Windows 10: Migrating Windows to another virtual machine

Discus and support Migrating Windows to another virtual machine in Windows 10 Virtualization to solve the problem; I have an iMac running Parallels with Win 10 Pro in a virtual machine. This Win 10 Pro was an upgraded for free from Win 7 Pro a few years ago. I think... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Virtualization' started by Jon12345, Oct 11, 2020.

1. Jon12345 Win User

Migrating Windows to another virtual machine

I have an iMac running Parallels with Win 10 Pro in a virtual machine. This Win 10 Pro was an upgraded for free from Win 7 Pro a few years ago. I think it was an upgrade only path, which I presume means that I cannot download a fresh Win 10 Pro and install that. i.e. I need the earlier Win 7 installed.

Due to some issues with Parallels on this virtual machine, I would like to install Win 10 Pro on another Parallels virtual machine. So, I would need a Windows 10 image file.

My question is, can I get this image file from somewhere? Would I need to put my existing serial number in there? Will that disable my old Windows 10 installation, meaning I cannot then migrate over all my data and apps?

:)

Jon12345, Oct 11, 2020

2. Lost activation after virtual machine migration

Thanks for confirming my question.

I tried activation via Chat Support, then they noticed me that my Windows 10 with my company's volume key can't be reactivated by telephone activation center, and suggested me to reinstall Windows 7, then upgrade to Windows 10.

However, this is the worst solution, because I don't even know what I did when I was doing the migration of virtual machines caused my Windows 10 lost its activation.

Naoki Rinmous, Oct 11, 2020
  3. S_and_S Win User
    Installing a Virtual Machine in Windows 10

Step #1 is to decide which virtual machine software you wish to install.

The three most popular choices are:

• VirtualBox (from Oracle)
    • VMWare Workstation Player (from VMWare); and
    • Hyper-V (from Microsoft)

Once you've made your choice you can find detailed, illustrated instructions for installing each one on the internet.

As a personal suggestion: You might find it easier to use either VirtualBox or VMWare Workstation Player. Hyper-V is more complicated to setup.

Between VirtualBox and VMWare, I think you'll find VirtualBox more user-friendly, and it has the advantage of allowing you to create checkpoints - backups of your virtual machine - whereas to do that in VMWare you'll need to upgrade to their (expensive!)
    paid version.

S_and_S, Oct 11, 2020
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

@Jon12345

Esentially what we need to do here is a "bog standard V2V" -- (Virtual to Virtual) conversion. To switch to another VM platform steps 1-8 should do it for you but if you want to update on parallels / install fresh Windows on parallels go to 9). Either way you need to download Macrium Free (or equivalent Disk imaging program that you can run from within your VM).

1) In your Virtual machine (whether on parallels or whatever) save the IMAGE vis using something like Macrium Free to an external device.

2) create a bootable ISO file (from within the Windows VM running on parallels) with Macrium Free

3) Create a New virtual machine with the appropriate software e/g VMware on Windows or whatever - BUT DON'T install the OS - ensure the Virtual HDD though is large enough to restore the image you saved from the "parallels" version. Ensure the bootable device is the iso created in step 2 -- you must do it within the VM on parallels - otherwise the Macrium OS won't be able to boot Windows at it will lack drivers for the (Virtual) HDD.

4) boot the created VM with the boot device as the macrium stand alone iso.

5) restore to the Virtual HDD

6) IMPORTANT STEP -- now select in the stand alone macrium boot program -- "Fix Windows Boot Programs"

7) after that completes shut down the VM

8) start up the VM - setting the boot device to the HDD you restored the OS to.

You might need after boot to add things like VMWare tools if using VMWare, VBOX additions if using VBOX and some updates tro fix the odd bits of missing hardware.

otherwise it should all work fine.

9) If you really want to create a totally NEW VM on parallels -- get the appropriate ISO via UUPDUMP FROM WITHIN THE WINDOWS VM and create the iso by running the cmd file.

Then you can set that iso as the boot device (on parallels VM) and either update or install windows from new.

If updating windows run the setup.exe from the ISO within the Windows VM - otherwise boot the ISO to re-install Windows -- it should already be activated by digital license if your Windows VM is currently activated.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 11, 2020
Thema:

1. Migrating Windows to another virtual machine - Similar Threads - Migrating another virtual

2. Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Virtual Machine: Me want to go to Free Virtual windows thing https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machine/09a68db0-55fb-46e4-8ea2-2238cdaabe20
  3. Migrating Windows to a New Machine

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Migrating Windows to a New Machine: Greetings,I currently have a 9900k machine with a z390 chipset. I am migrating to a 13900kf with a z690 chipset. The machines are/will be dual boot Windows. I have 2 retail keys. Both of my OS 2 and all data partitions are backed up with Macrium Reflect paid version. Am...
  4. virtual windows machine.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    virtual windows machine.: Hi all, I have a device that needs to be updated using a PC, but I only have a Chromebook. Would it be possible to use the windows virtual machine and update it while it's connected to my Chromebook?...
  5. Migrating from one W10 machine to another

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Migrating from one W10 machine to another: I am about to pull the trigger on a new laptop and I am looking for a simple(ish) way to transfer profiles, settings and apps. On mobile phones, it is quite seamless, how about for Windows? What are you guys using? Tks. submitted by /u/Marathonmax [link] [comments]...
  6. Virtual Machine

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Virtual Machine: So, I'm here to ask if using Windows in a VM virtual Machine Legal? Its cause I am not getting accurate answers. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machine/c2e9e1fa-15e4-4532-9864-d114aa139b86
  7. virtual machines

virtual machines: I have windows 10 pro as my main os and i want a copy of the same os so i can play around with the system configurations without harming my main os. How can i do this? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/virtual-machines/8896c12f-46cf-4120-a190-fb287326fdf3
  8. Moving all Virtual machines to another drive

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Moving all Virtual machines to another drive: I have to move all of my virtual machines to a new SSD because the old SSD is out of space. Is it best to use this -> Move Hyper-V Virtual Machine in Windows 10 procedure to move all of my virtual system to another physical drive one by one ? Also once they are moved, will...
  9. Virtual Machine

Virtual Machine: I recently installed Hyper-V on my Lenovo Windows 10 machine and am trying to set up a Virtual Machine. I saw Andre Da Costa's post on Groovypost.com in regards to this. His post was dated January 11, 2019. I have not been able to access the BIOS setup screen, as pictured...
  10. virtual machine

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    virtual machine: I want to build an oracle VM. I have a new PC with UEFI I am not used to. It is set to the old BIOS and secure boot is disabled. I found virtualization by searching and chose to change virtualization from disabled toe enabled. Is this what I should have done to use Oracle's...