Windows 10: Migrating Windows Drive C: to a new PC

Discus and support Migrating Windows Drive C: to a new PC in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Bought a new PC HP Elite 8300 Tower and Monitor ViewSonic VP3481. Installed C: hard drive from old computer in hopes of avoiding the need to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by GregCowling, Aug 25, 2020.

1. Migrating Windows Drive C: to a new PC

Bought a new PC HP Elite 8300 Tower and Monitor ViewSonic VP3481. Installed C: hard drive from old computer in hopes of avoiding the need to reinstalling all of my programs. I had to use a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter on the PC and them an HDMI cable from there to the monitor. When I select the PC as the input source the monitor automatically goes back to my cable TV media player as the source.

Is there something I can do to fix this or do I have to reinstall the C: drive that came with the PC? If I have to do that is there a way to avoid having to reinstall all of my programs?

Not sure if I am picking the right topic below.

:)

GregCowling, Aug 25, 2020
  2. RonBarker Win User

Can't find the C drive in Windows 10

All the suggestions above work, however, the easiest way to find C Drive is to type>This PC in the search box>Right click on>This PC and choose pin to taskbar. The hiding of C Drive and other Drives is another one of Microsoft's one-step forward and three-steps
    back.

RonBarker, Aug 25, 2020
  3. Ahhzz Win User
    Windows 10 Tweaks

Pressing “Windows+Pause Break” (it’s up there next to scroll lock) opens the “System” Window.

Windows 10: In the new version of Windows, Explorer has a section called Quick Access. This includes your frequent folders and recent files. Explorer defaults to opening this page when you open a new window. If you’d rather open the usual This PC, with links to your drives and library folders, follow these steps:

• Open a new Explorer window.
    • Click View in the ribbon.
    • Click Options.
    • Under General, next to “Open File Explorer to:” choose “This PC.”
    • Click OK

credit to Lifehacker.

Ahhzz, Aug 25, 2020
  4. Migrating Windows Drive C: to a new PC

Installing Windows on my new C drive

Current Situation: My C Disk is cramming up and I decided to change a new C disk.

Currently my computer storage is composed of an SSD (being my C disk) and an HDD. I bought a new SSD and desire to somehow transfer my current system into the new SSD along with the current environmental variables, user data, both program files folder, and
    various other folders instead of installing a brand new system on my new C drive.

Questions I am currently wondering:

1. I noticed the function provided by windows called "Create a system image". Currently my softwares are distributed evenly in my C drive (SSD) and D drive (HDD). I am not changing my HDD, so softwares installed there will not be removed. If I only choose
      to backup my system in my C drive, can I still run my softwares on my HDD after changing a C drive and reinstalling Windows using the generated ISO file?
    2. Does this function "create a system image" pack up the environmental variables, registry, along with all other folders in my C drive, or only the minimal system?
    3. If I extract the system image ISO into my new C drive, can I somehow "extract" from the ISO file to create a new system in my new drive? If not, is it possible to make my new C drive a windows Boot USB, and directly installing the windows system onto itself?
    4. What is your suggested method of making this move?

Thank you for your help!!

Power_tile, Aug 25, 2020
Thema:

Migrating Windows Drive C: to a new PC

1. Migrating Windows Drive C: to a new PC - Similar Threads - Migrating Drive

2. DEVICE DISK DRIVE IS NOT MIGRATING AFTER UPDATED WINDOWS.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    DEVICE DISK DRIVE IS NOT MIGRATING AFTER UPDATED WINDOWS.: Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date: 10-02-2024 12:29:39 Event ID: 442 Task Category: None Level: Warning Keywords: User: SYSTEM Computer: WIN-JLA9VFUHSHA Description: Device settings for...
  3. DEVICE DISK DRIVE IS NOT MIGRATING AFTER UPDATED WINDOWS.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DEVICE DISK DRIVE IS NOT MIGRATING AFTER UPDATED WINDOWS.: Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date: 10-02-2024 12:29:39 Event ID: 442 Task Category: None Level: Warning Keywords: User: SYSTEM Computer: WIN-JLA9VFUHSHA Description: Device settings for...
  4. I have recently updated windows and now my disk drive is not migrating.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I have recently updated windows and now my disk drive is not migrating.: Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date: 10-02-2024 12:29:39 Event ID: 442 Task Category: None Level: Warning Keywords: User: SYSTEM Computer: WIN-JLA9VFUHSHA Description: Device settings for...
  5. I have recently updated windows and now my disk drive is not migrating.

I have recently updated windows and now my disk drive is not migrating.: Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP/Configuration Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP Date: 10-02-2024 12:29:39 Event ID: 442 Task Category: None Level: Warning Keywords: User: SYSTEM Computer: WIN-JLA9VFUHSHA Description: Device settings for...
  6. My external hard drive won't read - device not migrated

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My external hard drive won't read - device not migrated: Hi - my external harddrive doesn't get picked up. I've tried to follow a few threads but it doesn't work - see screenshot - it says the device not migrated. On disk management- I've tried Uninstalling but it doesn't work.Can anyone help?Thanks...
  7. My external hard drive won't read - device not migrated

My external hard drive won't read - device not migrated: Hi - my external harddrive doesn't get picked up. I've tried to follow a few threads but it doesn't work - see screenshot - it says the device not migrated. On disk management- I've tried Uninstalling but it doesn't work.Can anyone help?Thanks...
  8. My external hard drive won't read - device not migrated

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  9. Sold wrong windows 10 key type and cannot migrate to drive.

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Sold wrong windows 10 key type and cannot migrate to drive.: I am currently trying to move windows 10 from a 1tb drive to a 256gb drive and I do not want to uninstall 800gb of storage. My solution was to just reinstall windows on the new drive and swap the key over to the fresh download but my key says its an OEM key so I cant move it....
  10. Sold wrong windows 10 key type and cannot migrate to drive.

Sold wrong windows 10 key type and cannot migrate to drive.: I am currently trying to move windows 10 from a 1tb drive to a 256gb drive and I do not want to uninstall 800gb of storage. My solution was to just reinstall windows on the new drive and swap the key over to the fresh download but my key says its an OEM key so I cant move it....