Windows 10: Migrating Windows 10 to ssd with Windows 7 on a second drive

Discus and support Migrating Windows 10 to ssd with Windows 7 on a second drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; Having no luck here so I need some help. I'm trying to replace a hdd Win 10 installation with a cloned ssd. I have the following setup: Disk 0:... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by Ben75, Mar 25, 2021.

1. Ben75 Win User

Migrating Windows 10 to ssd with Windows 7 on a second drive

Having no luck here so I need some help. I'm trying to replace a hdd Win 10 installation with a cloned ssd.

I have the following setup:

Disk 0: Windows 10 Pro installation (OS build 19041.867)
    Disk 1: Windows 7 (disk also contains EFI boot sector)
    Disk 2: Storage
    Disk 3: New SSD with Windows 10 cloned from disk 0 (using AOMEI)

All drives are GPT, motherboard BIOS set to UEFI boot. BIOS recognizes the new ssd.

I can't get the system to boot from the new SSD. Upon completion of the cloning process, I shut down the cpu and disconnected the power on the old Windows 10 disk but when trying to boot am met with BSOD error 0xc000000e (failure to load winload.efi) and startup repair fails. Windows 7 will boot fine from this environment.

I think the problem lies with the fact that since windows 7 was present while adding Windows 10 some years ago, the Boot Manager is on Disk 1 and not recognizing the new SSD as a valid boot device.

I've reviewed a number of articles and advice on rebuilding the boot record, but since it resides on Disk 1 I'm wary of fiddling with it because making a mistake there would be trouble since my original Windows 10 will not boot without it, so I need a pro's advice. Would appreciate any help that could be offered.

:)

Ben75, Mar 25, 2021
  2. Ahhzz Win User

Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Mar 25, 2021
  3. Installing Windows 10 using Windows 7 key

Hi guys,
    Okay, so I wanted to know, I currently have a pc at home with a paid Windows 7 installed. I am getting a new computer either Friday or Monday with an SSD. Seeing as I want Windows 10 now and not 7 and I want it on my SSD how to I get to do this. I already downloaded a Windows 10 file in order to make one of my flash drives eligible for a windows 10 installation.

Will it be possible for me to just install windows 10 on the new SSD with this flash drive using my Windows 7 key, whilst my original windows 7 is still installed on the old Hard drive. And if it is how to I go about deleting my old OS from the HDD, seeing as I also want to use that HDD in my new pc, without formatting all the games I have on it currently?

Thank you in advance

MichaelDFF, Mar 25, 2021
  4. Jborg Win User

windows 10 slow boot

I was having a slow boot issue on my Windows 7 install a little while back. It would take about 30 - 40 extra seconds to boot up for whatever reason.

I would try following these steps, while this didn't solve my issue, it did increase Read/Write to where it should be.

10 Tips for SSD Optimization in Windows 7 - Part 1

Looks to be similar to this: SSD Optimization for your Windows Gaming PC and Tips and Tricks

In the end, I had to reinstall my Windows 7 entirely to fix the booting issue. It was taking around 35 seconds to boot, and after the fresh install it takes about 7 seconds to boot.

Jborg, Mar 25, 2021
Thema:

1. Migrating Windows 10 to ssd with Windows 7 on a second drive - Similar Threads - Migrating ssd second

2. Migrate Windows 10 to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Migrate Windows 10 to SSD: Hi, I just bought a new Kingston A400 SSD for my new pc & want to install Windows 10 on it but the motherboard Asus Prime B660M-A Wifi D4 didn’t list SSD as bootable drive & it recognize the SSD in bios under AHCI mode. I use usb drive as window installer to install window on...
  3. Migrate Windows 10 to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrate Windows 10 to SSD: Hi, I just bought a new Kingston A400 SSD for my new pc & want to install Windows 10 on it but the motherboard Asus Prime B660M-A Wifi D4 didn’t list SSD as bootable drive & it recognize the SSD in bios under AHCI mode. I use usb drive as window installer to install window on...
  4. Migrating Windows 10 to new ssd drive.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Migrating Windows 10 to new ssd drive.: I need to retire my very old hdd. I am hoping that I can transfer my existing installation from drive to drive without a lot of trouble. Is this possible?...
  5. MIGRATE WINDOWS 10 TO SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    MIGRATE WINDOWS 10 TO SSD: Hi, I want to move windows 10 to a 120 GB SSD, but I have a 1 TB HDD, and I have used almost 80% of it. My plan is just to move windows 10 to the SSD and leave the HDD like it is. Is it possible?...
  6. Migrating Windows 10 to Second Partition on a Windows 7 Hard Drive....

Migrating Windows 10 to Second Partition on a Windows 7 Hard Drive....: I have two hard drives on my Desktop PC. One hard drive has Windows 10, the other hard disk has Windows 7. I have been multi-booting by changing which disk to boot in Bios. I would like to clone my Windows 10 to a second partition on the hard drive that has my Windows 7 hard...
  7. Migrating Windows 10 to Second Partition on a Windows 7 Hard Drive....

in Windows 10 Support
    Migrating Windows 10 to Second Partition on a Windows 7 Hard Drive....: I have two hard drives on my Desktop PC. One hard drive has Windows 10, the other hard disk has Windows 7. I have been multi-booting by changing which disk to boot in Bios. I would like to clone my Windows 10 to a second partition on the hard drive that has my Windows 7 hard...
  8. Migrating Windows to Replacement SSD Drive

Migrating Windows to Replacement SSD Drive: Hi I'm looking to replace my dying HDD drive in my Toshiba Satellite C660-22V laptop with a new crucial SSD drive but would like to get advice on whether I will be able to activate windows 10 once installed on the new drive? The device itself was originally supplied with...
  9. Migrating a Windows 10 installation to a new SSD drive

Migrating a Windows 10 installation to a new SSD drive: Before I ask my question, I've read this post so I understand the basic procedure. My exact situation however is that I intend to keep the existing drive with Windows on it installed, but just transfer my Windows installation to a new SSD that I plan on installing. What do...
  10. Migrated Windows to an SSD drive

Migrated Windows to an SSD drive: After a lot of hassle as per usual with any Microsoft product, I eventually managed to reinstall Windows 10 using the same Windows serial I got off the old disk. I couldn't clone the old disk as I got the blue screen each time. Anyway, it now says I have an unauthorized...