Windows 10: Migrating Windows from AMD PC to Intel PC

Discus and support Migrating Windows from AMD PC to Intel PC in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, I'm running Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) on my current Desktop PC which is an AMD based model. I heard that If I hook up my C drive to another PC... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by PeterVerhaert, Feb 17, 2017.

1. Migrating Windows from AMD PC to Intel PC

Hi all,
    I'm running Windows 10 Pro (64 bit) on my current Desktop PC which is an AMD based model.
    I heard that If I hook up my C drive to another PC (with a completely different hardware setup), Windows 10 will figure this out, download and replace the necessary drivers and just run as if nothing happened...
    Is this true?
    I'm switching from an AMD based config to a Intel based machine. I was planning on cloning my C drive to an empty one just to be save, but can I expect to hook up the clone drive (bit for bit copy) to the new PC and have a functional PC? If not, what are the options to get my current C drive (or it's clone) running on the new machine, without having to do a clean install of Windows and reinstalling everything I have on my current PC?
    Thanks a lot,
    Peter

:)

PeterVerhaert, Feb 17, 2017

2. Cpu Massively underclocked

AMD OR INTEL SOCKET?

I would go and get all the driver packages for that PC from the PC manufacturers website for windows 10 and download and install them all and restart PC

seahawks65, Feb 17, 2017
  3. I want to migrate from an AMD windows 10 to an intel windows 10 laptop

I have a laptop with Windows 10 AMD processor that I want to migrate to a new laptop with an Intel processor, with windows 10. Is there an easy way to do it?

geronimo427, Feb 17, 2017
  4. Winuser Win User

Migrating Windows from AMD PC to Intel PC

Depends. Is your OS a OEM or full retail? I went from a Intel PC that died to a new Intel PC with a full retail OS version without any problems. It even remained activated. If it's OEM and tied to the original computer you could activate it by purchasing a new license. I purchased a download version of Widows 10 Pro from Newegg and just used the key they emailed me to upgrade from a home version.

Winuser, Feb 17, 2017
  5. I would not do it, you might not be even able to boot, you might get BSODs afterwards, but it might just work.

Can You Move a Windows Installation to Another Computer?

TairikuOkami, Feb 17, 2017
  6. Hi all,
    Thanks for the replies!
    I Have an updated version from windows 7 which was Retail. Do you think it's transferable?
    Where do I find my Windows 10 Key? Is it on the PC somewhere? I have the key for Windows 7, that's on the install disk.
    Thanks a lot,
    Peter

7. If you did the free upgrade your Windows 10 key will be a generic key. The pro key ends in 3V66T. A PC will only activate with that key if it has a Digital License on record on the activation server. This utility will show you what keys are in use.
    ShowKeyPlus
    I personally wouldn't just swap the drive to new hardware like that. Especially a big change like that. You'll more than likely have issues. Just my personal opinion though. Others may disagree. It will fail activation for sure if you just swap the drive like that. Clean install and it will more than likely activate with the Windows 7 key.

alphanumeric, Feb 17, 2017
  8. Migrating Windows from AMD PC to Intel PC

Hi again,
    I found my Windows 10 Key. I checked using the slmgr /dlv command and it's retail (just like windows 7 was). As I said I was going to try with a cloned drive anyway. Could it work, or is AMD to Intel to big of a change? If it doesn't work, would it do any harm to the PC? (bios maybe?)
    Thanks a lot,
    Peter

9. My new PC comes with windows 10 home on it as a 30 days trial. Can I use my current key to activate and upgrade from there?
    If so, is there any way of easily transferring everything from my current C drive to the new one, so that reinstalling everything will not be necessary? (Sorry, didn't see the previous post, hence the out of time reply above...)
    Thanks a lot,
    Peter

10. Winuser Win User
    Is Windows 10 a 30 day trial or some of the installed software? I've only seen new computers come with installed trial programs.

