSD

to migrate os to SSD, you need a third-party tool. I recommend you AOMEI Partition Assistant. It offers you a feature called Migrate OS to SSD,
    which can help you transfer your os without effort.

before you start, you need to make sure the system partition on the old hard drive is smaller than or equal to 120GB. Also, you need to download AOMEI Partition Assistant.

then, see below.

1. launch AOMEI Partition Assistant

2. click Migrate os to SSD at the left panel

3. in the new window, click Next

4. select an unallocated space or a partition on your SSD

5. modify the information of your boot partition, including drive letter, size and position. then, click Next and Finish to back to the main page.

6. click Apply at the top left corner and Proceed to start the pending operation. then, just wait.

Ivy336289, Jun 24, 2017
  3. jiminjesu Win User
    Reinstalling Windows 10

Hello,

When I first bought my laptop, it came with Windows 10 installed in the 1TB HDD. I bought a 120GB SSD and managed to migrate the OS over to the SSD. However, this seems to have left a Recovery Partition on the HDD. I deleted that Recovery Partition and now
    I wish to reinstall Windows 10 all over on the SSD and wipe the HDD clean, or in other words, start afresh.

My question would be, when I use the 'reset' function in Windows 10, do it reinstall the OS in the SSD.

Alternatively, can anyone enlighten me as to how the default partitioning would be like in a system like mine?

Many thanks in advance!

jiminjesu, Jun 24, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Migrating Windows 10 OS partition to SSD

Well, if you merged C: drive and D: drive first, then resulting partition would no longer fit onto a 275GB SSD. So that is out.

I recommend Macrium Reflect Free:
    Macrium Software | Macrium Reflect Free

Create a Macrium Reflect rescue drive that the program offers to make for you. Or create a bootable USB flash drive or DVD of Kyhi's Recovery Tools which also contains Macrium Reflect:
    Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

Boot from the rescue/recovery USB drive or DVD that you create.

Clone the 300MB EFI system partition and the C: drive partition to the SSD. After you clone those two partitions, under the Macrium restore menu is a utility to fix Windows boot problems. Run that utility. Select the Windows installation on the SSD to fix - ignore the Windows installation on the HDD. Then select the EFI System partition on the SSD to repair. After that is done, shutdown the computer, pull the cable from the old HDD and see if you can boot from the SSD. If you can, then you can reconnect the HDD and do with what you want to.

NavyLCDR, Jun 24, 2017
  5. Hey, what about the 600MB partition will it be recreated on its own? Or do I just let it remain on the old HDD?

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    You don't really need it.

NavyLCDR, Jun 24, 2017
  7. Alright, I successfully cloned the EFI partition and Windows to the SSD. However, roughly 15-20sec after bootup, I get presented with a Windows 10 on volume 2 and volume 6 blue screen asking me to choose which one to boot.
    How do I get rid of it? And what do I do now about the old HDD partition with windows, do I format and merge it to the D drive or leave it be as separate?

8. NavyLCDR New Member

Once you get into the Windows 10 running from the SSD, run MSCONFIG. Go to the boot tab. There you should be able to delete the extra boot menu entry.

Make sure the computer boots with the HDD cable disconnected. Once you get the extra boot menu entry deleted, and you are sure the computer is booting from the SSD and not the HDD, then you can safely delete the old Windows partition on the HDD and expand the D: drive partition to fill the empty space.

NavyLCDR, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Migrating Windows 10 OS partition to SSD - Similar Threads - Migrating partition SSD

2. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD: Hi,If I just migrate my Windows 10 from HDD to SSD but since my HDD has two other drives-D & E, besides C; so after that, if I change the boot option to SSD from HDD as shown above, will the data on drives D & E of my HDD will be formatted as well since I'm just migrating my...
  3. MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    MIGRATION OF OS FROM HDD TO SSD: Hi,If I just migrate my Windows 10 from HDD to SSD but since my HDD has two other drives-D & E, besides C; so after that, if I change the boot option to SSD from HDD as shown above, will the data on drives D & E of my HDD will be formatted as well since I'm just migrating my...
  4. Migrating only the os from un-partitioned HDD to SSD?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating only the os from un-partitioned HDD to SSD?: HDD has only one partition, in which is the windows 10 also. So how can I do it? Should I (if it's possible) split the HDD to allocate for Windows and clone only that particular partition? How to do that if it's possible? I also want to keep anything else on HDD, I don't want...
  5. Migrating OS to SSD

Migrating OS to SSD: To keep it short: Migrating OS from HDD to SSD. Problem is the EFI boot partition (16 Mb) and another unnamed partition are on the SSD. Somehow, the main Windows files are on the C: drive (HDD) and the boot is on the SSD. Aside from that, nothing else on the solid drive....
  6. Migrating Windows OS to new SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Migrating Windows OS to new SSD: Hi all, I have an HP Envy that currently has a 1TB HDD, but I'm expecting a new machine, a Lenovo Thinkpad P53, in the following week or so. That configuration also has a 1TB HDD, however, I also bought an extra 500GB SSD from Crucial and made sure it's compatible with the...
  7. Migrating Window 10 OS to a partition drive.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrating Window 10 OS to a partition drive.: Hello there, I was wondering if it's possible to migrate the OS from C drive to D drive without the need to reformat the computer? If can't, is it possible to only move other files and program to other partition but leaving only the OS in the C drive?...
  8. Trouble migrating OS to an SSD

Trouble migrating OS to an SSD: So, last week I got myself an SSD to use in my desktop PC. And when I try to migrate the whole OS with all my files and installed applications using Macrium. I get an error when I try to boot from the SSD, after all the copying process. And whatever I try doesn't help. Does...
  9. migrating OS to new ssd

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    migrating OS to new ssd: How can I migrate my os to my new ssd without going through any updates and so forth? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/migrating-os-to-new-ssd/e6936d37-08ae-469a-b831-f77b68db6072
  10. Migrate OS to SSD

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrate OS to SSD: I cannot figure out how to move windows 10 os to new SSD. The C drive is not partitioned so the 1.8 TB drive is trying to migrate to the 500gb SSD, which it will not allow me to do. Is there a way to seperate just the OS from the C drive ?...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 move os partition to ssd

2. windows migrate partition

3. minitool partion wizard will not migrate os

4. efi system partition migrate ssd,
  5. efi system partition migrating ssd,
  6. when migrating to a new windows 10 computer should i restore the efi system partition,
  7. transfer os acer nitro to new m2 ssd,
  8. must m2 ssd be ntfs formatted before migrating windows 10 to it from hdd