Windows 10: Migrating Windows 10 to a new computer

Discus and support Migrating Windows 10 to a new computer in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; While making a list of parts for my upcoming PC build, I was wondering if it is possible to install an HDD from an older prebuilt system and transfer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by sb69420, Jul 7, 2020.

1. sb69420 Win User

Migrating Windows 10 to a new computer

While making a list of parts for my upcoming PC build, I was wondering if it is possible to install an HDD from an older prebuilt system and transfer Windows 10 to an SSD in the new build. Would it work? If so, would I still need an activation key?

:)

sb69420, Jul 7, 2020
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Jul 7, 2020
  3. CjAlfonso Win User
    Migrating legacy xp computer to new Windows 10 computer

Thank you for your response. The Windows 10 computer will be a NEW Dell Inspiron with Windows 10 pre installed.

Again thank you for the logical answer. Now I am seeking the technical answer. Is there a written step by step tutorial on this exhausting procedure. I need to create new user accounts and configure them. Install all new software and restore data. I
    expect this will cost $2000 to $3000 and 200 hours of labor. I have done these types of migrations many years ago and I anticipate seeing every imaginable error message that msft has written

CjAlfonso, Jul 7, 2020
  4. aarnstone Win User

migrating windows 10 to a new computer

I bought a retail version of windows8/8.1 and then upgraded to windows 10. my computer is 8 years old and i plan on getting a new i7 skylake chip based computer before the end of the year. the question is how do i migrate my C: drive and its programs to
    the new computer? do i just install 10 on the new computer's C: drive and then migrate from the old computer's C: drive to it?

aarnstone, Jul 7, 2020
Thema:

1. Migrating Windows 10 to a new computer - Similar Threads - Migrating computer

2. My computer is not reading my Hard Disk - Error message 'Device Not Migrated'

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My computer is not reading my Hard Disk - Error message 'Device Not Migrated': Tried troubleshooting, updating, reinstalling, etc. but all in vain. I cannot access any of my files neither could I see my hard disk in the file explorer. The hard disk is only appearing in device manager and in Events it is showing 'Device not migrated'...
  3. How do I migrate my Adobe Acrobat 9 to a new computer?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    How do I migrate my Adobe Acrobat 9 to a new computer?: How do I migrate my Acrobat to a new computer? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-do-i-migrate-my-adobe-acrobat-9-to-a-new/25f6726c-b362-4e2f-bead-0bb3bfd3eb0e
  4. New computer with same microsoft login as old computer. Can't migrate system

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New computer with same microsoft login as old computer. Can't migrate system: I downloaded and installed Win 10 to a new computer from Microsoft so that I could use PC Trans to migrate my system and accounts and files from my old machine to my new machine. However, since my email address and password are the same, PC Trans thinks they're the same...
  5. Computer hangs on startup for ages after migrating to new mobo/cpu

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer hangs on startup for ages after migrating to new mobo/cpu: Hello, I recently upgraded my mobo/cpu in my desktop and ever since this has happened, Windows hangs on startup for anywhere between 10-30 minutes on the logo and spinning dots screen. On my old PC this screen wouldn't show for more than a second. My windows activation...
  6. Windows10 Migration from M.2 SSD to new computer with M.2 NVME SSD & Hardware

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows10 Migration from M.2 SSD to new computer with M.2 NVME SSD & Hardware: I need help! I upgraded my computer to a ROG x570-I motherboard and Ryzen 9 3900 processor; and while i was at it, I cloned my m.2 ssd with windows from Arconis and moved it to a new "rocket" gen4 m.2 using the pcie. It won't boot. Asus doesn't show it in the boot drive...
  7. Migrate WIndows 10 licence to new computer

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Migrate WIndows 10 licence to new computer: Hello, I haven't found the specific answer I'm looking for, hence opening this new question. I bought two Windows 7 pro licences back when it was a thing. Installed onto two identical computers (the wife's and myself). Then came the Windows 10 free update. Both...
  8. Complete migration from old Windows 10 Computer to new Windows 10 Computer. How do I do it?

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Complete migration from old Windows 10 Computer to new Windows 10 Computer. How do I do it?: How do I migrate from old PC to new PC? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/complete-migration-from-old-windows-10-computer-to/36fa8054-545f-4408-9ca8-9e08ab453a11"
  9. Migrating legacy xp computer to new Windows 10 computer

Migrating legacy xp computer to new Windows 10 computer: I need help in starting up a new Win 10 computer and migrating from a legacy xp computer. My local Microsoft store tells me this is not truly possible...
  10. Migration to a new computer

Migration to a new computer: I have a Windows 10 OS on my current computer. I bought a new computer with Windows 10 installed. I want to migrate files/apps/programs from the old computer to the new one in the simplest way possible without investing in any transfer software. Many of my files/documents are...