Winuser, Feb 17, 2017
  11. If the current key ends in 3V66T, no you can't use it to upgrade to Pro on the new PC. It will upgrade but not activate if you use that key. If you want to try swapping the drive go for it. I personally wouldn't do it. As far as I know it won't, and can't do anything to the BIOS. Worst case scenario is a BSOD. Speaking of BIOS, is the current PC Legacy or UEFI, same question for the new PC, Legacy or UEFI.

alphanumeric, Feb 17, 2017
  12. How do I find that out? What is Legacy or UEFI? I bought the new PC as a complete package, so the trial version is allready on there when I get the machine.
    Thanks a lot,
    Peter

13. NavyLCDR New Member
    There is no such thing as a 30-day trial version of Windows 10. Whomever you bought the computer from lied to you. Windows 10 is either activated or it isn't. If it isn't activated, it is illegal to use. Paragraph 5 of the End Users License Agreement:

5. Authorized Software and Activation. You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method.

NavyLCDR, Feb 17, 2017
  14. If I can't use my current key to activate, how do I get the pro version running on my new machine then? Do I need to buy another key?

Thema:

Migrating Windows from AMD PC to Intel PC

1. Migrating Windows from AMD PC to Intel PC - Similar Threads - Migrating AMD Intel

2. Migrating Windows From Old PC to Fresh Home Built PC

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating Windows From Old PC to Fresh Home Built PC: I have read various articles on Windows licensing, but am still confused and cannot understand if I can do the following or not. My old PC was home built and used a purchased copy of Windows 7 license. It was upgraded to Windows 10. That PC is going to be discarded 11 years...
  3. Migrating files from PC to iMac

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Migrating files from PC to iMac: Hello, I am following the instructions from Apple to migrate my files from my very old PC. At the Start menu, I click ‘run’ then ‘cmd’, add ‘chkdsk’ at the prompt and receive the message ‘Access Denied as you do not have sufficient privileges or the disk may be locked by...
  4. Migrate data from windows 7 pc to windows 10 pc

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Migrate data from windows 7 pc to windows 10 pc: I followed MS instructions on backup/restore from my Windows 7 pc, and then followed instructions on my windows 10 pc to restore files. Now I cannot find any files anywhere. The W10 pc shows that there is now data stored on the SSD....
  5. migrating from a PC to an Intel NUC with same SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    migrating from a PC to an Intel NUC with same SSD: Hi,My PC has an ASUS M/B with AMD CPU and thought the simplest way was to just place the SSD in the NUC. All seems to be OK but then the screen went blank - I guess M/B drivers may be conflicting with Intel's!!!I have done an ISO image to a NAS and understand that if I just...
  6. Changing from Intel to AMD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Changing from Intel to AMD: Hello, I have recently bought a new amd cpu and motherboard to replace my old intel i5, how do I change these two without having to reinstall windows 10retail version and all my programs, games etc. Thanks....
  7. Switching from Intel to AMD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Switching from Intel to AMD: Which means reinstallation of Windows 10. I just need to know what will happen to those software that are installed anywhere else than C:/ ? Will they run on the new Win 10 as expected? How about their registry keys? submitted by /u/Shantanu08_YT [link] [comments]...
  8. Switch from Intel to Amd

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Switch from Intel to Amd: Hello guys, I need help with my graphic card, I have 2 graphic cards, Intel and amd7400 on my laptop hp pavilion g6. I need to switch graphics to Amd because a long time ago, a friend maybe did something on these graphic cards because he said that will save energy for me...
  9. Migrate Windows 10 from pc to another

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Migrate Windows 10 from pc to another: I updated an atom net book from XP to a retail Windows 7 pro which I updated to Windows 10 pro (free update) which is activated with a digital licence. The not book atom is updated to 1607, which is all that is supported, I want to retire the notebook and migrate the OS to...
  10. Migrating from a Windows 10 pc to a Windows 8.1 PC?

in Windows 10 Support
    Migrating from a Windows 10 pc to a Windows 8.1 PC?: My sister lives in the same house with me, and her PC is about 12 years old, and getting pretty decrepit. BUT we recently "free upgraded" it to Windows 10. So I spec'd out a newer one and today, we just bought her a nice refurbished ASUS AMD FX-8310 64-Bit with 8 GB, a 2...